22 hours ago, FineCanadianFXs said:

Ditto. I went to law school as a mature student. Never faced any negative attitudes. Most firms and organizations were very interested in my previous experience and maturity. Depending on your age and where you apply, you may sometimes have to answer a question intended to delicately gauge if "you still got the stamina to bill 2400 hrs while taking orders from associates and partners younger than you?"

It comes down to attitude. The successful mature law students in my cohort didn't care about their age, got involved, made friends, and had or developed legal passions just like everyone else. They brought that into recruitment processes and did well because firms and organizations like to hire smart, positive, passionate people. Then there were those who acted like Roger Murdaugh in Lethal Weapon, constantly and vocally expressing im-too-old-for-this-shit attitudes; or who condescended to the younger law students because they thought their age and experience gave them some special legal wisdom powers. Attitude often bleeds into job applications and interviews, and acts as a red flag. That's likely why some people perceive that they've faced some form of age discrimination when what actually happened was a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy.

I haven't been on this forum in years but just stumbled across this thread and want to echo how true this statement is about attitude. The mature students who thrived were those who embraced where there were and why they were there. They joined clubs, made friends with the students fresh out of their undergrad, and didn't rely on old tropes like "I know how these things work in the real world" and "I learned more in my career than any textbook or professor could ever teach me." The mature students who struggled with grades, with OCIs, with the whole law school experience, could never let go of the fact that their past life didn't give them reason to consider themselves above their law school peers. 

And for those in the thread who suggest you won't be able to get into law school, succeed in law school, or get a job because of your age, I too have some anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I went to law school as a mature student, had a 2.85 GPA, 158 LSAT. I've been an A- student the whole way through. Now have a position at a national firm where partners have often brought up my past experience as an asset. You do not need a 170 LSAT and your pre-law school stats aren't necessarily going to dictate your success as a law school student, your attitude and commitment to being a law school student absolutely will. 

• Like 11

Gonna go ahead and say @lazslo93 makes all of the sense here.

Anecdotally, as a mature-ish Windsor grad, I got in, had a blast, got a job and got out. And despite the debt and comparatively rapid onset of adult obligations relative to my colleagues due to my advanced vintage it was one of the best decisions I ever made!

That said, OP my $0.02 is that you need to sort out the reasons you want to be a lawyer.

@Hegdis is right in that simply looking for meaningful work isn't a bad motive per se,  but you've got to be aware that law is not an easy thing to do, especially for someone in your position. There's an oversupply of young grads and intense competition for jobs that are increasingly on average less great than they used to be.

But if you're sure law is what you want to do and are prepared to put in the work, be adaptable, have the right attitude, and your goal is simply to carve out a half decent legal career somewhere in a field that wants you, then dear god Windsor law is not going to be a problem.

A more 'prestigious' school on a resume rarely matters more than what comes out your mouth at an interview. And sure, a younger candidate is more appealing to employers, but a candidate who's prepared for the interview, knows the role they are interviewing for, and can clearly communicate their value to the employer will find a taker.

And you only need one.

That's what I told myself when I applied to law school with my crummy cGPA.
It was  what I told myself when I applied during the articling recruit.
Personally, I think it helps me avoid psyching myself out. And with some of the posts here maybe you need a little bit of that too.

• Like 5

Hey man,

During law school, you'll get to select different electives as you go. I decided to focus on a lot of my optional courses studying business law and criminal law. 

Based on your post, it looks like youre split between family and criminal justice - after three years, you'll a much better idea of what you want to do. And who knows? Maybe something will catch you off guard and inspire your to pursue something random like real estate, labour, or administrative law. My point: don't worry about choosing which field you want to practice in right now. You have your interests, so explore them during the next few years and see which one you like. All law schools encourage networking, have panels, and events with practitioners - you'll be able to ask questions that go beyond the classroom and the associates at these events are usually pretty candid. 

Follow-up question: Where did you teach in Asia? I'm finishing up law school soon, but I have a BEd. from Ontario and kind of miss teaching. I've always wanted to see Asia... would you recommend the experience? Money? Lifestyle? Fulfilling? 

Edited by Legolas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1