Jump to content
TheHarveySpectre

Windsor (Single) vs Dalhousie

Recommended Posts

Hey Everyone, 

I'm posting because I have been admitted to the Windsor Single JD Program and the Schulich School of Law, and am completely torn between the two. These were two of my top choices, and I believe each has its advantages, namely:

Dalhousie:

  • More of an emphasis on Business Law (ability to specialize in Business Law)
  • Reputation
  • Once in a lifetime experience (lived in Ontario my whole life)

Windsor:

  • Located in Ontario (I want to practice in Toronto)
  • Closer to family and friends

I am interested in Business Law (no specific area at the moment) and hope to practice in Toronto. 

Any thoughts on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general advice you’ll hear on this forum is to go to school in the province you want to practice. If you want to practice in Ontario, go to Windsor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TheHarveySpectre said:

Any other opinions on this?

If you are interested in corporate law and want to get a job on bay st at a bigger firm, i would have a look at the distribution of students who secured jobs on bay st from the respective schools. If you know of any firms youre interested in, look into those numbers specifically. 

If you have any questions about Windsor specifically feel free to PM me. Im a 1L and interested in the corporate route. 

Here is the link: http://ultravires.ca/2019/12/toronto-summer-2020-2l-recruit-numbers/

Edited by Boundless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TheHarveySpectre said:

Any other opinions on this?

I also think that you should go to Windsor. Although Dalhousie is stronger in corporate law than Windsor, Windsor also places a number of students in corporate law. Unless you want to practice law in other provinces, go to Windsor because you want to practice in Toronto.

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a tough one. Dal, for all intents and purposes, is a terrific law school and has pretty good placement in Ontario outside of the formal 2L recruit. I actually think Dal is painfully underrated, mostly due to its location. If it was in Ontario, it would probably be an equivalent to Queens and Western. 
 

Based on the 2L recruit data posted above, Windsor seems to have the clear advantage, but you’ll have to be in the top of your class at either school to land a position. Because the chances coming out of both schools aren’t stellar, I’d advise you to consider the realistic possibility that you won’t land a position in the recruit and factor in other considerations into your decision as well. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

This is a tough one. Dal, for all intents and purposes, is a terrific law school and has pretty good placement in Ontario outside of the formal 2L recruit. I actually think Dal is painfully underrated, mostly due to its location. If it was in Ontario, it would probably be an equivalent to Queens and Western. 
 

Based on the 2L recruit data posted above, Windsor seems to have the clear advantage, but you’ll have to be in the top of your class at either school to land a position. Because the chances coming out of both schools aren’t stellar, I’d advise you to consider the realistic possibility that you won’t land a position in the recruit and factor in other considerations into your decision as well. 
 

Also, don’t quote me on this, but I recall seeing some Dal data showing that a significant portion of Schulich Law students come from the Maritime provinces, which may translate into a disinclination for students to apply to the 2L Toronto recruit (due to wanting to be closer to family, friends, etc). So the reported 6% in the report above may be a bit misleading based on how many people are actually applying. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Also, don’t quote me on this, but I recall seeing some Dal data showing that a significant portion of Schulich Law students come from the Maritime provinces, which may translate into a disinclination for students to apply to the 2L Toronto recruit (due to wanting to be closer to family, friends, etc). So the reported 6% in the report above may be a bit misleading based on how many people are actually applying. 

Yeah, many top Dal students pursue and land jobs in the Maritimes and western Canada. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boundless said:

If you are interested in corporate law and want to get a job on bay st at a bigger firm, i would have a look at the distribution of students who secured jobs on bay st from the respective schools. If you know of any firms youre interested in, look into those numbers specifically. 

If you have any questions about Windsor specifically feel free to PM me. Im a 1L and interested in the corporate route. 

Here is the link: http://ultravires.ca/2019/12/toronto-summer-2020-2l-recruit-numbers/

Will do! Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

This is a tough one. Dal, for all intents and purposes, is a terrific law school and has pretty good placement in Ontario outside of the formal 2L recruit. I actually think Dal is painfully underrated, mostly due to its location. If it was in Ontario, it would probably be an equivalent to Queens and Western. 
 

Based on the 2L recruit data posted above, Windsor seems to have the clear advantage, but you’ll have to be in the top of your class at either school to land a position. Because the chances coming out of both schools aren’t stellar, I’d advise you to consider the realistic possibility that you won’t land a position in the recruit and factor in other considerations into your decision as well. 
 

Definitely taking that possibility into consideration. I know Windsor has been doing well on Bay St and places more students there than Dal, but like you said, I see Dal as closer to a Western/Queens and it’s difficult to shake that reputation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheHarveySpectre said:

Definitely taking that possibility into consideration. I know Windsor has been doing well on Bay St and places more students there than Dal, but like you said, I see Dal as closer to a Western/Queens and it’s difficult to shake that reputation

Also, I heard through the grapevine that certain law firms reserve a number of spots for Dal students each year, which is a good thing, because they definitely recognize that top talent isn't just coming from Ontario. They also need to retain a connection with schools like Dal. The 2L student that gets hired from Dal goes back to Halifax and then becomes the ambassador for that firm to attract talent for the next year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Also, I heard through the grapevine that certain law firms reserve a number of spots for Dal students each year, which is a good thing, because they definitely recognize that top talent isn't just coming from Ontario. They also need to retain a connection with schools like Dal. The 2L student that gets hired from Dal goes back to Halifax and then becomes the ambassador for that firm to attract talent for the next year. 

I have heard this as well! Definitely something to consider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dal seems to place pretty well in Toronto, from what I've seen and heard. That'd be my choice though obviously do more research. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prospero said:

I'd go to Dal over Windsor 

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

Dal no questions asked IMO.

6 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

I also think that you should go to Windsor.

13 minutes ago, Madman said:

Go to Windsor IMO.

Always nice when we can give OP a clear consensus!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To echo what others have said above, as I understand it, 50% of Dal's incoming class is always from the Atlantic provinces and 50% from elsewhere. Dal attracts students from all over. There is always a good group of BC students and Alberta students (and of course Toronto folks). Also, there is always a small group from Ottawa. Dal's incoming class is somewhere around 170-180. 

All that to say is keep that in mind when looking at Dal's placement on bay street. My personal opinion has always been that once you factor in how many people actually apply and actually want to end up in Toronto, they have a pretty good placement rate that can't be reflected in the charts by Ultra Vires. Not to say those charts aren't helpful but just that there is more to those numbers. 

 

 

Edited by Caffeinedependant
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is one thing I'm getting from this thread, OP, it's that both schools should provide you with the opportunity to practice in Toronto, though which one provides a "better" advantage for that goal is unclear.

With that in mind, perhaps you should consider your second criteria: whether you would rather have the once in a lifetime experience of Dal, or be closer to family and friends in Windsor, for your decision. This is the place you're going to be living for three years, so figuring which city you'd rather live in should probably play a big factor in your decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Your grades are quite good so I would apply broadly and cross my fingers. The only Canadian law school I've seen that accepts a lot of US transfers from bottom tier schools is U of T. But your grades have to be really good. I'm not sure how they will view your B's. Good luck. 
    • yeah it was a mistake. I posted this in law students when I meant to post in articling students and lawyers and I couldn't delete it after it had been posted. I think I mentioned it in this thread or the one that you linked. 
    • There's been a lot of focus here on IQ but one of the things that makes a good lawyer is a heavy measure of EQ and our friend here McGillicutty has demonstrated why many of my former STEM colleagues lack even a smidgen of EQ.
    • The only thing that matters is that you can get funding at a good interest rate. Scotia has the best offerings, but that doesn't mean that you're out of options if they decline you. In my experience, the bank that you have the longest history with is the one that usually helps you out in situations where your credit isn't up to snuff. 
    • I think you are slightly confused maybemaybe, so I can clear this up for you:  2 year applicants are those that are in their second year of their undergrad degree (will have 60-89 completed credits) by the time they enter law school and they are the ones who require exceptional stats (3.7 and 90th percentile); see excerpt from https://apps.admissions.ualberta.ca/programs/la/la020 ("There is no direct entry from high school into the Juris Doctor program (JD). Exceptional students may be admitted to the program after completing two years of university study with a minimum GPA of 3.7 and 90th percentile Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score. All other students must have completed at least the first three years of a degree before being admitted to the JD."). This applies when you apply in your second year of undergrad.  3rd year applicants are those that are in their 3rd year of university and who will have 90 or more credits by the time they enter law school and they are treated the same as those with degrees. Excerpt from same website " All other students must have completed at least the first three years of a degree before being admitted to the JD." This applies when you apply in your third year of undergrad.  Hope this clears everything up! 

×
×
  • Create New...