TheHarveySpectre

Windsor (Single) vs Dalhousie

Hey Everyone, 

I'm posting because I have been admitted to the Windsor Single JD Program and the Schulich School of Law, and am completely torn between the two. These were two of my top choices, and I believe each has its advantages, namely:

Dalhousie:

• More of an emphasis on Business Law (ability to specialize in Business Law)
  • Once in a lifetime experience (lived in Ontario my whole life)

Windsor:

• Located in Ontario (I want to practice in Toronto)
  • Closer to family and friends

I am interested in Business Law (no specific area at the moment) and hope to practice in Toronto. 

Any thoughts on this?

The general advice you’ll hear on this forum is to go to school in the province you want to practice. If you want to practice in Ontario, go to Windsor.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheHarveySpectre said:

Any other opinions on this?

If you are interested in corporate law and want to get a job on bay st at a bigger firm, i would have a look at the distribution of students who secured jobs on bay st from the respective schools. If you know of any firms youre interested in, look into those numbers specifically. 

If you have any questions about Windsor specifically feel free to PM me. Im a 1L and interested in the corporate route. 

Here is the link: http://ultravires.ca/2019/12/toronto-summer-2020-2l-recruit-numbers/

Edited by Boundless

56 minutes ago, TheHarveySpectre said:

Any other opinions on this?

I also think that you should go to Windsor. Although Dalhousie is stronger in corporate law than Windsor, Windsor also places a number of students in corporate law. Unless you want to practice law in other provinces, go to Windsor because you want to practice in Toronto.

Edited by ArchivesandMuseums
  • Thanks 1

This is a tough one. Dal, for all intents and purposes, is a terrific law school and has pretty good placement in Ontario outside of the formal 2L recruit. I actually think Dal is painfully underrated, mostly due to its location. If it was in Ontario, it would probably be an equivalent to Queens and Western. 

Based on the 2L recruit data posted above, Windsor seems to have the clear advantage, but you’ll have to be in the top of your class at either school to land a position. Because the chances coming out of both schools aren’t stellar, I’d advise you to consider the realistic possibility that you won’t land a position in the recruit and factor in other considerations into your decision as well. 

8 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

This is a tough one. Dal, for all intents and purposes, is a terrific law school and has pretty good placement in Ontario outside of the formal 2L recruit. I actually think Dal is painfully underrated, mostly due to its location. If it was in Ontario, it would probably be an equivalent to Queens and Western. 

Based on the 2L recruit data posted above, Windsor seems to have the clear advantage, but you’ll have to be in the top of your class at either school to land a position. Because the chances coming out of both schools aren’t stellar, I’d advise you to consider the realistic possibility that you won’t land a position in the recruit and factor in other considerations into your decision as well. 

Also, don’t quote me on this, but I recall seeing some Dal data showing that a significant portion of Schulich Law students come from the Maritime provinces, which may translate into a disinclination for students to apply to the 2L Toronto recruit (due to wanting to be closer to family, friends, etc). So the reported 6% in the report above may be a bit misleading based on how many people are actually applying. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Also, don’t quote me on this, but I recall seeing some Dal data showing that a significant portion of Schulich Law students come from the Maritime provinces, which may translate into a disinclination for students to apply to the 2L Toronto recruit (due to wanting to be closer to family, friends, etc). So the reported 6% in the report above may be a bit misleading based on how many people are actually applying. 

Yeah, many top Dal students pursue and land jobs in the Maritimes and western Canada. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boundless said:

If you are interested in corporate law and want to get a job on bay st at a bigger firm, i would have a look at the distribution of students who secured jobs on bay st from the respective schools. If you know of any firms youre interested in, look into those numbers specifically. 

If you have any questions about Windsor specifically feel free to PM me. Im a 1L and interested in the corporate route. 

Here is the link: http://ultravires.ca/2019/12/toronto-summer-2020-2l-recruit-numbers/

Will do! Thank you!

56 minutes ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Definitely taking that possibility into consideration. I know Windsor has been doing well on Bay St and places more students there than Dal, but like you said, I see Dal as closer to a Western/Queens and it’s difficult to shake that reputation

Just now, TheHarveySpectre said:

Definitely taking that possibility into consideration. I know Windsor has been doing well on Bay St and places more students there than Dal, but like you said, I see Dal as closer to a Western/Queens and it’s difficult to shake that reputation

Also, I heard through the grapevine that certain law firms reserve a number of spots for Dal students each year, which is a good thing, because they definitely recognize that top talent isn't just coming from Ontario. They also need to retain a connection with schools like Dal. The 2L student that gets hired from Dal goes back to Halifax and then becomes the ambassador for that firm to attract talent for the next year. 

2 hours ago, HopefulLawyer97 said:

Also, I heard through the grapevine that certain law firms reserve a number of spots for Dal students each year, which is a good thing, because they definitely recognize that top talent isn't just coming from Ontario. They also need to retain a connection with schools like Dal. The 2L student that gets hired from Dal goes back to Halifax and then becomes the ambassador for that firm to attract talent for the next year. 

I have heard this as well! Definitely something to consider

Dal seems to place pretty well in Toronto, from what I've seen and heard. That'd be my choice though obviously do more research. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

I'd go to Dal over Windsor 

1 hour ago, MountainMon said:

Dal no questions asked IMO.

6 hours ago, ArchivesandMuseums said:

I also think that you should go to Windsor.

13 minutes ago, Madman said:

Go to Windsor IMO.

Always nice when we can give OP a clear consensus!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

To echo what others have said above, as I understand it, 50% of Dal's incoming class is always from the Atlantic provinces and 50% from elsewhere. Dal attracts students from all over. There is always a good group of BC students and Alberta students (and of course Toronto folks). Also, there is always a small group from Ottawa. Dal's incoming class is somewhere around 170-180. 

All that to say is keep that in mind when looking at Dal's placement on bay street. My personal opinion has always been that once you factor in how many people actually apply and actually want to end up in Toronto, they have a pretty good placement rate that can't be reflected in the charts by Ultra Vires. Not to say those charts aren't helpful but just that there is more to those numbers. 

Edited by Caffeinedependant
Typos

If there is one thing I'm getting from this thread, OP, it's that both schools should provide you with the opportunity to practice in Toronto, though which one provides a "better" advantage for that goal is unclear.

With that in mind, perhaps you should consider your second criteria: whether you would rather have the once in a lifetime experience of Dal, or be closer to family and friends in Windsor, for your decision. This is the place you're going to be living for three years, so figuring which city you'd rather live in should probably play a big factor in your decision.