Hi everyone!

I'm very excited to have gotten into both TRU and UVIC for this upcoming year. My deadline to confirm my seat at TRU is February 15th and I was initially planning on putting in my deposit as it was my first choice of the offers received at that point. However, I got the call from UVIC just yesterday and am now strongly leaning towards confirming my seat there asap and declining the offer extended by TRU. The biggest factor in favour of UVIC is of course the difference in cost of tuition, and I'm not sure anything at TRU can really counter that. That being said, I'm coming to the lovely people of this forum to 1) confirm I haven't missed any massive factor that should sway me, and 2) accept a bit of a push in formalizing this big step instead of needlessly dragging my decision out :)

Some additional things pulling me towards UVIC: I like Victoria, I like milder weather, I believe it would be easier for me to not have a car, I plan to stay in BC but having a stronger reputation across the country doesn't hurt, and it seems they have more established opportunities for experiential learning. 

This may be a VERY clear decision but like I said it helps to have that confirmation and push, especially from people who understand the process and factors involved.

Edited by lemontrees
edit: formatting

1 minute ago, lemontrees said:

Hi everyone!

I'm very excited to have gotten into both TRU and UVIC for this upcoming year. My deadline to confirm my seat at TRU is February 15th and I was initially planning on putting in my deposit as it was my first choice of the offers received at that point. However, I got the call from UVIC just yesterday and am now strongly leaning towards confirming my seat there asap and declining the offer extended by TRU. The biggest factor in favour of UVIC is of course the difference in cost of tuition, and I'm not sure anything at TRU can really counter that. That being said, I'm coming to the lovely people of this forum to 1) confirm I haven't missed any massive factor that should sway me, and 2) accept a bit of a push in formalizing this big step instead of needlessly dragging my decision out :)

Some additional things pulling me towards UVIC: I like Victoria, I like milder weather, I believe it would be easier for me to not have a car, I plan to stay in BC but having a stronger reputation across the country doesn't hurt, and it seems they have more established opportunities for experiential learning. 

This may be a VERY clear decision but like I said it helps to have that confirmation and push, especially from people who understand the process and factors involved.

uVic is one of the best law schools in Canada. Go to uVic.

• Like 4

Congratulations on both of your offers! 

Definitely go with UVic because it seems you have a preference towards it anyway. They're both great schools but UVic is more established and ultimately would provide you with better/more opportunities that TRU might not yet have. Also, save that $$.

:) Best of luck! 

• Like 2

If you like UVic, I don't see why you wouldn't want to go there. I'm actually kind of jealous how low the tuition is in the west. 

Edited by JusticeLordDenning
  • Like 1

Don't think twice, go to UVic. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lemontrees said:

stronger reputation across the country doesn't hurt

This also applies within BC.

• Like 4

Congrats on your acceptances! I appreciate the growth TRU had gone through in the past few years but you’re not missing out by going for UVic.

• Like 2

Did a search - this is the only legitimate TRU vs UVic thread in the history of this subforum. There have been two other threads: one was about a 2L transfer, and the other was posted by a first-year undergrad.   

Edited by Tagger
  • Haha 3

Thank you everyone for taking the time out of your day to genuinely answer a topic that is seemingly very obvious 😅 

I had been operating on the assumption that I’d be holding my seat at TRU and have some time once other acceptances rolled in to really know my options and make a decision. A sudden final deadline and giving up a good alternative felt drastic. This was the kick I needed to just make the best decision and to make it sooner rather than dragging it out! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QuincyWagstaff said:

This is a question? 

The answer was so obvious it was suspicious

44 minutes ago, Tagger said:

Did a search - this is the only legitimate TRU vs UVic thread in the history of this subforum. There have been two other threads: one was about a 2L transfer, and the other was posted by a first-year undergrad.   

Stay tuned! Next week I’ll be here to bother you guys about whether I stay at UVIC or accept one of those bottom tier US schools that offers you scholarships even though you haven’t applied. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I know you already made your decision by now. I wanted to say (as a TRU grad who thoroughly enjoyed their time at TRU) - there is nothing about TRU that justifies paying a premium over the cost of UVic.

I really really enjoyed my time at TRU. I really thrived there and accomplished a lot. It's a very good school.

That said, it was the only school in BC that admitted me. Had I been accepted to UVic or UBC, I would have declined my offer to TRU.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 5

On 2/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, canuckfanatic said:

I know you already made your decision by now. I wanted to say (as a TRU grad who thoroughly enjoyed their time at TRU) - there is nothing about TRU that justifies paying a premium over the cost of UVic.

I really really enjoyed my time at TRU. I really thrived there and accomplished a lot. It's a very good school.

That said, it was the only school in BC that admitted me. Had I been accepted to UVic or UBC, I would have declined my offer to TRU.

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I really appreciate your perspective and the honest input.

I did end up letting my offer from TRU expire and will be going ahead and accepting the offer from UVIC. Thank you all again for your replies :)

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Half the price for a better school on every metric. No brainer

Edited by AJD19
  • Like 1