Jump to content
bettercallsaul69

Survey: Does the new U of A policy of taking the highest LSAT score hurt or harm your admissions chances?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

I wonder if the decision was made to increase uAlberta's 'brandpower' through """higher""" stats?

Lol that was sorta my point when I was accused of being a troll in the other thread.¬†ūüėā¬†Although I also assumed maybe the applicant pool as a whole has lower LSATs¬†this year,¬†which I was informed is likely not true. I have now accepted that as wishful thinking on my part, cause my stats are meh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, LegallyBrunette95 said:

Lol that was sorta my point when I was accused of being a troll in the other thread.¬†ūüėā¬†Although I also assumed maybe the applicant pool as a whole has lower LSATs¬†this year,¬†which I was informed is likely not true. I have now accepted that as wishful thinking on my part, cause my stats are meh.

Consider applying to TRU. I've heard that even though the admission stats are low, the graduates are doing quite well in the legal market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Consider applying to TRU. I've heard that even though the admission stats are low, the graduates are doing quite well in the legal market.

I've actually had other people suggest this but I didn't do it this cycle and now it's too late (2 days too late, fml). 

Then again, I do have strong ECs. I know everyone says that but I genuinely believe mine are unique, and I also have a learning disability.

So bottom line, I am hoping at least one of the schools I applied to will consider all of this. If not... I shall apply to TRU for 2022. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LegallyBrunette95 said:

I've actually had other people suggest this but I didn't do it this cycle and now it's too late (2 days too late, fml). 

Then again, I do have strong ECs. I know everyone says that but I genuinely believe mine are unique, and I also have a learning disability.

So bottom line, I am hoping at least one of the schools I applied to will consider all of this. If not... I shall apply to TRU for 2022. :)

Hopefully you get in during the holistic round! A learning disability is definitely going to adversely affect your statistics, and they'll consider that once the regular waves are over. Calgary is also very holistic, so strong ECs will be a great asset.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Hopefully you get in during the holistic round! A learning disability is definitely going to adversely affect your statistics, and they'll consider that once the regular waves are over. Calgary is also very holistic, so strong ECs will be a great asset.

That is what I am hoping. Thanks for this encouraging comment. I did apply to Calgary, so fingers crossed! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

165 - one write.

 

I think this change will make it much more difficult for me to get in. Its very difficult to know what percentage of students applying this year make taken it multiple times, and how many would have a drastically different score (like a 10 point jump). My lower GPA makes my chances much more difficult.

 

Best of luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ttallent What's the lowest accepted index from this wave that you've calculated? I believe it's a 246 this time 'round, just wanted to confirm you got the same number

Edited by bettercallsaul69
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

There hasn't been a single acceptance yet below a 160 highestLSAT.

Just from glancing at last years' admitted thread, this years' index seems to be higher. Around the same time last year, they were admitting people with 154 to 157 LSAT scores.

As many of us had predicted, the switch to the highest LSAT and the fact that more people are applying seems to be making this cycle much more competitive.

Sorry to many of you who are on the fence with ~242 index scores, I don't think you got a good shot of getting in. I'm guessing its going to be a few points higher this year. Likely 244 or 245.

Edited by LSATGRIND69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LSATGRIND69 said:

Just from glancing at last years' admitted thread, this years' index seems to be higher. Around the same time last year, they were admitting people with 154 to 157 LSAT scores.

As many of us had predicted, the switch to the highest LSAT and the fact that more people are applying seems to be making this cycle much more competitive.

Sorry to many of you who are on the fence with ~242 index scores, I don't think you got a good shot of getting in. I'm guessing its going go be a few points higher this year. Likely 244 or 245.

Yeah, the combo of more competition + highestLSAT is gonna bump it up, probably around a 245.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LSATGRIND69 said:

Just from glancing at last years' admitted thread, this years' index seems to be higher. Around the same time last year, they were admitting people with 154 to 157 LSAT scores.

As many of us had predicted, the switch to the highest LSAT and the fact that more people are applying seems to be making this cycle much more competitive.

Sorry to many of you who are on the fence with ~242 index scores, I don't think you got a good shot of getting in. I'm guessing its going to be a few points higher this year. Likely 244 or 245.

This being said, you also have to keep in mind that this cycle's been delayed quite a bit due to COVID. So we're probably still in the "January" of any other year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chazz said:

This being said, you also have to keep in mind that this cycle's been delayed quite a bit due to COVID. So we're probably still in the "January" of any other year.

Console me, Chazz. Say that everything's gonna be alright.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If i'm counting correctly there are now 42 acceptances (with some people not accepting). IIRC last years acceptance thread had 64 acceptance posts total so thats a bit concerning. Index is very high at this point!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bettercallsaul69 said:

@Ttallent What's the lowest accepted index from this wave that you've calculated? I believe it's a 246 this time 'round, just wanted to confirm you got the same number

I have been summoned! 


The lowest so far out of 41 admits (I excluded the % one to be consistent with my previous posts/data) is 245.53 (a January admit). From February the lowest is 245.75. The highest is 261.63.

Some more information using only December to end of February admissions from previous years to help put this year into perspective:

  • 2020 (49 admits): Minimum: 239.75; Max: 253.83
  • 2019 (54 admits): Minimum:¬†237.63; Max: 259.63
  • 2018 (50 admits): Minimum: 241.40; Max: 259.33

From this (keeping in mind there is another week of February to go) the index has increased quite a bit. 

BUT using the whole cycle from the past three years indicates there is a difference of roughly 20 points between the highest accept and the lowest. I am unsure when the holistic round starts. If I knew that we could have a better idea of the typical difference in index.

  • 2020¬†the overall max was 253.83 and lowest was 233.25 = 20.58¬†
  • 2019 overall max was 259.63 and lowest was 236.50 = 23.13¬†
  • 2019 overall max was 259.33 and lowest was 238.75 = 20.58¬†

If the 20 points hold that would mean that we would expect the number to drop to around 241.63 BUT this would include those in holistically so unless someone knows the dates of previous holistic rounds I would not bet on a 20 point gap in regular admits. My total guess from looking at the data back and forth and filtering from highest to lowest etc. I would make the assumption that at most it will drop 18 points which would bring us to about 243.63. 

4 hours ago, Borker said:

If i'm counting correctly there are now 42 acceptances (with some people not accepting). IIRC last years acceptance thread had 64 acceptance posts total so thats a bit concerning. Index is very high at this point!

This is true the index is quite a bit higher but if we filter by highest index first and drop down for the last three years, the 41st highest index acceptance had a 243.50, 243.63, 243.25 for 2020, 2019, 2018 respectively. Whereas this year so far the 41st is a 245.75. So, the gap is about 2 points so far.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That makes sense, thank you. Lets hope the Jan LSAT's are nearly done and the index starts moving back down from here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ttallent said:

I have been summoned! 


The lowest so far out of 41 admits (I excluded the % one to be consistent with my previous posts/data) is 245.53 (a January admit). From February the lowest is 245.75. The highest is 261.63.

Some more information using only December to end of February admissions from previous years to help put this year into perspective:

  • 2020 (49 admits): Minimum: 239.75; Max: 253.83
  • 2019 (54 admits): Minimum:¬†237.63; Max: 259.63
  • 2018 (50 admits): Minimum: 241.40; Max: 259.33

From this (keeping in mind there is another week of February to go) the index has increased quite a bit. 

BUT using the whole cycle from the past three years indicates there is a difference of roughly 20 points between the highest accept and the lowest. I am unsure when the holistic round starts. If I knew that we could have a better idea of the typical difference in index.

  • 2020¬†the overall max was 253.83 and lowest was 233.25 = 20.58¬†
  • 2019 overall max was 259.63 and lowest was 236.50 = 23.13¬†
  • 2019 overall max was 259.33 and lowest was 238.75 = 20.58¬†

If the 20 points hold that would mean that we would expect the number to drop to around 241.63 BUT this would include those in holistically so unless someone knows the dates of previous holistic rounds I would not bet on a 20 point gap in regular admits. My total guess from looking at the data back and forth and filtering from highest to lowest etc. I would make the assumption that at most it will drop 18 points which would bring us to about 243.63. 

This is true the index is quite a bit higher but if we filter by highest index first and drop down for the last three years, the 41st highest index acceptance had a 243.50, 243.63, 243.25 for 2020, 2019, 2018 respectively. Whereas this year so far the 41st is a 245.75. So, the gap is about 2 points so far.

Hopefully that makes sense. 

Thank you. Excellent analysis. It may be worth it to try to see what the highest rejected index was. This may help give us a better idea of what the minimum "safe" index was in previous years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

57 minutes ago, bettercallsaul69 said:

Thank you. Excellent analysis. It may be worth it to try to see what the highest rejected index was. This may help give us a better idea of what the minimum "safe" index was in previous years. 

Good idea! Unfortunately, yet unsurprisingly, very few people posted their rejected stats. From 2018 - 2020, I only counted 13. 

From this we have a range of 226.53 to 241.13. I highly doubt the 241 number though as it is an outlier. If you remove that one person, the max is 238.83 which makes more sense to me.

Since the waitlist is essentially a reject (I think one person got off it last year?) I decided to collect those statistics.

For 2020:

  • 8 statistics
  • 235.475 - 240.75

For 2019: 

  • 20 statistics¬†
  • 234 - 245.65.
  • This one is strange. I believe the 245.65 was a 2nd year student and therefore evaluated differently.
  • There is, however, two other strange indexes on the waitlist. One had an¬†index of 241.775. This applicant had a GPA of 3.99 and 152.¬† The other had a 242.25 index and a GPA of 3.7 and 159. In total, on the waitlist there were actually 6 above 240 for 2019.

I have no idea what to make of this information lol

Especially since the lowest index in 2020 was a 233.25 in April (although I think there was a miscalculation or an AMAZIN PS) because the next index above them was a 239.5. For 2019, as stated above the lowest index was a 236.50.

I was beginning to think maybe the cutoff in previous years then was a 242 and the rest had a great PS but if you look at the applicant profile (which only included regular admits I think) the lowest was a 238 or a 237.5 if you take the lower side of the LSAT range.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to put a small reminder how checking the forum every 5 minutes can really add to anxiety that I know we all feel especially with some changes to the admissions process. But your current stats are what they are for this cycle and so checking your index and comparing to others constantly can really make that anxiety worse... I don't think the holistic round has begun and probably won't until mid March or maybe later...so take that all in consideration as well it is typical to see the high indexes at beginning of the waves... so be kind to yourself and have confidence in your application rather than constant comparing...and if you don't get in to UAlberta maybe you have a back up school you are successful or apply next year :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pmtfuturelawyer said:

I just wanted to put a small reminder how checking the forum every 5 minutes can really add to anxiety that I know we all feel especially with some changes to the admissions process. But your current stats are what they are for this cycle and so checking your index and comparing to others constantly can really make that anxiety worse... I don't think the holistic round has begun and probably won't until mid March or maybe later...so take that all in consideration as well it is typical to see the high indexes at beginning of the waves... so be kind to yourself and have confidence in your application rather than constant comparing...and if you don't get in to UAlberta maybe you have a back up school you are successful or apply next year :)

Very good to keep in mind! I, myself, am under no illusions I will get in haha.

I strangely find it interesting and fun to collect the data but for everyone who is worrying and this is only adding to anxieties, this is great advice! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Console me, Chazz. Say that everything's gonna be alright.

Everything’s gonna be alright ;) 

One thing I noticed is that some people being admitted in the later wave have better stats than those admitted earlier. So I think how early you hear back just comes down to the luck of their sorting. This year, it looks like they’re sorting by LSAT instead of GPA or index score.

Regardless, it shouldn‚Äôt affect anyone‚Äôs chances of getting in. You‚Äôve got a 247 index score, which is well above both some of the people already admitted and all of the new ‚Äúauto-admit‚ÄĚ cutoffs people have been attempting to predict with this year‚Äôs data so far. For you, it‚Äôs¬†a question of when, not if.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • What even is a "good" lawyer? How can we deliberate over if "good" lawyers are born or made, if even within¬†legal academia, the model¬†of¬†what a "good " lawyer is, is still actively being explored and contested. The answer truly depends on who you ask.¬†
    • Yeah, North America¬†in 2021, what an awful place to be. Get some perspective for fuck‚Äôs sake. You remind me of the guys that work in construction and¬†think safety should be treated as an afterthought. Have you¬†ever considered ¬†why¬†you have the¬†ability¬†to express yourself so freely whereas elsewhere you wouldn‚Äôt?¬†
    • I don't know why I'm continuing to engage, but fuck it.¬† You were mocked (correctly) for making some very strange claims about genetics. I understand why you would take issue with that. No one likes to be mocked. But are non-lawyers being mocked here? I don't think so. I think it's just an objective assessment that lawyers do tend to have the qualities normally associated with intelligence.¬† I think that many lawyers are more intelligent than the average person. But that's not a value judgment. The particular kind of intelligence needed for law is valuable for practicing law effectively. But outside of being useful for practice, I accord it very little weight. I like and admire many people who aren't especially good communicators, and probably don't have the attention to detail for law.¬†I know many lawyers who are very smart and excellent at lawyering, but who I do not particularly like or admire. Intelligence is just one thing. There are other qualities that are far more important. I care far more about a person's compassion, sense of humour, and self-awareness than whether they can write a persuasive brief. So when I say that law isn't a good fit for most, I don't mean it as smug or an insult. I just mean that law isn't a good fit for everyone.¬†
    • yo man relax. who hurt u? You might think we're insulting you, but your manner of speaking is very condescending. The fact that you posted and deleted comments (twice!) suggests that you know this, so stop pretending like everyone is 'taking a dump' on you. On topic: there's smart and not-so-smart people in every profession. In the case of law, medicine¬†or PhD-level scientific¬†academia,¬†the floor is likely higher since you had to jump through¬†some hoops to get there that are somewhat reliable indices of some intellectual capacity. Maybe everyone could theoretically be trained as a lawyer or doctor, but you'd probably have some pretty bad ones by the end.
    • You got there pretty early, then. I needed to collect a few STEM degrees and see how many of my peers ended up getting jobs where all they did was mix buffers and run assays that come in a box that are closer to following a basic recipe than developing an mRNA based vaccine. Fortunately, the inherent superiority of their biochem degrees and the fact that they had to learn electrochem material that they probably haven't thought about since halfway through undergrad continue to provide solace.

×
×
  • Create New...