Sign in to follow this  
JasinNatael

Western's reputation as a business law school

Are there solid opportunities to get into other practice areas other than business law? I know Western offers a bunch of other courses, but will Western's reputation overshadow you if you decide to go into another area of practice after graduating?

No school's reputation for business law will automatically preclude graduates from practicing in other areas. It may make it more difficult, but it's not like every single Western grad is sent to the business law gulag upon graduation never to be seen again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Western grads are active in every area of practice. The course offerings and faculty branding might skew towards business law but you shouldn't take that to mean that other practice areas are closed off to you.

I am not a Western grad and don't practice "business law" (as it would normally be understood) so my terms of reference might be limited. Still, of the handful of Western grads I know well, two work in refugee law, one is involved with an NGO that concerns itself with drunk driving, one practices criminal law, and another is in employment law.

No law school in Canada will restrict you to any area of practice. Instead, they will prepare you for all areas of practice. You are the one who gets to decide where you would like to end up.