Sign in to follow this  
RAF

Access Student

Hello All, 

I applied for Queen, Ottawa and WO university as an access applicant.  I started preparing for LSAT weeks before the exam. 

My GPA is 3.8 , LSAT 139; ( with strong  personal statement,  13 years of business experience & MBA degree.Are there any chances to be consider in Ottawa this year  with this low LSAT  , Can I have conditional offer ? 

I hope if any one can share his/her thoughts. 

Thanks 

I'm assuming that your access claim specifically speaks to your low LSAT score?

General consensus is that anything below the 150s makes it extremely difficult to get into any Canadian law school, so with a score in the 130s...

It is extremely likely (not using hyperbole here) your LSAT score will be fatal to your application chances. UOttawa is certainly a cGPA school that considers holistic factors (and will assess mature students' applications like your own accordingly), but not to the extent that you will be able to overcome an ~11th~ percentile LSAT score. 

Get that score up into the mid-high 150s and you'll have a much better chance- and if you want to be safe, aim for 160+. 

Edited by LabouriousCorvid

I hope this doesn't come off as overly hardship, but your LSAT is not just low, it's extraordinarily low. 

A 139 is around the 11th percentile. For instance, a LSAT of 150, which is considered low, is the 44th percentile. A competitive LSAT of around 160 is the 80th percentile. I highly doubt in the recent history of acceptances to any of those schools, anyone with that LSAT got in.

The best recommendation right now is to retake the LSAT after more studying. The saving grace, a 139 is so low, there's only one direction from there and it's up. You also have a strong GPA so that's great, GPA takes a lot more time and money to improve compared to an LSAT. 

Edited by RUIQ
  • Like 1

Don’t want to beat a dead horse here but I don’t believe an access claim will cover a LSAT score of 139, because any claim that would, would likely also be reason for accommodations on the test. You’re lucky though because your GPA is great- you can definitely improve that score and get in next cycle! Like another poster said, an LSAT score is so much easier to improve than a GPA.

I think perhaps English is not your first language, which can be a understandable barrier when taking the LSAT, so I would definitely recommend hiring a tutor!

Good luck! 

6 hours ago, RAF said:

Hello All, 

I applied for Queen, Ottawa and WO university as an access applicant.  I started preparing for LSAT weeks before the exam. 

My GPA is 3.8 , LSAT 139; ( with strong  personal statement,  13 years of business experience & MBA degree.Are there any chances to be consider in Ottawa this year  with this low LSAT  , Can I have conditional offer ? 

I hope if any one can share his/her thoughts. 

Thanks 

hire a tutor and re apply next cycle