worriedstudent11

U of A is now taking highest LSAT !!

Good lord. This thread has already gone through three of the five stages of grief within a matter of hours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, bettercallsaul69 said:

Read the whole thread fam. We're mad because they changed up the rules AFTER we applied

1 minute ago, Borker said:

you're misunderstanding. Changing the rule in the middle of the cycle without telling anyone is garbage.

2 minutes ago, Borker said:

you're misunderstanding. Changing the rule in the middle of the cycle without telling anyone is garbage.

The old system punished people who had a bad day on one of their tests. There's a reason its being changed. Regardless of the lack of notice, the new system is exactly how it ALWAYS should have been now. If that negatively affected you 🤷‍♂️  If you guys are looking for fairness in law admissions, you're pretty naive. The system has always been broken and always will be. The amount of people this benefited and the amount of people it will hurt will balance out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CleanHands said:

I understand you guys are pissed off and I can see why, but launching some campaign around how they apply their admissions criteria is quite ridiculous.

I think it's completely fair if people choose to take action. I'd be angry too if policies were changed on the fly (if actually true). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

The old system punished people who had a bad day on one of their tests. There's a reason its being changed. Regardless of the lack of notice, the new system is exactly how it ALWAYS should have been now. If that negatively affected you 🤷‍♂️  If you guys are looking for fairness in law admissions, you're pretty naive. The system has always been broken and always will be. The amount of people this benefited and the amount of people it will hurt will balance out. 

The guy that an issue benefited is ok with the issue. I'm shocked 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

Literally no one here is against the change itself. But hey, if you're cool with your university admissions saying one thing on their website and then doing something different behind the scenes 🤷‍♂️

Edited by dalpaengi
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Borker said:

The guy that an issue benefited is ok with the issue. I'm shocked 

I was getting in either way champ. Attacking people on a Law forum is peak clownery 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ichigo said:

I think it's completely fair if people choose to take action. I'd be angry too if policies were changed on the fly (if actually true). 

He's still mad about a disagreement we had in another thread, hence no explanation for why its "ridiculous".

@Borker You stated that you got confirmation from someone at Ualberta that the scores would be averaged, was it via email by chance? If so, we can use that as evidence along with the FAQ on the website to voice our concerns.

Edited by LSATGRIND69

2 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

I was getting in either way champ. Attacking people on a Law forum is peak clownery 

Nobody said you weren't going to get in without it. The fact is your stats benefited from the change and you're literally the only one here making excuses for an awful mistake by the university. 

5 minutes ago, dalpaengi said:

Literally no one here is against the change itself. But hey, if you're cool with your university admissions saying one thing on their website and then doing something different behind the scenes 🤷‍♂️

I'd rather see future applicants avoid the trap of perceiving their first LSAT as life or death than have a forum of angsty pre-laws happy. Just poking the bear.You'll all still get in. 

Edit: I had a my first ever panic attack on my first LSAT because I was so focused on how it was my only shot to get into UofA. I was PTing in the 170s and ended up with a 160. Obviously they should have notified people but come on this is a net benefit moving forward. 

Edited by ThomasShelby
yolo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasShelby said:

I'd rather see future applicants avoid the trap of perceiving their first LSAT as life or death than have a forum of angsty pre-laws happy. Just poking the bear.You'll all still get in. 

There was legitimately no benefit to this. Those future applicants could have been us if they told us before they made the change, or they could have made the change next cycle and made an announcement about it before that one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

Not according to your post in another thread titled "3.51 L2 and 163 LSAT"

On 12/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, ThomasShelby said:

These are my exact stats as well because I have a 167 and 160. I think we'll both be high probability for holistic. 

Even with a 167 and L2 of 3.51, your only sitting at about 245 index score. I wouldn't think this is a lock considering there could be others who have benefitted like you. Also, lets not forget all of the others in AB and across Canada who have done amazing this past year on the LSAT that have applied to U of A.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LSATGRIND69 said:

He's still mad about another disagreement we had in another thread, hence no explaination for why its "ridiculous".

@Borker You stated that you got confirmation from someone at Ualberta that the scores would be averaged, was it via email by chance? If so, we can use that as evidence along with the FAQ on the website to voice our concerns.

Nope, I haven't gotten confirmation. I believe @bettercallsaul69 is the only one. I have reached out to admissions along with like 20 other people haha

4 hours ago, Borker said:

Disagree with you here. I have contacted admissions in the past and gotten clarification that it is the average LSAT that is used in the admissions process, not the highest. 

I thought you said you contacted someone from admission in the past ^ via page 2 lol...

2 minutes ago, Borker said:

Nope, I haven't gotten confirmation. I believe @bettercallsaul69 is the only one. I have reached out to admissions along with like 20 other people haha

@LFCJD as well. pg 3

2 minutes ago, LSATGRIND69 said:

I thought you said you contacted someone from admission in the past ^ via page 2 lol...

oh yeah sorry I misunderstood and thought you were talking about recent confirmations. Unfortunately that email is long gone, deleted nearly a year ago

I would hold off on rallying around the law building with pitchforks and demanding heads to roll. Let's wait a few days and see if we get some sort of correspondence.

And if anyone wants to write an email, remember to keep a professional tone even if you're livid.

Edited by TheMidnightOil
grammar
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, ThomasShelby said:

Edit: I had a my first ever panic attack on my first LSAT because I was so focused on how it was my only shot to get into UofA. I was PTing in the 170s and ended up with a 160. Obviously they should have notified people but come on this is a net benefit moving forward. 

But this change did the exact same thing lmaoo like people didn't take it till later to enhance their chances vs if they told us before the cycle that they'd take the best  that's different lol. Like I was pting low 170s and I got a mid 160 score lol 

23 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

I would hold off on rallying around the law building with pitchforks and demanding heads to roll. Let's wait a few days and see if we get some sort of correspondence.

And if anyone wants to write an email, remember to keep a professional tone even if you're livid.

agreed. best to keep things professional

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Borker said:

oh yeah sorry I misunderstood and thought you were talking about recent confirmations. Unfortunately that email is long gone, deleted nearly a year ago

Courtney Wagner replied to my email asking about it midday today confirming the highest score, and I was pretty clear in the question about it being for this application cycle. 

• Like 1