worriedstudent11

U of A is now taking highest LSAT !!

8 minutes ago, LFCJD said:

So dont kill the messenger, but Courtney Wagner the student recruiter replied to me and said:

"Yes, we will be using the highest LSAT for this admissions cycle."

Courtney

I am very concerned with my lsat and GPA now ūüėāūüėā fuck

6 minutes ago, LFCJD said:

So dont kill the messenger, but Courtney Wagner the student recruiter replied to me and said:

"Yes, we will be using the highest LSAT for this admissions cycle."

Courtney

Wow what a game changer... totally irresponsible of them to do this without advance notice. Makes me question the reasoning behind it.

I am not on the fence with my current stats, but than again I'm not exceptionally high either. Makes me nervous and I feel bad for anyone who may be negatively impacted by this decision.

• Like 2

First being the only school in Canada to do mandatory pass fail, now changing admission criteria without telling students...

These budget cuts are taking a toll!

• Like 2

Wouldnt this benefit the majority of people.  Averaging sucks, and like every other school in the country already uses the highest LSAT. 

Edited by AJD19

I thought I'd offer a different perspective on things. Some people on here are complaining that had they known UofA would take the highest LSAT score this cycle, they would have done things differently. Well here are a few things to take into consideration:

1. If you have multiple LSAT scores in your record, you should actually be happy with this change. Your LSAT score for admission calculation will now be higher.

2. If you only have one score in your record, your application itself by which I mean your stats are not affected by this. 

3. If you are saying that you could have taken the LSAT again had you known they would only look at the highest, here's the thing with this argument: while it may be harsh, you probably did not take it again because you were scared that you would get a lower score. If you were not confident that you would get a higher score, you should not be taking the LSAT again to begin with. The LSAT is not a joke, so this argument seems to me like an excuse that people are using to justify not taking the LSAT again. 

4. While I understand that some people are scared that this admission cycle will now be more competitive, the fact of the matter is that we don't know. We can speculate and come up with theories, but as long as we do not have access to the stats and to the exact admission process, they remain as nothing but speculations and theories. 

You have every right to be upset and to be frustrated by this change; however, it is not going to change anything, especially not for this admission cycle, seeing as how people have been admitted using the new admission process. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Borker said:

First being the only school in Canada to do mandatory pass fail, now changing admission criteria without telling students...

These budget cuts are taking a toll!

Mandatory pass/fail was amazing ūüĒ•

Assuming that the unofficial calculator is still relevant, how much would you guys think this changes the ‚Äėsafe‚Äô threshold? Has the 242 become a¬†246?

I'd say the bulk of U of A students planned to only write once. Maybe 30-40% wrote more than once, with an average increase of 3 points per student. I'm REALLY spitballing here though

1 minute ago, spork123 said:

I thought I'd offer a different perspective on things. Some people on here are complaining that had they known UofA would take the highest LSAT score this cycle, they would have done things differently. Well here are a few things to take into consideration:

1. If you have multiple LSAT scores in your record, you should actually be happy with this change. Your LSAT score for admission calculation will now be higher.

2. If you only have one score in your record, your application itself by which I mean your stats are not affected by this. 

3. If you are saying that you could have taken the LSAT again had you known they would only look at the highest, here's the thing with this argument: while it may be harsh, you probably did not take it again because you were scared that you would get a lower score. If you were not confident that you would get a higher score, you should not be taking the LSAT again to begin with. The LSAT is not a joke, so this argument seems to me like an excuse that people are using to justify not taking the LSAT again. 

4. While I understand that some people are scared that this admission cycle will now be more competitive, the fact of the matter is that we don't know. We can speculate and come up with theories, but as long as we do not have access to the stats and to the exact admission process, they remain as nothing but speculations and theories. 

You have every right to be upset and to be frustrated by this change; however, it is not going to change anything, especially not for this admission cycle, seeing as how people have been admitted using the new admission process. 

I didn't take the lsat again because previously I wouldn't have to worry even tho I got -4 than what my average was for pts that's why I'm pissed lol I could've retaken without any repercussions and it would've made a bigger difference than just a 1 or 2 point increase lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Assuming that the unofficial calculator is still relevant, how much would you guys think this changes the ‚Äėsafe‚Äô threshold? Has the 242 become a¬†246?

People currently have offers with 245.5/246, so it's certainly lower than that.

6 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

Mandatory pass/fail was amazing ūüĒ•

Sucks for competing against other students that didn't have it (outside of UofA and other schools that have blacklisted the entire semester)

6 minutes ago, spork123 said:

So do we not know anything or will it not change anything? Seems like you are making contradictory conclusions here. Edit: oh my bad, I think you are saying being upset won't change anything.

Edited by Borker

1 minute ago, dalpaengi said:

People currently have offers with 245.5/246, so it's certainly lower than that.

Not necessarily. Although it is unlikely they may have received enough applications with indexes above 245 and not yet processed them or possibly from January LSAT takers.

Just now, Borker said:

Sucks for competing against other students that didn't have it 

So do we not know anything or will it not change anything? Seems like you are making contradictory conclusions here

We do know that they are using the highest LSAT score, as confirmed by Courtney's response to another individual. What we don't know, however, is how this change will affect this admission cycle. My point is being upset or being frustrated or even wanting to complain directly to the university will not change the fact that the university will be using the highest LSAT score for this admission cycle. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Borker said:

Sucks for competing against other students that didn't have it 

So do we not know anything or will it not change anything? Seems like you are making contradictory conclusions here

Competition as a 1L ¬†just seems synonymous with more anxiety to me ūü§∑ūüŹĽ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ.¬†

2 minutes ago, AJD19 said:

Competition as a 1L ¬†just seems synonymous with more anxiety to me ūü§∑ūüŹĽ‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ.¬†

Not exactly sure what you mean here. I was saying that it sucks for admission competition 

6 minutes ago, spork123 said:

You haven't hit all the possibilities.

The people who were on the fence with one LSAT score are now competing with people who have multiple takes. The latter could now in theory be pushed ahead because of this new rule. 

In regards to point 3. If I would have known that they are taking highest LSAT. I would have taken in September, November, and January to maximize my chances, as there's minimal risk to multiple takes under this new policy.

• Like 4

Am I missing something? It still says this on the JD Admissions webpage:

An applicant's admission average will be calculated based on the most recently completed 60 credits and weighted against the averaged LSAT score.

• Like 1