worriedstudent11

U of A is now taking highest LSAT !!

6 minutes ago, abc321 said:

I haven’t read every single comment here so maybe this has already been addressed.. but has anyone actually heard back from U of A to check if this is actually happening and not just a rumour? 

5 minutes ago, cguy said:

I'm sure that this will only be applied starting in the 2021-2022 cycle. 

@bettercallsaul69 confirmed that it is the case this cycle.

So unless there's multiple trolls on here or someone in the adcom really fucked up, it appears we have drama.

Edited by dalpaengi
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, cguy said:

I'm sure that this will only be applied starting in the 2021-2022 cycle. 

Makes the most logical sense and would be the fairest way of implementing a new rule. Fingers crossed this is true!

16 minutes ago, KJR said:

This is a good reason to be outraged. However, there is also the possibility, depending on when you emailed them, that they have since changed their admission policy. While that would be a dick move, it is within their power to determine how they admit students. Does it suck? Yes. Is it negligent? No. 

I would 100% be pissed too but applicants don't get to dictate what is fair policy.

Yeah totally within their rights to change the policy. The issue is that it is in the middle of a cycle with 0 communication to students. That is not ok.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stonemaskguy said:

I doubt that anyone has heard back yet. Idk about you guys but the law admissions email usually takes a day or two to get back to me whenever I email lol 

I'm wondering the same thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, lawlawlaw99662 said:

I'm wondering the same thing. 

There has been one confirmation. I have also reached out and will let yall know what they say. 

• Thanks 3

Not to impugn someone just because they're new, but OP had no other posting history, and has now removed/edited their post. I know @bettercallsaul69 allegedly got a response, but I honestly don't believe UofA would change their process mid-cycle without telling everyone. My assumption is that they could be using it in the next cycle, not this one. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Liavas said:

Not to impugn someone just because they're new, but OP had no other posting history, and has now removed/edited their post. I know @bettercallsaul69 allegedly got a response, but I honestly don't believe UofA would change their process mid-cycle without telling everyone. My assumption is that they could be using it in the next cycle, not this one. 

That was my thought at first as well. To add to that, original OP was applying next year, which could have been the initial confusion.

On the bright-side, if they reply to emails today we should have about 20 confirmations if it has changed or not. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just an observation: If you look at the current accepted thread there's a few people with stats that would be out of line with the other admits unless only their highest LSAT were counted. 

• Like 2

Don't take my word for it, by all means, send them an email. But yeah it looks like the LSAT's have gone up a bit this year. But I can't see them going up by more than 3-points on average. There aren't a ton of people out there that post a 10-point increase, although they do exist. 

I was curious about that too so I quickly flung the 2021 stats into a document to compare to a previous post I created for the two previous years. I uploaded it to imgur here: https://imgur.com/O6hMOTH because this site refuses to let me embed the information. You can see that @dalpaengi is correct. Taking the highest LSAT makes the current indexes appear less out of line.

Edited by Ttallent
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Ttallent said:

I was curious about that too so I quickly flung the 2021 stats into a document to compare to a previous post I created for the two previous years. I uploaded it to imgur here: https://imgur.com/O6hMOTH because this site refuses to let me embed information works. You can quite see that @dalpaengi is correct. Taking the highest LSAT makes the indexes appear less out of line.

Seems a bit too perfect to be a coincidence everyone...

• Like 2

I appreciate the effort by @Ttallent. However, we should still take these "statistical anomalies" with a grain of salt. To my knowledge, the index was reverse engineered by applicants. It's never been an official thing released by the school. Moreover, we have no idea what other factors were involved in these applications (although I'm aware that UofA seems to be more numbers-based). Also, even if we assume the index is real and 242 is the auto-admit number, none of these people are below that. 

Edited by Liavas
  • Like 2

That is very true, @Liavas ! 

Another thing to keep in mind is it is not unusual for students to have stats around 240/242 in the first round and even in December. So even without the apparent change to the LSAT the numbers are not out of alignment from previous years. 

• Like 1

Yeah and the thing with the admissions that I've heard was that they were changing how they did the scholarships and how they calculate GPA from out of province schools. 

• Like 1

So dont kill the messenger, but Courtney Wagner the student recruiter replied to me and said:

"Yes, we will be using the highest LSAT for this admissions cycle."

Courtney

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, LFCJD said:

So dont kill the messenger, but Courtney Wagner the student recruiter replied to me and said:

"Yes, we will be using the highest LSAT for this admissions cycle."

Courtney

Welp. Y'all can eat me now for getting your hopes up. Please be gentle.

Edit: by some luck of the universe, my current profile pic is #mood.

Edited by Liavas
  • Haha 4