worriedstudent11

U of A is now taking highest LSAT !!

6 minutes ago, worriedstudent11 said:

I was talking to the recruiter who said this admission cycle (and probably next) they will take highest LSAT. I know this is good news for some, I am just worried this will significantly raise the admission averages, I got a 161 on my LSAT and have a 3.7 GPA, do you think this will make me inadmissible for next year's admission process? 

Are you serious?!?! This is incredible news for someone like me who jumped 9 points between LSATs!!!! 

And to address your question, I think your stats are still competitive! :) 

Really? I wonder why they would change it without updating their website or at least before the cycle began. 

I would assume you are still competitive but honestly who knows now. Not everyone in previous admission threads mentioned whether or not they averaged their scores so it is really difficult to gauge. 

This might explain why some people with supposed lower index scores got in ahead others with higher/similar ones. 

If OP is correct, we can basically throw out the 242 number now. It's a whole new ball game. 

• Like 3

This is still on the admissions page:

An applicant's admission average will be calculated based on the most recently completed 60 credits and weighted against the averaged LSAT score. Please refer to the Admitted Applicant Profile Card to view the score combinations of last year’s admitted students.

Actually kind of concerning to me if this true. Changing admissions criteria on the fly without updating students is not cool. This could have had a huge impact on someones LSAT plans had they known about the change.  

Edited by Borker
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Pardon my French but this is fucking bullshit. Myself, as well as a lot of others, would have re-taken the test had we known they'd use the highest instead of the average. I don't think the index would shift too much because a lot of people are probably on the same boat as OP and myself, but that's garbage if they did that

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

It makes more sense to take the highest as this tends to be the norm.

Honestly, the average tends to prejudice students who may be strong candidates who were not fully prepared for their first LSAT.

• Like 2

I have to agree. I limited the number of my takes precisely because of U of A's averaging policy.

They'll probably get flooded with emails about this now. We're relying on OP as the only source right now so inclined to see the next wave of admitted stats before joining in on the outrage, but if it turns out to be true... damn. 

• Like 2

If it was that is very very uncool. U of A is my top school and because of their averaging policy I'm not going to get in despite having one LSAT that is high enough. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KJR said:

It makes more sense to take the highest as this tends to be the norm.

Honestly, the average tends to prejudice students who may be strong candidates who were not fully prepared for their first LSAT.

The issue here isn't about the fairness of the policy, it's about whether they deceived the applicants by changing their policy without notification. 

• Like 2

Just dug this up from the JD admissions FAQ:

"If more than one LSAT is written, an average may be used."

The key word here being 'may'. I swear if this is what they use to justify this...

• Like 2

Got a response. Yeah, looks like they're taking the highest. For all you guys who worked hard and planned strategically for years to get in, I'm sorry. Best wishes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, bettercallsaul69 said:

Got a response. Yeah, looks like they're taking the highest. For all you guys who worked hard and planned strategically for years to get in, I'm sorry. Best wishes. 

holy shit. Any justification?

WOW. Thanks @bettercallsaul69 for confirming. Crazy they would just change it without notification before the cycle.

Very curious now how much of an impact this will have on the overall competitiveness. 

• Thanks 1