Hi all,

With OCIs coming up, I'm feeling a considerable amount of stress. For those who have gone through OCIs, how did you deal with the stress?

Will really appreciate any tips/advice!

Unfortunately, the only way out is through. If you want advice I have a whole spiel here 

Honestly, when it sucks, it just sucks a lot. But you will get through this, everyone I know including myself who struck out at the recruit made it out just fine with articling jobs that we are looking forward to starting. Try to keep your eye on the long-term prize of building a personally meaningful career with your degree and your license. Good luck!

• Like 1

Stop thinking about it because, for better or for worse, you can’t really prepare for an OCI (that much) seeing as how most of them are free flowing conversations.

11 hours ago, FingersCr0ssed said:

Stop thinking about it because, for better or for worse, you can’t really prepare for an OCI (that much) seeing as how most of them are free flowing conversations.

I agree with this. Looking back, I would say it was not possible to prepare for most questions. While it’s good to have a succinct answer for some questions, like “Why law?” “Why x firm?” “What were your favourite courses?” it’s not possible to anticipate exactly what they will say in advance about your section on interests. 

Not getting hired through OCIs was devastating to me at the time because I was stressing about shoring up an articling job. But it wound up being the best thing that happened to my legal career. Don't worry about the result. 

If you can look past the competition, anxiety, and stress, OCIs and in-firms can be fun. For me it was a non-stop opportunity to talk about myself, I got to hang out all day with my friends and colleagues--everyone looking their best--and there was endless free food. This year might be understandably tougher: fewer snacks and less opportunity to blow off steam with your friends. I recall carrying some of the energy from the OCI break room into my sessions and that had a positive effect. It may help to create a similar effect by ensuring plenty of your favourite snacks onhand and creating opportunities to decompress and debrief with people you like. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FineCanadianFXs said:

Not getting hired through OCIs was devastating to me at the time because I was stressing about shoring up an articling job. But it wound up being the best thing that happened to my legal career. Don't worry about the result.

I was not devastated but it was also very good for me that I did not get hired during OCIs. In hindsight I do wish I had taken the whole thing less seriously and really just thought of it as an opportunity to meet some cool successful people and learn a bit about a weird high-flying industry. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, FingersCr0ssed said:

After completing my OCIs, I wish I knew this. I spent way too much time preparing and now I'm behind on classes. That's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose.