UBCQuery

Calming Information About Applications

Like many others, I think my anxiety has reached an all time high over admissions, though I was lucky enough to hear from my first school last week which has helped a little. 
I found this stat on the LSAC website about Osgoode in 2017: 

• 2,873 applicants
  • 646 first-year offers
  • 301 enrolled first-year class

https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school/find-law-school/canadian-law-schools/osgoode-hall-law-school

As far as I can tell, this means that a fairly competitive school in the country gets half of its offers declined. This probably means there are A LOT more offers still to come as people begin to accept one of their offers, thereby declining others, and schools continue to review applications. I personally found this reassuring and calming and hope it helps others who are a little stir crazy from COVID boredom and have little to do but refresh their OLSAS and other application sites. Best of luck to all! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for this. The stats on the acceptance pages are WILD and definitely worrying that I won’t get in anywhere. Congrats on your first acceptance! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Toby1994 said:

Thank you for this. The stats on the acceptance pages are WILD and definitely worrying that I won’t get in anywhere. Congrats on your first acceptance! 

Honestly they're crazy, people are posting stuff like "Chance me: 178 GPA 3.84" and then are asking in the comments if they should retake their LSAT for a higher mark. Giving me heart palpitations just thinking about it. 

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, UBCQuery said:

Like many others, I think my anxiety has reached an all time high over admissions, though I was lucky enough to hear from my first school last week which has helped a little. 

• 2,873 applicants
  • 646 first-year offers

https://www.lsac.org/choosing-law-school/find-law-school/canadian-law-schools/osgoode-hall-law-school

As far as I can tell, this means that a fairly competitive school in the country gets half of its offers declined. This probably means there are A LOT more offers still to come as people begin to accept one of their offers, thereby declining others, and schools continue to review applications. I personally found this reassuring and calming and hope it helps others who are a little stir crazy from COVID boredom and have little to do but refresh their OLSAS and other application sites. Best of luck to all! 

Thank you for this! 

I know I have a reasonable shot at most of the schools I applied to, but a significant increase in the number of applicants with high LSAT scores as well as seeing many others with stellar stats get accepted got me so, so worried. 

Hopefully, we'll get past all this in no time so we can start planning for September! Sending good vibes to all those still waiting in the dark... 🙏

• Like 5

1 hour ago, UBCQuery said:

• 2,873 applicants
  • 646 first-year offers

You are a godsend 😂 I'm so anxious that I haven't heard back yet and I've been in the Osgoode queue since December (3.93/162). Seeing people with lower stats get in before me is sooo nervewracking because it makes me think that they've already tossed my application, even though the logical side of my brain knows that the process is more complicated than just comparing stats. Fingers crossed for everyone!

• Like 1

The beauty of this site is that you get enough of a sample size to know what each school wants, but the sample size isn't big enough to the point where most applicants can write themselves off. 

Each accepted thread seems to (very) roughly account for 30% of offers sent out , so I always figured that if you at least see one person get accepted with stats similar to yours, it's definitely plausible that you can be competitive, regardless of what those stats are. Then again there's so much that goes into each application that it's a bit of a crapshoot if you go strictly off GPA and LSAT scores. Hope everyone ends up somewhere though, the waiting game is brutal 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Toby1994 said:

Literally an hour after writing this I received my first acceptance. Hold out hope folks!!

Congrats! Where to?

1 minute ago, Terracycle said:

Congrats! Where to?

Windsor!! Single JD.

• Like 4

Just now, Toby1994 said:

Windsor!! Single JD.

That's awesome, congratulations!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Toby1994 said:

Literally an hour after writing this I received my first acceptance. Hold out hope folks!!

Congrats!! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RUIQ said:

That's awesome, congratulations!!

8 minutes ago, UBCQuery said:

Congrats!! 

Thanks friends!! 

• Like 1

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but let me share another aspect of application that has really calmed me down as an applicant this cycle.

For example, taking the application numbers of both Osgoode (~3,300) and Western (~2,700) this year does seem like an astronomical amount! However, keep in mind that there is a very high possibility of large overlap between these applicant numbers. It's most likely not the case that each school's applicant pool is separate from other schools, as I can almost guarantee that everyone (whether on or off this forum) applied to multiple schools.

I think the fear of an impending competitive cycle caused people to apply to more schools than they otherwise would have, because I sure did! No matter how many schools one applied to, they can only accept one offer. Couple that with the point raised earlier that many schools sent out way more offers than seats, and I think things begin to fall into perspective. I'm gonna wager that schools send out more offers than there are available seats because they know that applicants will be applying to multiple schools. So in that sense the numbers seem inflated for sure.

As someone who has also yet to receive any acceptances, I just gotta tough it out and wait! We got this :) 

• Like 12