Jump to content
ontariolaw

Administrative Call To The Bar?

Recommended Posts

For those currently Articling, does anybody know the timing of the Call to the Bar?   On the LSO site there is mention of a June administrative call, but there are also call dates listed in February, March, and April.  I first thought we had to wait until to June to be called but now I am hearing it can be done earlier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are on the standard August - May articling timeline then you will be called to the bar in June, provided that all of the requirements are met. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TripleX said:

If you are on the standard August - May articling timeline then you will be called to the bar in June, provided that all of the requirements are met. 

Thanks.  I was assuming that was the case.  But technically you could meet all the requirements by March-April this year when starting in August (as it's an 8 month minimum).  Could someone who started in August not be called on the April 29th Administrative Call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Thanks.  I was assuming that was the case.  But technically you could meet all the requirements by March-April this year when starting in August (as it's an 8 month minimum).  Could someone who started in August not be called on the April 29th Administrative Call?

I just looked and there is a ton of info on the LSO website. They are doing everything differently this year because of COVID. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So re:  call to the Bar here’s what I know. I’ve spent lots of time on the phone with licensing to sort this out. 
 

At the start of articling you had to file paperwork with the LSO indicating whether you were doing an 8 or 10 month term. Based on that the LSO has calculated your articling end date, at which time you will be eligible to be called. So if you started an 8 month term in August you’d likely be eligible for call on the April date (more on that below). If you started a 10 month term in august, you have to wait for June (or maybe May- see next paragraph). 
 

Due to COVID the frequency of call has changed. There is now a call every month. So far they have been scheduled through to April. No word on when June dates will be set, or if there will be a May date. You will receive a message to your online account with paperwork to complete a couple weeks before the end of your articling term. 
 

The first form will indicate what date you are currently scheduled to be called, and give you the option to select a later date (a deferral). For example if you were set to be eligible to be called on the January date, the form would give you the option to choose the Feb, March or April date. 
 

You effectively chose a call date by either filing the deferral form or doing nothing, in which case they assume you’re fine with the date they give you. You then must submit the Certificate of Articles, Experience Plan, Petition for Call, and comissioned Oath of Call. All those steps will be explained in the documents send by LSO to your online account a couple weeks before your articling term is set to complete. If you have completed all those steps by the day of call, you’ll get a message to your account once you are a fully licensed lawyer, and can begin practicing as such

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

So re:  call to the Bar here’s what I know. I’ve spent lots of time on the phone with licensing to sort this out. 
 

At the start of articling you had to file paperwork with the LSO indicating whether you were doing an 8 or 10 month term. Based on that the LSO has calculated your articling end date, at which time you will be eligible to be called. So if you started an 8 month term in August you’d likely be eligible for call on the April date (more on that below). If you started a 10 month term in august, you have to wait for June (or maybe May- see next paragraph). 
 

Due to COVID the frequency of call has changed. There is now a call every month. So far they have been scheduled through to April. No word on when June dates will be set, or if there will be a May date. You will receive a message to your online account with paperwork to complete a couple weeks before the end of your articling term. 
 

The first form will indicate what date you are currently scheduled to be called, and give you the option to select a later date (a deferral). For example if you were set to be eligible to be called on the January date, the form would give you the option to choose the Feb, March or April date. 
 

You effectively chose a call date by either filing the deferral form or doing nothing, in which case they assume you’re fine with the date they give you. You then must submit the Certificate of Articles, Experience Plan, Petition for Call, and comissioned Oath of Call. All those steps will be explained in the documents send by LSO to your online account a couple weeks before your articling term is set to complete. If you have completed all those steps by the day of call, you’ll get a message to your account once you are a fully licensed lawyer, and can begin practicing as such

Thank you for the response.  From your understanding, if we are getting notified a few weeks before our Call date on what to do, does that mean the April 1st Early Filing deadline does not apply anymore?  Usually to be called in June that was the cut off date to submit our stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Thank you for the response.  From your understanding, if we are getting notified a few weeks before our Call date on what to do, does that mean the April 1st Early Filing deadline does not apply anymore?  Usually to be called in June that was the cut off date to submit our stuff.

Maybe April 1st is still the filing date for June call; for call dates earlier than June (so February though April) the few weeks rule applies. I’m being called in that time frame so I didn’t ask about June rules

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

 If you have completed all those steps by the day of call, you’ll get a message to your account once you are a fully licensed lawyer, and can begin practicing as such

Any idea how long it takes to get the message? I was supposed to be called feb 25 (yesterday) and they said that I will hear about it on the business day after but no message yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cramcramps said:

Any idea how long it takes to get the message? I was supposed to be called feb 25 (yesterday) and they said that I will hear about it on the business day after but no message yet. 

No idea - I’m on for next month, I deferred from this month. Let us know when you get it, that would be very helpful to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on LSO site, the Early Filing Deadline for a June 2021 call is now May 3rd, 2021.  So it has been moved from the usual April 1st deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2021 at 10:48 PM, LawyerOfTomorrow said:

Anyone know whether your certificate is mailed to you after an administrative call? I'm just assuming it is.

Yes, they are mailed to your address.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how strict the Articling timelines are?  ie. If you undertook to article for 10 months, and 10 months from your start date lands on a weekend, do you need to article 1-additional business day?  I'm guessing there is leeway but just wanted to confirm how strict the "10 months" is.  

(I know 8 months is the minimum this year but you need to complete what you undertook to do)

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Does anyone know how strict the Articling timelines are?  ie. If you undertook to article for 10 months, and 10 months from your start date lands on a weekend, do you need to article 1-additional business day?  I'm guessing there is leeway but just wanted to confirm how strict the "10 months" is.  

(I know 8 months is the minimum this year but you need to complete what you undertook to do)

Thanks.

Last time I looked at this (which was not recently so look for yourself) the LSO articling guidelines stipulated that if you took more than the allowed number of vacation or sick days they expected you to extend your articling term by that length to the day. When you complete your paperwork to be called they also ask for how many vacation/sick days you took along with your exact start and end date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Does anyone know how strict the Articling timelines are?  ie. If you undertook to article for 10 months, and 10 months from your start date lands on a weekend, do you need to article 1-additional business day?  I'm guessing there is leeway but just wanted to confirm how strict the "10 months" is.  

(I know 8 months is the minimum this year but you need to complete what you undertook to do)

Thanks.

Contrary to that, if your articling placement is supposed to end on a weekend, your last day will be on the Friday prior. It's actually mentioned in the FAQs. https://lso.ca/Becoming-Licensed/Lawyer-Licensing-Process/FAQs#articling-5

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Your grades are quite good so I would apply broadly and cross my fingers. The only Canadian law school I've seen that accepts a lot of US transfers from bottom tier schools is U of T. But your grades have to be really good. I'm not sure how they will view your B's. Good luck. 
    • yeah it was a mistake. I posted this in law students when I meant to post in articling students and lawyers and I couldn't delete it after it had been posted. I think I mentioned it in this thread or the one that you linked. 
    • There's been a lot of focus here on IQ but one of the things that makes a good lawyer is a heavy measure of EQ and our friend here McGillicutty has demonstrated why many of my former STEM colleagues lack even a smidgen of EQ.
    • The only thing that matters is that you can get funding at a good interest rate. Scotia has the best offerings, but that doesn't mean that you're out of options if they decline you. In my experience, the bank that you have the longest history with is the one that usually helps you out in situations where your credit isn't up to snuff. 
    • I think you are slightly confused maybemaybe, so I can clear this up for you:  2 year applicants are those that are in their second year of their undergrad degree (will have 60-89 completed credits) by the time they enter law school and they are the ones who require exceptional stats (3.7 and 90th percentile); see excerpt from https://apps.admissions.ualberta.ca/programs/la/la020 ("There is no direct entry from high school into the Juris Doctor program (JD). Exceptional students may be admitted to the program after completing two years of university study with a minimum GPA of 3.7 and 90th percentile Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score. All other students must have completed at least the first three years of a degree before being admitted to the JD."). This applies when you apply in your second year of undergrad.  3rd year applicants are those that are in their 3rd year of university and who will have 90 or more credits by the time they enter law school and they are treated the same as those with degrees. Excerpt from same website " All other students must have completed at least the first three years of a degree before being admitted to the JD." This applies when you apply in your third year of undergrad.  Hope this clears everything up! 

×
×
  • Create New...