ontariolaw

Administrative Call To The Bar?

For those currently Articling, does anybody know the timing of the Call to the Bar?   On the LSO site there is mention of a June administrative call, but there are also call dates listed in February, March, and April.  I first thought we had to wait until to June to be called but now I am hearing it can be done earlier?

If you are on the standard August - May articling timeline then you will be called to the bar in June, provided that all of the requirements are met. 

45 minutes ago, TripleX said:

If you are on the standard August - May articling timeline then you will be called to the bar in June, provided that all of the requirements are met. 

Thanks.  I was assuming that was the case.  But technically you could meet all the requirements by March-April this year when starting in August (as it's an 8 month minimum).  Could someone who started in August not be called on the April 29th Administrative Call?

21 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Thanks.  I was assuming that was the case.  But technically you could meet all the requirements by March-April this year when starting in August (as it's an 8 month minimum).  Could someone who started in August not be called on the April 29th Administrative Call?

I just looked and there is a ton of info on the LSO website. They are doing everything differently this year because of COVID. 

So re:  call to the Bar here’s what I know. I’ve spent lots of time on the phone with licensing to sort this out. 

At the start of articling you had to file paperwork with the LSO indicating whether you were doing an 8 or 10 month term. Based on that the LSO has calculated your articling end date, at which time you will be eligible to be called. So if you started an 8 month term in August you’d likely be eligible for call on the April date (more on that below). If you started a 10 month term in august, you have to wait for June (or maybe May- see next paragraph). 

Due to COVID the frequency of call has changed. There is now a call every month. So far they have been scheduled through to April. No word on when June dates will be set, or if there will be a May date. You will receive a message to your online account with paperwork to complete a couple weeks before the end of your articling term. 

The first form will indicate what date you are currently scheduled to be called, and give you the option to select a later date (a deferral). For example if you were set to be eligible to be called on the January date, the form would give you the option to choose the Feb, March or April date. 

You effectively chose a call date by either filing the deferral form or doing nothing, in which case they assume you’re fine with the date they give you. You then must submit the Certificate of Articles, Experience Plan, Petition for Call, and comissioned Oath of Call. All those steps will be explained in the documents send by LSO to your online account a couple weeks before your articling term is set to complete. If you have completed all those steps by the day of call, you’ll get a message to your account once you are a fully licensed lawyer, and can begin practicing as such

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

So re:  call to the Bar here’s what I know. I’ve spent lots of time on the phone with licensing to sort this out. 

At the start of articling you had to file paperwork with the LSO indicating whether you were doing an 8 or 10 month term. Based on that the LSO has calculated your articling end date, at which time you will be eligible to be called. So if you started an 8 month term in August you’d likely be eligible for call on the April date (more on that below). If you started a 10 month term in august, you have to wait for June (or maybe May- see next paragraph). 

Due to COVID the frequency of call has changed. There is now a call every month. So far they have been scheduled through to April. No word on when June dates will be set, or if there will be a May date. You will receive a message to your online account with paperwork to complete a couple weeks before the end of your articling term. 

The first form will indicate what date you are currently scheduled to be called, and give you the option to select a later date (a deferral). For example if you were set to be eligible to be called on the January date, the form would give you the option to choose the Feb, March or April date. 

You effectively chose a call date by either filing the deferral form or doing nothing, in which case they assume you’re fine with the date they give you. You then must submit the Certificate of Articles, Experience Plan, Petition for Call, and comissioned Oath of Call. All those steps will be explained in the documents send by LSO to your online account a couple weeks before your articling term is set to complete. If you have completed all those steps by the day of call, you’ll get a message to your account once you are a fully licensed lawyer, and can begin practicing as such

Thank you for the response.  From your understanding, if we are getting notified a few weeks before our Call date on what to do, does that mean the April 1st Early Filing deadline does not apply anymore?  Usually to be called in June that was the cut off date to submit our stuff.

11 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Thank you for the response.  From your understanding, if we are getting notified a few weeks before our Call date on what to do, does that mean the April 1st Early Filing deadline does not apply anymore?  Usually to be called in June that was the cut off date to submit our stuff.

Maybe April 1st is still the filing date for June call; for call dates earlier than June (so February though April) the few weeks rule applies. I’m being called in that time frame so I didn’t ask about June rules

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 3:15 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

If you have completed all those steps by the day of call, you’ll get a message to your account once you are a fully licensed lawyer, and can begin practicing as such

Any idea how long it takes to get the message? I was supposed to be called feb 25 (yesterday) and they said that I will hear about it on the business day after but no message yet. 

20 minutes ago, Cramcramps said:

Any idea how long it takes to get the message? I was supposed to be called feb 25 (yesterday) and they said that I will hear about it on the business day after but no message yet. 

No idea - I’m on for next month, I deferred from this month. Let us know when you get it, that would be very helpful to know!

Based on LSO site, the Early Filing Deadline for a June 2021 call is now May 3rd, 2021.  So it has been moved from the usual April 1st deadline.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:48 PM, LawyerOfTomorrow said:

Anyone know whether your certificate is mailed to you after an administrative call? I'm just assuming it is.

Yes, they are mailed to your address.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how strict the Articling timelines are?  ie. If you undertook to article for 10 months, and 10 months from your start date lands on a weekend, do you need to article 1-additional business day?  I'm guessing there is leeway but just wanted to confirm how strict the "10 months" is.  

(I know 8 months is the minimum this year but you need to complete what you undertook to do)

Thanks.

3 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Does anyone know how strict the Articling timelines are?  ie. If you undertook to article for 10 months, and 10 months from your start date lands on a weekend, do you need to article 1-additional business day?  I'm guessing there is leeway but just wanted to confirm how strict the "10 months" is.  

(I know 8 months is the minimum this year but you need to complete what you undertook to do)

Thanks.

Last time I looked at this (which was not recently so look for yourself) the LSO articling guidelines stipulated that if you took more than the allowed number of vacation or sick days they expected you to extend your articling term by that length to the day. When you complete your paperwork to be called they also ask for how many vacation/sick days you took along with your exact start and end date.

5 hours ago, ontariolaw said:

Thanks.

Contrary to that, if your articling placement is supposed to end on a weekend, your last day will be on the Friday prior. It's actually mentioned in the FAQs. https://lso.ca/Becoming-Licensed/Lawyer-Licensing-Process/FAQs#articling-5

• Like 2