MootKween

Post Ottawa 2021 OCIs - Who have you heard from?

12 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

Has anyone from UOttawa heard back from Perley?

Wondering the same.. I got a really nice response to my thank you note from Monday evening, yesterday. Which I found interesting. But that’s it. 

Edited by Progress12345

Any updates from Ravens, Perley-Robertson, Rasmussen Starr Ruddy, Nelligan or Soloway? In general or specifically from uOttawa? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LegalQueen96 said:

Any updates from Ravens, Perley-Robertson, Rasmussen Starr Ruddy, Nelligan or Soloway? In general or specifically from uOttawa? 

uOttawa student - heard back from Soloway last Tuesday 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ElleWoods111 said:

Anyone from uOttawa heard back from Perley? 

Perley sent out rejection emails today

3 hours ago, lolrip said:

Perley sent out rejection emails today

Interesting, I haven't received a rejection but also didn't hear anything about an in-firm. 

4 hours ago, plshire said:

Has anyone heard about Gowling 2nd round interviews yet? Or any other firm? :)

Third rounds for Gowling are wrapping this week I believe. 

Update: Gowling has sent out next round offers and BLG should be letting us know soon. Good luck everyone :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Even if you don't know what area of law you want to pursue, the fact that Osgoode has the most clinical programs out of any law school in the country, is located in Toronto, has a more diverse student body - proven if you look at class profiles comparing these schools and what I have heard from many peers who attended Western and Queen's, a decent reputation, and lots of alumni working in Toronto were all big selling points for me.  The main reasons I've seen for people who got into all three to turn down Osgoode for Queen's or Western, is if they wanted a smaller class size, the location, or school vibe (party culture), etc. Some people like Western's business-heavy focus. Queen's is also leaning more business-heavy these days. If corporate law is your goal, then you can't go wrong with any of these options. Things get murkier with other practice areas, especially more niche fields like IP or immigration. Tuition costs are fairly similar for all three. Queen's has a higher curve, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference in employment prospects as employers would just compare the transcripts of students at your school.  Osgoode being bigger and older is not necessarily a bad thing because there is a strong alumni network and depending on where you want to work, this can be hugely beneficial in my opinion. Anecdotally, every single place I interviewed at while in law school had a few Osgoode alumni working there and this allowed me to connect with interviewers pretty quickly. That said, Western and Queen's also have many alumni working in Toronto so this isn't a major factor.  Osgoode is the oldest law school in Ontario and was on its own before it joined York University, so most people would not associate York's overall reputation with Osgoode or even Schulich School of Business. At least in the legal field, it has a decent reputation.  I've thought about this question quite a bit over the years and besides the personal reasons I've outlined above, from an academics or careers standpoint, I am not sure there are many reasons to go to Western or Queen's over Osgoode. I'm a big proponent of getting practical legal experience while in law school and Osgoode just has a shit ton of that going for it. That alone is reason enough to pick it. If you're not a top student grades-wise in law school, then even small differences in course selection, clinicals, and reputation can make all the difference in where you end up landing a job. 
    • My brain says "do not post nitpicky politics," but my heart says do it. So here I am. I'm not discounting your personal experience here. But there is no such thing as a postmodern Marxist. Postmodernism is fundamentally incompatible with Marxism. The former rejects grand universal truths, while the latter is based on there being an inherent (economic) truth. 
    • I shall now apply all of the wisdom I have gained from reading this forum twelve hours a day every day since October to settle this issue once and for all. THE ONE TRUE GUIDE TO CHOOSING A LAW SCHOOL: Criterion #1: Go to school in the province where you want to work. This will help you build your network and minimize difficulties of changing jurisdictions where the laws may differ. Criterion #2: Minimize your debt. All Canadian law schools give you the same JD and all differences in outcome are due to individual differences among students. The fact that some schools have stronger or weaker students says nothing about the school itself, so you may as well just get the degree as cheap as possible. Therefore, without further ado, the one true objective ranking of Canadian schools (for English speakers, at least. Don't know enough about the French side of things to comment): If you want to work in BC: 1. UVic 2. UBC 3. TRU If you want to work in Alberta: 1. U of A 2. U of C (might be the better choice if you're dead-set on Calgary). If you want to work in Saskatchewan: U of S If you want to work in Manitoba: U of M If you want to work in Ontario: Anywhere in Ontario but U of T. Lakehead for anywhere north of Sudbury. Only go to Ryerson as a last resort. If you want to work in New Brunswick: UNB. If you want to work in Nova Scotia: Dal. If you want to work in PEI: UNB (see criterion #2). If you want to work in Newfoundland: Wait for Memorial. If you want to work in the North: Haha no you don't. If you want to work in the States: T6 if you can, T7-14 if you must. Otherwise forget it.
    • TRU regularly participates in Vancouver OCIs, Interior BC OCIs, Calgary OCIs, and Edmonton OCIs. TRU is participating in Toronto OCIs for this 2020-21 year because they're being conducted virtually. There is no word yet as to whether TRU will continue to participate in Toronto OCIs in the future. There are TRU grads all over the country, but they're concentrated in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. Here are some questions for OP to consider: Would you rather live in Kamloops or or Saskatoon for 3 years? USask tuition is ~$15,000/year while TRU is $20,000/year. Is that $5000/year savings significant for you?
    • This is why I stuck to Econ and never took Sociology. Although it is worth pointing out to OP (not sure what party he/she volunteered for, but just in case) that just because Sociology profs are that crazy doesn't necessarily mean law school adcoms will be the same.