InevitableReview

Are the OCI firms hiring fewer summer students this year due to COVID?

To echo SalGoodMan, I recommend definitely getting some successful upper years (they're a better resource than Career Centre imo) to take a look at your cover letter and resume and give some pointers before applying to Blaney and others because A- average and applicable work experience should've landed you at least some OCIs.

I had a B average and got 6 OCIs. I'm starting to think that perhaps your application was not received in its entirety -- some glitch that only included some documents, but not others? In my experience, upper years have not been all that helpful, but it might be worth reaching out to them in this case. 

Yeah something definitely went wrong with your submission, this is very abnormal. Chances of this organically happening are suspiciously low - a 30-firm strikeout with an A- average. Unless you were a total clown on your cover letters something is off about this. 

OP, if you want a neutral, third-party to look at your cover letter, feel free to PM it to me. I've reviewed quite a few cover letters. There could be something you're overlooking. 

• Like 4

completely anecdotal, but i heard from a reliable source that at one firm a UOttawa student applied, it showed their application was received on the via portal, but the firm never got the application - i'd say worth it to email the firms that did not PFO similar to what was shared above... i am also surprised to hear about your 0 OCI results. It is unlikely your cover letter was a hunk of trash if your grades are strong (suggests you can write well enough to beat the curve -> implies you can write a decent cover letter)

Edited by Ghalm

In previous years an A- at UO would give you a 60-70% conversion rate of apps to OCIs at the very least (I had a high B+ and got two-thirds), even with weaker cover letters. Good materials would make that number even higher. 

UO 1L’s from 2019-20 have very inflated grades because of COVID but a zero % conversation rate makes no sense if they read the applications unless there is a major red flag in your background.

4 hours ago, cherrytree said:

OP, it might still be worthwhile to send follow-up emails to the directors of student programs at firms that you'd still be excited to meet with/work for. Ask them if they'd consider fitting you into their OCI schedule if any spots become available again. For the ones that you networked with back in the fall, try to jog their memories about those conversations you had, and above all, convey enthusiasm that you would really appreciate the opportunity to meet with them and you are still super interested. Worst case, everyone ignores you, and you wouldn't be worse off anyways. But if you get lucky even with one firm, you will get yourself back into the game.

Thank you for this advice, it seems worth the shot in the dark and like you said the worst I can get is another no from a firm that wasn't planning on interviewing me to begin with. 

Do you think it would it be worth sending an updated transcript at this point, after the application deadline passed I was able to strike out a lower grade with compassionate grading and received another high grade from my January intensive course. Or maybe I should just stick with a quick email so they don't have to invest too much time into replying.

5 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

Thank you for this advice, it seems worth the shot in the dark and like you said the worst I can get is another no from a firm that wasn't planning on interviewing me to begin with. 

Do you think it would it be worth sending an updated transcript at this point, after the application deadline passed I was able to strike out a lower grade with compassionate grading and received another high grade from my January intensive course. Or maybe I should just stick with a quick email so they don't have to invest too much time into replying.

I wouldn't attach the updated transcript since there could be doubts as to whether it's fair for the employers to consider the grades you received after the application deadline has passed. I would keep the email short and to the point, i.e. summarize in one sentence what makes you a great candidate and make the case for why you deserve to be re-considered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cherrytree said:

I wouldn't attach the updated transcript since there could be doubts as to whether it's fair for the employers to consider the grades you received after the application deadline has passed. I would keep the email short and to the point, i.e. summarize in one sentence what makes you a great candidate and make the case for why you deserve to be re-considered.

Makes sense, thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

Makes sense, thanks again for the advice.

Good luck! FWIW I had 10 OCIs for the 2L recruit and struck out without a job anyways. All happy/lucky candidates are alike; each unhappy/unlucky candidate is unhappy/unlucky in their own way.

Take the time you need to recuperate from this disappointment and I hope there will be happier days ahead for you.

Edited by cherrytree
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

They intentionally set up the timeline so you couldn't strike your Fall grade before OCI applications. Was the grade particularly low? If it was like... a D, I could see firms skipping over you based on it. 

9 minutes ago, cherrytree said:

Good luck! FWIW I had 10 OCIs for the 2L recruit and struck out without a job anyways. All happy/lucky candidates are alike; each unhappy/unlucky candidate is unhappy/unlucky in their own way.

Take the time you need to recuperate from this disappointment and I hope there will be happier days ahead for you.

Oh wow I'm sorry to hear about that, I'm not sure if that's better or worse than my situation.

I'm aware that the vast majority of students don't even get a job from OCIs so even if nothing comes out of my efforts at least I can say I tried!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

They intentionally set up the timeline so you couldn't strike your Fall grade before OCI applications. Was the grade particularly low? If it was like... a D, I could see firms skipping over you based on it. 

No my lowest grade is a B+ but striking it still technically increased my gpa. I can see that it's just incremental gains at this point and I'm just splitting hairs though.

1 minute ago, InevitableReview said:

No my lowest grade is a B+ but striking it still technically increased my gpa. I can see that it's just incremental gains at this point and I'm just splitting hairs though.

Wow. At the end of the day, you have awesome grades and are going to do great going forward once you figure out what happened here.

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat, @InevitableReview uOttawa student with a higher than B+ average and decent (imo) extracurrics. Not sure what more I could have done but I received 0 oci offers too. I chalk it up to really tough competition this year, or maybe my cover letter wasn't good enough. 

Edited by Justforlaw
Too much personal info in first comment

I echo what others here have said: that is very odd that you had higher than a B+ no OCIs at all. I strongly suggest that you look into this because many firms have still prioritized grades heavily in this recruit. Although you may be at a school that does not have a great OCI-to-student ratio (U of T and Oz supposedly having the best OCI-to-student ratio) it’s worth looking into for your next applications. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cookies20000 said:

I echo what others here have said: that is very odd that you had higher than a B+ no OCIs at all. I strongly suggest that you look into this because many firms have still prioritized grades heavily in this recruit. Although you may be at a school that does not have a great OCI-to-student ratio (U of T and Oz supposedly having the best OCI-to-student ratio) it’s worth looking into for your next applications. 

Thank you for your advice. I actually have not received rejection emails from any firm, does that count for something? Or do they typically not send rejection emails? 

5 minutes ago, Justforlaw said:

Thank you for your advice. I actually have not received rejection emails from any firm, does that count for something? Or do they typically not send rejection emails? 

It depends but all my uOttawa friends got PFOs from Davies and then Blakes so yea maybe. Just email a few firms and ask if they received your application. What will you lose? 

6 minutes ago, Justforlaw said:

I applied to the Ottawa recruit but I am a UOttawa student. McMillan was the only firm to send me an email - otherwise, I found out via the Source. Out of curiosity, you did indicate on the source which firms you applied to, right? Otherwise, the CPDC notes that you won’t be eligible for OCIs... 

12 minutes ago, Justforlaw said:

You applied to Toronto but didn't get the infamous Davies' PFO? I'm worried you might have had a technological issue with your application...

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 1