Jump to content
InevitableReview

Are the OCI firms hiring fewer summer students this year due to COVID?

Recommended Posts

To echo SalGoodMan, I recommend definitely getting some successful upper years (they're a better resource than Career Centre imo) to take a look at your cover letter and resume and give some pointers before applying to Blaney and others because A- average and applicable work experience should've landed you at least some OCIs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a B average and got 6 OCIs. I'm starting to think that perhaps your application was not received in its entirety -- some glitch that only included some documents, but not others? In my experience, upper years have not been all that helpful, but it might be worth reaching out to them in this case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah something definitely went wrong with your submission, this is very abnormal. Chances of this organically happening are suspiciously low - a 30-firm strikeout with an A- average. Unless you were a total clown on your cover letters something is off about this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, if you want a neutral, third-party to look at your cover letter, feel free to PM it to me. I've reviewed quite a few cover letters. There could be something you're overlooking. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

completely anecdotal, but i heard from a reliable source that at one firm a UOttawa student applied, it showed their application was received on the via portal, but the firm never got the application - i'd say worth it to email the firms that did not PFO similar to what was shared above... i am also surprised to hear about your 0 OCI results. It is unlikely your cover letter was a hunk of trash if your grades are strong (suggests you can write well enough to beat the curve -> implies you can write a decent cover letter)

Edited by Ghalm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In previous years an A- at UO would give you a 60-70% conversion rate of apps to OCIs at the very least (I had a high B+ and got two-thirds), even with weaker cover letters. Good materials would make that number even higher. 

UO 1L’s from 2019-20 have very inflated grades because of COVID but a zero % conversation rate makes no sense if they read the applications unless there is a major red flag in your background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cherrytree said:

OP, it might still be worthwhile to send follow-up emails to the directors of student programs at firms that you'd still be excited to meet with/work for. Ask them if they'd consider fitting you into their OCI schedule if any spots become available again. For the ones that you networked with back in the fall, try to jog their memories about those conversations you had, and above all, convey enthusiasm that you would really appreciate the opportunity to meet with them and you are still super interested. Worst case, everyone ignores you, and you wouldn't be worse off anyways. But if you get lucky even with one firm, you will get yourself back into the game.

Thank you for this advice, it seems worth the shot in the dark and like you said the worst I can get is another no from a firm that wasn't planning on interviewing me to begin with. 

 

Do you think it would it be worth sending an updated transcript at this point, after the application deadline passed I was able to strike out a lower grade with compassionate grading and received another high grade from my January intensive course. Or maybe I should just stick with a quick email so they don't have to invest too much time into replying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

Thank you for this advice, it seems worth the shot in the dark and like you said the worst I can get is another no from a firm that wasn't planning on interviewing me to begin with. 

 

Do you think it would it be worth sending an updated transcript at this point, after the application deadline passed I was able to strike out a lower grade with compassionate grading and received another high grade from my January intensive course. Or maybe I should just stick with a quick email so they don't have to invest too much time into replying.

I wouldn't attach the updated transcript since there could be doubts as to whether it's fair for the employers to consider the grades you received after the application deadline has passed. I would keep the email short and to the point, i.e. summarize in one sentence what makes you a great candidate and make the case for why you deserve to be re-considered.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cherrytree said:

I wouldn't attach the updated transcript since there could be doubts as to whether it's fair for the employers to consider the grades you received after the application deadline has passed. I would keep the email short and to the point, i.e. summarize in one sentence what makes you a great candidate and make the case for why you deserve to be re-considered.

Makes sense, thanks again for the advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

Makes sense, thanks again for the advice.

Good luck! FWIW I had 10 OCIs for the 2L recruit and struck out without a job anyways. All happy/lucky candidates are alike; each unhappy/unlucky candidate is unhappy/unlucky in their own way.

Take the time you need to recuperate from this disappointment and I hope there will be happier days ahead for you.

Edited by cherrytree
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

Do you think it would it be worth sending an updated transcript at this point, after the application deadline passed I was able to strike out a lower grade with compassionate grading and received another high grade from my January intensive course. Or maybe I should just stick with a quick email so they don't have to invest too much time into replying.

They intentionally set up the timeline so you couldn't strike your Fall grade before OCI applications. Was the grade particularly low? If it was like... a D, I could see firms skipping over you based on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cherrytree said:

Good luck! FWIW I had 10 OCIs for the 2L recruit and struck out without a job anyways. All happy/lucky candidates are alike; each unhappy/unlucky candidate is unhappy/unlucky in their own way.

Take the time you need to recuperate from this disappointment and I hope there will be happier days ahead for you.

Oh wow I'm sorry to hear about that, I'm not sure if that's better or worse than my situation.

I'm aware that the vast majority of students don't even get a job from OCIs so even if nothing comes out of my efforts at least I can say I tried!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

They intentionally set up the timeline so you couldn't strike your Fall grade before OCI applications. Was the grade particularly low? If it was like... a D, I could see firms skipping over you based on it. 

No my lowest grade is a B+ but striking it still technically increased my gpa. I can see that it's just incremental gains at this point and I'm just splitting hairs though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, InevitableReview said:

No my lowest grade is a B+ but striking it still technically increased my gpa. I can see that it's just incremental gains at this point and I'm just splitting hairs though.

Wow. At the end of the day, you have awesome grades and are going to do great going forward once you figure out what happened here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same boat, @InevitableReview uOttawa student with a higher than B+ average and decent (imo) extracurrics. Not sure what more I could have done but I received 0 oci offers too. I chalk it up to really tough competition this year, or maybe my cover letter wasn't good enough. 

Edited by Justforlaw
Too much personal info in first comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I echo what others here have said: that is very odd that you had higher than a B+ no OCIs at all. I strongly suggest that you look into this because many firms have still prioritized grades heavily in this recruit. Although you may be at a school that does not have a great OCI-to-student ratio (U of T and Oz supposedly having the best OCI-to-student ratio) it’s worth looking into for your next applications. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cookies20000 said:

I echo what others here have said: that is very odd that you had higher than a B+ no OCIs at all. I strongly suggest that you look into this because many firms have still prioritized grades heavily in this recruit. Although you may be at a school that does not have a great OCI-to-student ratio (U of T and Oz supposedly having the best OCI-to-student ratio) it’s worth looking into for your next applications. 

Thank you for your advice. I actually have not received rejection emails from any firm, does that count for something? Or do they typically not send rejection emails? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Justforlaw said:

Thank you for your advice. I actually have not received rejection emails from any firm, does that count for something? Or do they typically not send rejection emails? 

It depends but all my uOttawa friends got PFOs from Davies and then Blakes so yea maybe. Just email a few firms and ask if they received your application. What will you lose? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Justforlaw said:

Thank you for your advice. I actually have not received rejection emails from any firm, does that count for something? Or do they typically not send rejection emails? 

I applied to the Ottawa recruit but I am a UOttawa student. McMillan was the only firm to send me an email - otherwise, I found out via the Source. Out of curiosity, you did indicate on the source which firms you applied to, right? Otherwise, the CPDC notes that you won’t be eligible for OCIs... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Justforlaw said:

Thank you for your advice. I actually have not received rejection emails from any firm, does that count for something? Or do they typically not send rejection emails? 

You applied to Toronto but didn't get the infamous Davies' PFO? I'm worried you might have had a technological issue with your application...

Edited by chaboywb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Non, c'est impossible, ce sont les crédits au moments de la demande d'admission.
    • Does anyone know if we can submit our Winter grades? Considering it would boost my cGPA. 
    • I have had to resort to a timer (count-down, not count-up) many times over the last few months. A timer is something I would occasionally resort to even in normal times, and would use a timer of between 25-45 minutes. Now sometimes I set a timer for 10 minutes just to get me actually doing something because there's no other way.
    • What do people recommend in terms of how I should organize materials? Whatever works for you. I found the easiest and cheapest method was hole-punching the top left corner and using rings I bought at Staples to separate each section. Professional cerlox binding looks nice but if you want to rearrange or there's an error, good luck fixing it yourself! Some people just use good old staplers. There's no right answer. The exam is largely a page-flipping exercise so your organization method should cater to this. Is it true to that it is recommended to just skip the whole Tax section? Don't skip anything. What you focus on is a different story. Better to update old indices or make my own or buy one? Like @baklava, I made mine in a group. It was annoying to do but probably helped a bit or at least it gave me peace of mind. I'd never have paid for an index though. If you read the materials, highlight well, and learn to work the ToC, you'll be fine. Where do I find old indices? My group worked from an index from friends who had written the bar the year prior. Should I be updating indices as I read the material? Or should I read all the material once, highlight it and then go back and update indices? If you plan to update indexes entirely on your own, as you read the materials, that sounds like a humungous waste of time with very limited payoff. Either work in a group or learn to use the ToC. Don't try and create an index by yourself, that is way too much work for one person. If you create a group index, yeah you just update as you read that section, so reading that section will take you longer than the rest. Is there a recommended amount of time we should spend on studying each day? Do the math yourself. How many pages do you need to read? How many days do you want to read them in? Divide one by the other. Read that many pages a day. Is it worth it buying practise exams and doing them? Do we have time to do them? Practice was absolutely essential for me. If you can access free exams great. If you can't, I guess you'll have to buy them?

×
×
  • Create New...