InevitableReview

Are the OCI firms hiring fewer summer students this year due to COVID?

I'm just in venting mode and am trying to find excuses as to why I didn't even get one OCI interview offer with an A- average, good extra curriculars, and decent transactional firm experience prior to law school. I even spoke to recruiters early September/october and they said my resume and cover letter looked good, so it feels so surreal right now that I applied to 30+ firms and didn't even get a foot in the door.

I'm sure being an Ottawa student didn't help me for the Toronto OCIs either, but damn is it demoralizing. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Numbers-wise we won’t know until the recruit is over. 

School wouldn’t play a part at this point, they likely fill the OCI slate either way. 

If that’s really what you want you should set up applications to firms like WeirFoulds and Blaney McMurtry who usually wait until after the recruit to do theirs.  

• Like 1

That's whack man, maybe they didn't receive your apps? I talked to a bunch of firms and they said this past year was their most profitable year ever, so I don't imagine much of a decline in students being hired. 

29 minutes ago, Prospero said:

That's whack man, maybe they didn't receive your apps? I talked to a bunch of firms and they said this past year was their most profitable year ever, so I don't imagine much of a decline in students being hired. 

Many of my peers had similar results so I don't think so. I got specifically emailed PFOs from a bunch of firms too. Maybe the competition was tougher, maybe I failed to wow them with my cover letter. Only thing to do now is move forward I suppose!

33 minutes ago, easttowest said:

School wouldn’t play a part at this point, they likely fill the OCI slate either way. 

If that’s really what you want you should set up applications to firms like WeirFoulds and Blaney McMurtry who usually wait until after the recruit to do theirs.  

Weirfoulds actually did participate in OCIs this year. I have Blaney on my radar and I'm slowly putting together a list of midsize and small firms that also do transactional corporate/commercial work that I'll be cold calling.

I'm sure there was something off with my resume or cover letter or experience that just wasn't what firms were looking for and I'm mostly in denial still. Regardless, thanks for your reply and advice. 

50 minutes ago, easttowest said:

That's what I was thinking. Most firms hold 20 interviews at uOttawa (a couple do 40, I think). I don't know why theyd reduce that number even if they were planning to eventually hire less students.

It could be more competitive this year as students that would usually only be participating in the Vancouver or Ottawa recruit may be hedging their bets by applying to Toronto as well. But zero OCIs with an A- is extremely surprising. Its hard to know what could have gone wrong without seeing your application materials.

If you’re talking about 1L grades, one thing to remember is that an A- average isn’t a normal A- average this year. It’s impossible to know how many other students had an A- average but I bet it’s more than other years. 

• Like 2

That's true... 1Ls had that discretionary pass/fail thing last year. OP, what were your actual grades on your transcript? You dont have to say what courses, but I'm curious about the distribution.

6 minutes ago, easttowest said:

If you’re talking about 1L grades, one thing to remember is that an A- average isn’t a normal A- average this year. It’s impossible to know how many other students had an A- average but I bet it’s more than other years. 

And this thread is a great example of why the pass fail thing was so stupid.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, easttowest said:

I didn't clue in to this at all when I read this the first time.

It would be completely absurd if the OP got a single A- and opted Cr for every other class and then created this thread without that context (and thus I give them the credit of assuming this is not the case). But it would also help make sense of the outcome for them.

23 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

That's true... 1Ls had that discretionary pass/fail thing last year. OP, what were your actual grades on your transcript? You dont have to say what courses, but I'm curious about the distribution.

I didn't take any pass/fail options and my lowest grade was a B+ if that helps. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I didn't clue in to this at all when I read this the first time.

It would be completely absurd if the OP got a single A- and opted Cr for every other class and then created this thread without that context (and thus I give them the credit of assuming this is not the case). But it would also help make sense of the outcome for them.

That would be a hilarious way to game the system, but unfortunately(fortunately?) I didn't think of that and got my grades the old fashioned way

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, InevitableReview said:

I didn't take any pass/fail options and my lowest grade was a B+ if that helps. 

Well this is very unusual then.

That is so strange. I participated in the Toronto OCIs with a B+ avg and got a decent amount. Do you know what % of the class you fall under?

17 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

I see a lot of TBDs, but the firms that have the numbers up are in line with previous years.

Yeah, almost all the firms on there (nationals) have regular numbers up for my city (Ottawa)

I think it's anyone's guess why you didn't get any OCIs. Could be anything from your PDF files being corrupt (though I'd hope that someone would tell you this), to your cover letter not reading as a good "fit" for the firm, or even not liking the results when searching your name in Google or on social media platforms. OCIs aren't the be all, end all. I'd suggest speaking with your CDO, carefully crafting your cover letters, sending your docs to someone else to make sure they open, and changing your socials to private if they aren't already. Good luck with the job hunt. There's lots still out there.

OP, it might still be worthwhile to send follow-up emails to the directors of student programs at firms that you'd still be excited to meet with/work for. Ask them if they'd consider fitting you into their OCI schedule if any spots become available again. For the ones that you networked with back in the fall, try to jog their memories about those conversations you had, and above all, convey enthusiasm that you would really appreciate the opportunity to meet with them and you are still super interested. Worst case, everyone ignores you, and you wouldn't be worse off anyways. But if you get lucky even with one firm, you will get yourself back into the game.

• Like 5

Assuming both your 1L and 2L fall grades are that high, it might be safe to assume one of two things: (1) grades weren't as important this year because of how many schools went P/F, or (2) something in your resume/cover letter needs fixing.