BFK

A few questions (3.6, 170)

Hi, I have a few questions regarding the admissions process and I was wondering if someone would be able to answer them.

1. How many times is a file evaluated? Say your file was looked at in December but you weren't admitted (only took one LSAT in August), does your file get re-evaluated again or do they reject it right there and then and you find out about the decision sometime in April? 
  2. When I was applying for Osgoode I was in somewhat of rush and I accidentally labeled my Part B "Equity" PS as "Work and Life Experiences". How big of an impact might that have on the decision? Also what impact will a late submission of corroborating documents have?
  3. I have ~3.6 cGPA/B2/B3 and a 170 LSAT. My PS is good, ECs are mediocre (I was working full-time), and my letters of recommendation are stellar. What are my chances of admission at uOttawa, Oz, UofT, and Queens (general category)?
  4. I haven't gotten a response from any school yet and as each day passes, my mental health and self esteem take hit. I can't focus on school or anything else for that matter. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this stress? 

Thanks in advance!

7 minutes ago, BFK said:

I haven't gotten a response from any school yet and as each day passes, my mental health and self esteem take hit. I can't focus on school or anything else for that matter. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this stress? 

Full disclosure: I'm just an applicant. Anyway,

1. Take a break from the forum if it's prompting this sort of stress.

2. Your CGPA is slightly below most schools' averages, but your LSAT (more than) makes up for it.

3. Use this as an opportunity to learn how to manage and/or cope with stress in a healthy way. It'll be a tremendous asset when we become lawyers.

4.  From what I've gleaned from this website, if your application isn't seriously messed up (and no, this isn't permission to get paranoid over it), you're almost certainly getting an acceptance from one of those schools.

Edited by TheMidnightOil

1. I believe they will not reject your file automatically unless it's severely below their averages or there's something concerning in your PS. They'll re-evaluate once more information comes in including updated LSAT marks and transcripts. For example, my file is not competitive for certain schools as of now, but will be once this term is over. I've contacted the respective schools and they said they would re-evaluate once my final transcripts are in.

2. I don't know how much it will matter but if you're worried, contact them and let them know of the error. It definitely won't make them discard your application because I'm sure everyone makes mistakes - I certainly did. 

3. I think, with your LSAT, you have a solid chance at uOttawa and Queen's. I'm less certain of UofT and Osgoode - I didn't apply there so I don't really keep up with their stats. 

4. Don't worry about not getting responses yet because, as countless people have reiterated, it's still early on in the admissions cycle. Something that helped alleviate some of my stress was this: 

A user compiled the acceptance stats and dates received for UAlberta, and when looking at the dates, the majority of acceptances occurred in February. The Feb statistics were often higher than the Dec/Jan ones as well, perhaps because of updated grades and those who didn't submit their app early. I figure most universities will have acceptance trends like at UAlberta.

It's all a matter of them getting to your file, and if you haven't gotten notice yet, it's not because they're rejecting you but that they simply haven't looked at your application.

Best of luck and as @TheMidnightOil said, try to find some avenues to help manage your stress. I've been reading, practicing musical instruments, and watching a lot of TV. There are also some really interesting threads in the off-topic section on lawstudents.ca! Find something that interests you to distract yourself and remind yourself that you have great stats that you should be proud of!

Edited by samii
  • Like 1

4. I can speak to this one. As a current applicant, I can really identify with what you are describing. This process is pretty gruelling.. especially when you start to feel left out and begin questioning every aspect of your application in an attempt to find flaws. And then you find flaws and obsess on them compulsively. You begin saying to yourself, why did I word myself like that? Why did I not mention this? Is this even grammatically correct!?? But I digress 😛 Supporting your own mental health & wellbeing during journey is crucial. I think this will look a bit different for everyone. I realized I had to make some changes when I found myself checking OLSAS (and this forum) first thing in the AM and before I went to bed lol. I noticed a change in my own wellbeing when I began focusing on things that I can control (rather than fixating on the unknowns and what ifs). I created a detailed plan outlining what I will do next year if I am not accepted this cycle. The more I outlined and fine tuned my plan, the more I realized- hey, if I am not accepted this cycle, my life will go on... and it will be just fine. Law school will come together when the timing is right. I'll get there, it's just a matter of when. So yeah, I suppose my biggest piece of advice is to focus on the things you CAN control. This has helped me :) 

Edited by optimistic

I might get some flack for it, but ref your point 4:  Assume you weren't successful.

Not that you won't be, but I assume by this point you've done everything you can for this particular admissions cycle.  As it is now out of your hands, assume it won't happen and start on the next project/thing that motivates you/make a different plan for your future. 

What things have you been putting aside to prepare for law school? What do you love to do, that took second place over the last 3-9 months?

Go do that thing. 

Edited by Ayrsayle
  • Like 1