PleaseBeNice2Me

Living Costs/Tuition/ Debt

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone would like to share their financial experience with Uvic. I’m curious foremostly with How much debt people finished with Factoring in  1) How much money they began with 2) Living costs 3) Student loans 4) Scholarships 5) Summer work 6) Other factors. It seems like a common consensus that everyone finishes Law school with some debt- is there truth to that for Uvic? Were scholarships, for example, a major/minor relief on your wallet? We’re summer jobs (I’m assuming they probably come on a competitive basis) able to provide relief?

For newcomers what are your plans for paying for tuition? Personally, If I get accepted I’m moving from Edmonton and I’m coming with enough disposable to (hopefully please god) cover my own first year living/tuition (~25000$). The remaining will most likely have to be students loans. I’d consider myself to be a bit of a frugal bitch so I’m not overly concerned about personal expenses but would ideally not like to finish with a mountain of debt.  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this!! I don’t have experience with student loans and will be moving from the mainland so I’ll be following along👀

• Like 2

I am starting at UVic law next year so can't speak too much to specific law costs, but as a current UVic student I can say that most people I know budget between 1500-2000 a month to live including rent (assuming they don't own a car). Rent can vary from about 600 in a shared house up to 900 in a smaller place maybe with an ensuite, and if living alone is important to you you'll be looking at 1200-1500 in rent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 734bird said:

I am starting at UVic law next year so can't speak too much to specific law costs, but as a current UVic student I can say that most people I know budget between 1500-2000 a month to live including rent (assuming they don't own a car). Rent can vary from about 600 in a shared house up to 900 in a smaller place maybe with an ensuite, and if living alone is important to you you'll be looking at 1200-1500 in rent. 

Do people go on Facebook marketplace/ kijiji to find roommate listings or is it by word of mouth

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, toastedguac said:

Do people go on Facebook marketplace/ kijiji to find roommate listings or is it by word of mouth

There's a facebook group that's popular called UVic off campus housing. Also craigslist and to a lesser extent places4students. There is definitely some word of mouth finds as well but not much you can do about that unless you know people. I've gone through the process of finding housing twice and it's not normally too hard, there are lots of affordable places on good bus routes to or within walking distance of UVic! I'd say a lot easier than bigger cities like Vancouver or Toronto, but that's just a guess!

• Like 2