Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I got ahold of the admissions office the other day and they didn't tell me my GPA calculation over the phone. Are they not giving them out right now because there are too many requests or do you think they just haven't assessed my file yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do give them outright but they haven't finished calculating them. I got through to them over the phone this week as well. They haven't calculated my GPA either (applied late Nov).

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elcs said:

They do give them outright but they haven't finished calculating them. I got through to them over the phone this week as well. They haven't calculated my GPA either (applied late Nov).

So I guess it's safe to assume an offer isn't coming this week? 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I reached out to them like 2 weeks ago to ask for my GPA, they told me to contact them in 3-4 weeks. I applied mid November and I'm literally a UBC student 😅. So it would seem they are quite behind. I also low key speculate that they're telling us to contact them later so that we leave them alone LOL. Cause the same day they told us to expect offers in late Feb/March cause they're swamped, they literally sent out offers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called in this week for my GPA as well and was told to check back in 2-3 weeks for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mmich said:

When I reached out to them like 2 weeks ago to ask for my GPA, they told me to contact them in 3-4 weeks. I applied mid November and I'm literally a UBC student 😅. So it would seem they are quite behind. I also low key speculate that they're telling us to contact them later so that we leave them alone LOL. Cause the same day they told us to expect offers in late Feb/March cause they're swamped, they literally sent out offers.

I totally agree... That's why I made this thread because I feel like they don't want a bunch of people asking for their GPAs and annoying them (like me LOL). The optimistic side of me thinks that they are sending us an offer before the end of the month so there's no point finding our GPA and telling us it 😜 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mmich said:

When I reached out to them like 2 weeks ago to ask for my GPA, they told me to contact them in 3-4 weeks. I applied mid November and I'm literally a UBC student 😅. So it would seem they are quite behind. I also low key speculate that they're telling us to contact them later so that we leave them alone LOL. Cause the same day they told us to expect offers in late Feb/March cause they're swamped, they literally sent out offers.

thats so strange - i called them like right after winter break (current UBC student) and they were able to access right away 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, legalleopard said:

thats so strange - i called them like right after winter break (current UBC student) and they were able to access right away 

That's why I speculate that they have all this information, but they just want us to leave them alone LOL 😅 They did take a long time to upload my transcript though, it wasn't up on the portal until late December.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm literally so scared to contact them to ask because i'm worried they'll be annoyed by the question lol 

I know some people have emailed them to ask... do you think this would get better results or is it better to call (in a few weeks so as to not annoy them) and get it that way 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, swizzlem12 said:

i'm literally so scared to contact them to ask because i'm worried they'll be annoyed by the question lol 

I know some people have emailed them to ask... do you think this would get better results or is it better to call (in a few weeks so as to not annoy them) and get it that way 

When did you apply? I wouldn't feel nervous about contacting them, just be respectful of course. If they haven't been able to calculate your results yet they'll let you know when to check back. Make sure to calculate your GPA yourself beforehand so you know if their calculations are correct or not. 

For reference I applied in early November. Emailed to check about a month later and they said to check back in mid-January. Called in mid-Jan and they had calculated it for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Byzantine said:

When did you apply? I wouldn't feel nervous about contacting them, just be respectful of course. If they haven't been able to calculate your results yet they'll let you know when to check back. Make sure to calculate your GPA yourself beforehand so you know if their calculations are correct or not. 

For reference I applied in early November. Emailed to check about a month later and they said to check back in mid-January. Called in mid-Jan and they had calculated it for me. 

I applied right on the deadline lol, December 1st

I do have it self calculated but i went on exchange 3rd year and idk how that factors in to their calculation... for example OLSAS didn't even factor in my exchange marks so maybe I should have a second calculation in case Allard policy is similar, unless anyone knows this answer

Thanks for your comment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, swizzlem12 said:

I applied right on the deadline lol, December 1st

I do have it self calculated but i went on exchange 3rd year and idk how that factors in to their calculation... for example OLSAS didn't even factor in my exchange marks so maybe I should have a second calculation in case Allard policy is similar, unless anyone knows this answer

Thanks for your comment!

Ya probably right to call in a couple weeks to check then as seems like a bunch of people who applied in Nov are still waiting too. Sorry don't have any clue about exchange marks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Byzantine said:

Make sure to calculate your GPA yourself beforehand so you know if their calculations are correct or not

This is maybe a stupid question, but does anyone know how to convert marks from a 4.0 scale to their percentages? I see the percentages --> 4.3 scale conversion chart on their website, but nothing about 4.0 scales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, beccaberlin said:

This is maybe a stupid question, but does anyone know how to convert marks from a 4.0 scale to their percentages? I see the percentages --> 4.3 scale conversion chart on their website, but nothing about 4.0 scales.

Everything is the same, you just convert your A+s to a 4.33!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Everything is the same, you just convert your A+s to a 4.33!

I go to McGill and they don't do A+s, only As, so I'm not really sure what to do in my case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, beccaberlin said:

 

I go to McGill and they don't do A+s, only As, so I'm not really sure what to do in my case.

It might be the case that your GPA is capped at 4.0 then, which would be unfortunate/unfair. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, swizzlem12 said:

I applied right on the deadline lol, December 1st

I do have it self calculated but i went on exchange 3rd year and idk how that factors in to their calculation... for example OLSAS didn't even factor in my exchange marks so maybe I should have a second calculation in case Allard policy is similar, unless anyone knows this answer

Thanks for your comment!

I also went on exchange in my 3rd year and they asked me if the credits were transferred, I told them yes and they said they would count the grades from exchange as well. Even though my exchange grades didn’t show up on my undergrad transcript, I submitted my exchange transcript as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, elcs said:

I also went on exchange in my 3rd year and they asked me if the credits were transferred, I told them yes and they said they would count the grades from exchange as well. Even though my exchange grades didn’t show up on my undergrad transcript, I submitted my exchange transcript as well.

yeah same, on my home transcript it just said i took x number of courses and passed them all but i had to submit a second transcript

so they are calculated into their gpa then just to be clear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, swizzlem12 said:

i'm literally so scared to contact them to ask because i'm worried they'll be annoyed by the question lol 

I know some people have emailed them to ask... do you think this would get better results or is it better to call (in a few weeks so as to not annoy them) and get it that way 

don't be nervous. You paid ~90 dollars to have a group of people decide your potential career trajectory. I feel like it's fair to ask about your stats. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • I don't think they weigh your cGPA too heavily. My cGPA is pretty tragic but I have a strong L2 and a sub-par LSAT and was waitlisted last cycle. I know that's not an acceptance but I really do think they prioritize your L2, and favour a strong upward trend. (I have friends who were accepted over previous cycles with lower cGPA's but strong L2's as well). 
    • I was accepted by Western this cycle with with a 3.08 cGPA and a 3.65 L2 (and a 167 LSAT). Mind you, I also have 2 masters degrees and got an A- average in both (both were course-based). I think cGPA does matter, but they account for how long ago your undergrad was and what you've done since then, and whether you've proved that you could probably do better if you were given another chance (and ergo succeed in law school). 
    • Hi, are there any LLM applicants for the year 2021/2022 who received an admission e mail from Dalhousie? My application was completed on 31st March 2021 and waiting for a reply from the University. Just wondering whether any one of you guys have an update.    Thank you!!!
    • There are a lot of municipalities in Canada. City of Toronto hires a few articling students (most of their lawyers are former articling students and they rarely hire from outside though), along with Region of Peel, York Region, and some others I've seen. For federal government, there is only really the DOJ Legal Excellence Program. The municipalities also hire junior lawyers and I've seen quite a few postings in York Region and the surrounding areas. The process is a lot faster than the federal government which can take over a year from the time you apply. The federal government rarely hires junior lawyers outside of its articling students and federal court clerks. And you often see mid-level lawyers applying for LP-01 positions with the federal government and going through a written exam and interview processes just to end up in a waiting pool. I know people who applied in 2019 for the most recent DOJ LP-01 recruitment process and were put into a waiting pool which is scheduled to expire soon, after which point you have to apply all over again. So getting your foot in the door is a lot harder than it is for municipal and provincial. Certainly, getting into provincial is easier than municipal as there are a lot more legal positions available as well. 
    • Hey I'm a bit late here but I can give you my personal experience. It is quit the contrary of what your expectations seem to be. I did 3 years CEGEP and a 4 year Undergrad (just because I took my time). I spent some time managing a restaurant, then started a law certificate in the evening, then law school. I thought I would be disadvantaged because my background was so far away form the classic path to Biglaw. I will be 28 when graduating. I just did my Course aux stages and got 4 offers, while having a 3.65 GPA. First, they don't care about your age. If you have done anything productive in the past 10 years, it will be a great advantage to you in the interviews, because you might have more to say than anyone else. Find a way to highlight your maturity/leadership or whatever it is you have developed while others were in high school. I had a lot of misconceptions about a supposed prejudice towards older candidates, but I can assure you they don't really care. Get involved in whatever gets you going and be passionate about something. Good luck!

×
×
  • Create New...