lawcat

1L Recruit Success Story with Bad Grades?

I struck out in one 1L interview and it was the best thing that ever happened for my career. I ended up in a way better place through the 2L recruit and would have regretted taking the “bird in the hand” from 1L-an associate position.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, onepost said:

This is somewhat trite, but I'd like to give a little perspective: One way to have a 1L recruit success story is to... not get a position, do something interesting and fun over the summer, then get a job you love later in law school (which may well just be the job you didn't get in the 1L recruit). 

1L is a great summer to try new things, spread your wings, etc. The firm jobs are nice for people who for whatever reason know they love Bay Street work, but if you are at all on the fence you are missing out on very little by not landing one of those positions. (This is also true -- perhaps even more true -- for people with excellent grades! There are far more interesting opportunities out there, in my opinion.) 2L summer is just around the corner.

If you have so-so grades now, do not waste your time fighting an uphill battle for a 1L position. Focus on getting good grades this semester, and finding something else to do over the summer. There are so many cool possibilities! 

Where do people usually find jobs? I've been looking but here in BC there doesn't seem to be many things available? My career services office also hasn't posted much apart from traditional 1L recruit jobs...

48 minutes ago, companyonion said:

Where do people usually find jobs? I've been looking but here in BC there doesn't seem to be many things available? My career services office also hasn't posted much apart from traditional 1L recruit jobs...

We don’t really have 1L jobs in BC. Usually there’s one for indigenous applicants and an IP one for people with a hard science background but that’s it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, companyonion said:

To add to @Starling, there are a handful of specific firms that hire 1L students, but there's no formal recruitment process like other provinces have. Most of those 1L positions had application deadlines in January.

In BC, most 1Ls who want legal experience over the summer either volunteer with LSLAP or at a small law firm.

• Like 1

I can't speak for other law schools, but U of T had fellowship funding (for public interest and international opportunities) and internal positions -- neither of which are hugely grade-sensitive. 

Even in the absence of those opportunities, I know plenty of people who worked jobs at smaller firms (which did not participate in the grade-selective formal recruit), non-legal opportunities, or even traveled. To a greater or lesser extent, all of these opportunities require you to be a bit proactive, in a way the formal recruit does not.  

Even if none of these works out, you shouldn't feel like you've failed at the 1L recruit. The summer (and this semester) may give you an opportunity to think about and explore other kinds of opportunities, which are more readily pursued in 2L or the articling recruit. 

• Like 1

I did the calgary recruit with just B's and was called back for interviews... Not sure if it's purely about grades 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, easttowest said:

^ Calgary is entirely different, they have a large 1L recruit.

Any reason why Calgary can afford a larger recruit? 

4 minutes ago, robobrain said:

I don’t know that it’s about affording. Toronto firms just don’t do much 1L recruiting.

21 hours ago, robobrain said:

If I had to guess, it's more about securing students who might otherwise be a Bay Street flight risk.

22 hours ago, robobrain said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe some Calgary firms hire for 1L, not 2L, and encourage their students to do something else in their 2L summer.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:57 PM, lawcat said:

Hello,

Perhaps naive, but I was just wondering if anyone here has ever been successful with the 1L recruit despite having bad grades? If so, what did you do that made you stand out?

Thank you 

It can happen. I got a job at a large bay st firm in 1L with two Hs and one P. I’ll never know exactly what the deciding factors were, but clearly something in the interviews is what did it (I note, though, that I had a fairly distinctive resume with lots to discuss). This assumes that you get to the interview stage (though a compelling resume/cover may help that as well). If not, I think the 1L process is still worth trying for - if nothing else, it’s good preparation for next year. I suppose it takes energy away from classes (which matters, I guess, since grades are important), but there’s time to catch up on your readings.

best of luck OP.