lawcat

1L Recruit Success Story with Bad Grades?

Hello,

Perhaps naive, but I was just wondering if anyone here has ever been successful with the 1L recruit despite having bad grades? If so, what did you do that made you stand out?

Thank you :)

Not Extraordinary. Plenty Of Typical Individuals Somehow Manage.

Just kidding. You'd have to be incredibly lucky to succeed in the formal 1L recruit from what I saw. What school are you at?

Edited by chaboywb
  • Haha 6

Some people with strong science backgrounds (Masters or PhD) handily get 1L positions in IP irrespective of grades, but I hardly think that counts as a lucky break or success story - just right fit for the right role. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OzStudent said:

Some people with strong science backgrounds (Masters or PhD) handily get 1L positions in IP irrespective of grades, but I hardly think that counts as a lucky break or success story - just right fit for the right role. 

That's definitely true. I have a science background and was kicking myself for skipping the 1L recruit and later realizing this. 

16 hours ago, lawcat said:

Hello,

Perhaps naive, but I was just wondering if anyone here has ever been successful with the 1L recruit despite having bad grades? If so, what did you do that made you stand out?

As others have hinted, do you have a reason why a firm should hire you as a 1L, if not for your performance in law school thus far? That's the question, and only you can answer it. It better be pretty special because you'll be going up against straight A students with as many ECs as can fit on a resume.

27 minutes ago, brandydafinegurl said:

I managed an interview with a B+ average thus far. We'll see how it goes. 

Granted, it's for PI and I had an A in torts. 

Don't most law schools curve to a B?

Not to be that guy, but I can't imagine any PI firm being part of the vaunted "1L Recruit". 

22 minutes ago, hmyo said:

Not to be that guy, but I can't imagine any PI firm being part of the vaunted "1L Recruit". 

Just crush my dreams geez.  🤕

22 hours ago, lawcat said:

Hello,

Maybe if you network lots? Not sure though.. or a mature student with significant work experience?

1 hour ago, companyonion said:

Maybe if you network lots? Not sure though.. or a mature student with significant work experience?

I think being a mature student with significant work experience would definitely be a helper to someone with average/slightly above average grades, but I honestly can't see someone with "bad grades" getting an interview. The 1L recruit is pretty tiny and extremely competitive.

I know someone who got a job through the Toronto 1L recruit with 2 As and 1 B, no connections. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Astro said:

I know someone who got a job through the Toronto 1L recruit with 2 As and 1 B, no connections. 

Is this post a joke? I can't even tell anymore.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Is this post a joke? I can't even tell anymore.

I should have specified that these were the "worst" grades I heard of in the context of this recruit. 

Edited by Astro

Just now, Astro said:

I should have specified that these were the "worst" grades I heard of in the context of this recruit. 

Lol - well then I guess I'm out. Those are essentially my grades. I only applied to one job though (Ministry of the Attorney General).

8 hours ago, Astro said:

I thought you are talking about people with Cs and Ds

This is somewhat trite, but I'd like to give a little perspective: One way to have a 1L recruit success story is to... not get a position, do something interesting and fun over the summer, then get a job you love later in law school (which may well just be the job you didn't get in the 1L recruit). 

1L is a great summer to try new things, spread your wings, etc. The firm jobs are nice for people who for whatever reason know they love Bay Street work, but if you are at all on the fence you are missing out on very little by not landing one of those positions. (This is also true -- perhaps even more true -- for people with excellent grades! There are far more interesting opportunities out there, in my opinion.) 2L summer is just around the corner.

If you have so-so grades now, do not waste your time fighting an uphill battle for a 1L position. Focus on getting good grades this semester, and finding something else to do over the summer. There are so many cool possibilities! 

Edited by onepost
  • Like 1