youngprod

Chances with weak first lsat

i ended up doing a lot worse than i thought i would’ve done on my January LSAT. while i was doing the RC my tenants decided to move around causing a lot of noise and making me lose focus, causing me to guess a whole passage on the reading comprehension and scoring a 144. my fault for not having non-airpod ear plugs. i was wondering if windsor would be more understanding of first time LSAT taker applicants that scored under the median. also worth adding that i’m applying under the access category and my cgpa is 2.6 with my L2 at ~3.75. additionally, i believe my supporting documents for my access claim are reasonable and i doubt that i would be sent to the general admission category.  

worth noting that i have work experience from all years of my undergraduate degree, with me doing full time school and full time night shifts during my final 2 years of my undergraduate studies. i also did an extra 2 years on my undergraduate degree to build up my L2 and create an upward trending GPA. also I have one strong LOR with another mediocre one. i also believe that my PS was pretty strong as they highlighted the themes of the school and the optional essay effectively outlined my extraneous circumstances. 

i also understand that the Jan test date is the last one to be considered so no need to tell me to rewrite as i will be doing so anyways this summer. just would like to know my chances nonetheless  

no need to sugar coat anything. thanks. 

Edited by youngprod

Unfortunately, no score under a 150 will make you competitive at any Ontario law school regardless of your cGPA. 

Due to the fact that you cannot increase your GPA (assuming you have graduated from your undergraduate degree) you best chances are to rewrite the LSAT. You would likely need to score 165+ to be competitive at any school (except maybe some of the L2/B2 schools).

Goodluck, and try your best to master the LSAT.

• Like 1

i ended up doing a lot worse than i thought i would’ve done on my January LSAT. while i was doing the RC my tenants decided to move around causing a lot of noise and making me lose focus, causing me to guess a whole passage on the reading comprehension and scoring a 144. my fault for not having non-airpod ear plugs. i was wondering if schools would be more understanding of first time LSAT taker applicants that scored under the median. also worth adding that i’m applying under the access category and my cgpa is 2.6 with my L2 at ~3.75. additionally, i believe my supporting documents for my access claim are reasonable and i doubt that i would be sent to the general admission category.  

worth noting that i have work experience from all years of my undergraduate degree, with me doing full time school and full time night shifts during my final 2 years of my undergraduate studies. i also did an extra 2 years on my undergraduate degree to build up my L2 and create an upward trending GPA. also I have one strong LOR with another mediocre one. i also believe that my PS was pretty strong as they highlighted the themes of each school and the optional essays where applicable effectively outlined my extraneous circumstances. 

i’m applying in the access category for lakehead, queens, western, and windsor 

i also understand that the Jan test date is the last one to be considered so no need to tell me to rewrite as i will be doing so anyways this summer. just would like to know my chances nonetheless  

no need to sugar coat anything. thanks. 

Edited by youngprod

You will need to retake, I'm afraid. You won't be getting in anywhere in Canada with a 144. There is no consideration of it being your first time taking the LSAT--that's why you are permitted multiple attempts to improve your score.

Best of luck next time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Schools won't look at your score any favourably because it was your first attempt. That would defeat the point of accepting re-writes.

Re-write - get a tutor, go with Yoni at HarvardReady. The hurdle to get a better LSAT (in my opinion) is much less difficult than applying to law school with a bad GPA. I had to overcome both.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Re-write - get a tutor, go with Yoni at HarvardReady. The hurdle to get a better LSAT (in my opinion) is much less difficult than applying to law school with a bad GPA. I had to overcome both.

have you gotten accepted anywhere after overcoming both?

Just now, youngprod said:

have you gotten accepted anywhere after overcoming both?

Yes. I am in my 1L at uOttawa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, youngprod said:

scoring a 144. my fault for not having non-airpod ear plugs.

You didn't score a 144 because of your AirPods; that score is a sign that you weren't ready to take the test. Take this opportunity to revisit your approach. 

Edited by Tagger
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Tagger said:

You didn't score a 144 because of your AirPods; that score is a sign that you weren't ready to take the test. Take this opportunity to revisit your approach. 

i agree. i did this test barely prepared and with fewpractice tests done beforehand. but i had to prepare while attending to my undergraduate classes too. i’m planning on doing the april one with more preparation. 

Edited by youngprod
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, youngprod said:

i agree. i did this test barely prepared and with fewpractice tests done beforehand. but i had to prepare while attending to my undergraduate classes too. i’m planning on doing the april one with more preparation. 

As the deadline for April is fast approaching, I would consider forgoing this session altogether and focusing on rewriting later in the year if your schedule permits. Since you will presumably be applying for the 2022 cycle, you have lots of time to prepare (theoretically a year maximum from now). It might be tough to get to where you need to be by April as that doesn't leave you with very much time, so I would focus on slowly going through the basics of the LSAT and ensuring you have a thorough understanding of the fundamentals before dropping $$ on test registration.

• Like 2

What's your weakest section? Mine was Logic Games and I found the Powerscore Logic Games Bible incredibly helpful. I also found the Logical Reasoning Bible really improved my time and score on that section. 

6 hours ago, Starling said:

What's your weakest section? Mine was Logic Games and I found the Powerscore Logic Games Bible incredibly helpful. I also found the Logical Reasoning Bible really improved my time and score on that section. 

logic games were probably my weakness. i also got the power score logic game bible and i was looking through it and i think that’s what i needed. i also got the lsat trainer which seems pretty good as well. overall LR and RC were pretty good but i have to be more time efficient with RC

2 hours ago, youngprod said:

logic games were probably my weakness.

This is great news for you, just FYI. LG is by far the most learnable section.

• Like 2

I tell this to everyone who has at some point struggled with the LSAT - take Yoni's course at Harvard Ready. Literally the best LSAT prep out there, I know alot of LSAT companies with attempt to sell themselves as the best prep course out there, but personally speaking Yoni really filled in the cognitive gaps that I was demonstrating in learning the material that other prep courses didn't do. His methods are innovative but highly effective, imo. Give him a shot, I almost guarantee your score will go up if you take his course, read the course books and do all of the homework.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 12:39 AM, capitalttruth said:

IMHO...Yoni's not the greatest tutor....he's much better as an instructor. HR makes much more from its courses than one-on-one tutoring, so it falls by the wayside. Two alternatives:

John @ lawprep180.com (awesome)
Nick @ ozprep.com (equally awesome)

Edited by noireivoire