Did anyone just start feeling like they couldn't find the motivation to study/go to classes/do readings at around this time of the year? I talked to some classmates and I don't think I'm the only one feeling like this. 

I know logically that I'm only hurting myself by not studying but I just can't seem to focus like I did last semester. 

Do you have any experiences with this? Any tips? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Yes, always happens around this time of year when things are starting to pile up but the end isn't yet near. 

You need to get take this entire weekend off. Go skiing or hiking. Buy some new pants. Dust off that old video game you haven't played since the summer. Drink a bottle of wine and watch a bad movie with your friend, partner, or cat. The only law-related thing you need to think about is remembering your career goal and what motivated you to want to do this in the first place.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, dinkleberg said:

Did anyone just start feeling like they couldn't find the motivation to study/go to classes/do readings at around this time of the year? I talked to some classmates and I don't think I'm the only one feeling like this. 

I know logically that I'm only hurting myself by not studying but I just can't seem to focus like I did last semester. 

Do you have any experiences with this? Any tips? 

Yeah. Pandemic has had pretty severe behavioral consequences that we haven't fully grappled with. Humans are creatures of habit, and a full on year of non-stop ennui and stress will have people become more stress avoidant and produce gradual behavioral shifts that we do not notice.

Feeling un-motivated is pretty much a product of overwhelmed chronic stress, its never a personal fault if you are blaming yourself imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, this is the worst time of any year, even in normal times. The dark, the cold, the end of the holidays and back to work (and since the holidays were crap this year, its even worse...).

This thread is mostly us working stiffs commiserating about this, but may have some tips:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Same!  Taking a break to do something non-law related definitely helps me, even if it just means taking an evening or afternoon off.  I find this time of the semester, school feels all consuming.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes. Isolation combined with classes, extracurriculars, and the 2L summer recruit really has me feeling burnt out. Even when I finally have some time to catch up on everything, I can't seem to focus on it. And then I feel guilty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, thebadwife said:

Yes. Isolation combined with classes, extracurriculars, and the 2L summer recruit really has me feeling burnt out. Even when I finally have some time to catch up on everything, I can't seem to focus on it. And then I feel guilty. 

You're doing extracurriculars? 🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I honestly also can't seem to motivate myself to do readings and I'm only 1L...  plus super isolated bc of virtual learning ugh

Edited by companyonion
  • Like 4

Also just incapable of focusing lately, and so darned tired all the time. I'm discouraged and I feel like there's no end in sight. Took the weekend to rest up, which helped only marginally... Not really sure what it's going to take to *wake up* again and focus on all the %$*! I have to do! 

• Like 5

It's an exceptionally crappy time to be in 1L right now and my sympathies to you guys for entering law school this way. As a 3L, I'm dying to be done and start working already. Fortunately, I'm doing some experiential work to change things up. While I appreciate the convenience of virtual school, I miss seeing people in the hallways and stopping for an impromptu chat. I also miss the usual hustle and bustle of Allard and feeling like I'm "in" school. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, poshspice said:

Also just incapable of focusing lately, and so darned tired all the time. I'm discouraged and I feel like there's no end in sight. Took the weekend to rest up, which helped only marginally... Not really sure what it's going to take to *wake up* again and focus on all the %$*! I have to do! 

yeah fr someone wake me up because I'm literally dead inside

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Psychometronic said:

It's an exceptionally crappy time to be in 1L right now and my sympathies to you guys for entering law school this way. As a 3L, I'm dying to be done and start working already. Fortunately, I'm doing some experiential work to change things up. While I appreciate the convenience of virtual school, I miss seeing people in the hallways and stopping for an impromptu chat. I also miss the usual hustle and bustle of Allard and feeling like I'm "in" school. 

yeah it makes me so sad every time a prof is like "sympathies to you guys.. 1L was a formative experience for me.. I'm still in touch with my class of 88!"

at this rate idk if I'd ever be able to make a similar bond with my year...

• Like 2

It's nice to know it's not just me. After the break I thought this semester would be easier, because "now I'm used to it". But there seems to be more work and much more synchronous time this term, and no time to get out and enjoy the days, which are shitty and grey anyway. I am pretty much a husk of myself right now. Reading week starts in a week, but I really need it to start tomorrow instead. ;)

Anyway, the way time works, soon it will be summer whether we're ready for it or not. We will get there - but in my case I'm pretty sure the winter grades will be a little worse, although, there's always the curve (or whatever secret non-curve mechanism we have at UVic).

-GM

• Like 3

just wondering how people are loosing because I'm loosing my goddamn mind lmao. I've been in such a shitty headspace it's affecting law school and personal relationships.

that is all 

Me too :( February was brutal I had no motivation to do anything.

🙋‍♂️  me too

coming up to the last month of the last semester of undergrad, and I feel like doing nothing.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, companyonion said:

just wondering how people are loosing because I'm loosing my goddamn mind lmao. I've been in such a shitty headspace it's affecting law school and personal relationships.

that is all 

same; i totally get it. i feel like i'm pulled by external circumstances (deadlines) to get work done rather than by any internal motivation. it's def affecting my performance.

Edited by makkapakka
Edit: grammar
  • Like 1

Just reading this now and glad I’m not the only one. Last semester of undergrad and motivation really took a hit in mid feb. After a couple weeks of video games, procrastination, and getting high, I finally feel like I’m back and can focus on my studies again. Hoping the best for everyone! 

I feel the same way, and what worries me is that I didn’t feel the same during undergrad. In my final semester of undergrad I finished all of my assignments early, did my readings beforehand, and felt motivated to do a good job. Now it feels like I can do the bare minimum - I’m always a bit behind on readings and am having trouble focusing in class. I know that I should feel motivated to pick up the pace with exams coming up fast, but I can’t force myself to feel that way this time. The advice people typically give hasn’t really helped me. “Have you tried making friends? Have you tried taking a weekend off? Have you tried practicing mindfulness?” All I can really think about is the fact that for the first time ever I’m at risk of failing (or at least doing exceptionally poorly) in school, coupled with the fact that for the first time since I was a teenager I haven’t been able to find a summer job (and I don’t just mean OCI, I mean not even waiting tables or bagging groceries). I know I’m kind of wallowing in self-pity, but the only reason I’m writing this is to let people who are in the same position know that they aren’t the only ones. 

• Like 1