Cookies20000

Concerned that OCIs for my top choices are close to the end of the day

Hi,

I have OCIs for my top choices close to the end of the day. I know that my interviewers will likely be exhausted by then and wanting to get the process over with. 

My questions are:

(1) What are tips for making my interview go better, in light of the fact that my interviewers will likely be tired and checked out by the time of my interview?

(2) Is this a bad sign (e.g. of their interest in me as a candidate)? It was my belief that schedules were system-generated based on availability and not any other factor, but the fact that these firms are more competitive firms, coupled with the fact that, I feel, my grades are only somewhat above-average make me think that this isn't a coincidence. 

You're overthinking this and giving yourself undue anxiety. Your scheduling doesn't matter, and even if it did there's nothing you can do except do your best in the interview.

Do a breathing exercise between interviews to calm your nerves, be yourself in the interview, don't forget that this is an opportunity for you to learn about the firm so prepare a question or two to ask your interviewers.

• Like 1

Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good, by which I mean, don't let imperfect arrangements of your OCI schedule affect your ultimate goal of being great and at least good when you start your conversation with the interviewers. Nothing good comes out of overthinking and rationalizing decisions made by others that are completely beyond your control. Practice your prepared answers so they flow out naturally and make sure you practice in the mirror/webcam to make sure your expressions, voice and tone come across as confident, enthusiastic and measured. Be the candidate who wows the tired interviewers and give them a reason to remember you as the person who brought their very long day to an impressive, memorable end.

• Like 2

I don't think the OCI scheduling necessarily makes as big of an impression as the "in-firm" interviews. Moreover, from a psychological perspective, people tend to remember two sets of people when exposed to many presentations, interviews or meetings, those who they see first and those who they see last. If anything, the worst time to schedule OCI's would be in the middle of the day.

At least this is what I am telling myself about my OCI schedule (Most of mine are later in the day). Content of an interview will always outweigh the timing.