daniellemree

high(er) GPA lower LSAT?

Does a GPA that is on the higher side of things help to balance out a lower LSAT score? I have a 3.8 gpa but only a 158 LSAT. I've applied to U of A, U of C, USask, TRU, Dal and UNB.. does anyone have any insight into whether or not my low LSAT is going to negate my GPA?

Has anyone here been admitted with an LSAT score similar to mine?

Hi! I’ve been admitted to UCalgary and UAlberta. My cGPA is 3.7 and my L2 is 3.9. My LSATs are 159 and 164 (UAlberta averages your scores). I’ll link UAlberta’s admitted applicant profile from 2020 below. I don’t want to say anything necessarily weighs out another (because I’m not sure how they weigh things!), but you can see from the chart that last year UAlberta admitted people with your stats! Calgary also uses a more holistic process, so their average stats are a bit lower than UAlberta’s. Unfortunately I can’t speak to the other schools you mentioned. Hang in there and best of luck!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-u9luOkViBOYVM2bWFMcmJNcUpOZVBZY0lsTVpyOGRIaGFR/view

It's known that UAlberta uses an index score, but they don't release what it is. However, they do release that admitted applicant profile which people have used to reverse engineer (imperfectly, admittedly) an index score. Basically, you multiply your GPA by 22.5 and then add your LSAT score. If you get above 242, then you're in the "safe" range to get admitted. A few points below and it's still possible but not "guaranteed" (as much as this take-it-with-a-grain-of-salt index can guarantee anything).

So for you, assuming 3.8 is also your L2, 3.8*22.5+158=243.5. So you should be okay, but again take this with a grain of salt.

UCalgary, being holistic, is of course a lot more difficult to predict.