dimsum1

Doing later PTs first?

In the 7sage discussion forums, someone said that the later PTs (generally 50+) are tougher.  I was wondering if I should concentrate on the later PTs first, and then go back to earlier ones?  

Edited by dimsum1

I think this is true. And the newer tests are different from the older ones, so the newer ones are more like the one you will see on test day. The general advice I see is to do the opposite of what you are thinking. Start with the older, less relevant ones and move up. That way the most similar tests will be taken close to test day.

• Like 2

I found the newer ones easier! But that may be because I started at 29 and worked my way up to the newer ones over the course of 8 months. 

I figured that I would leave the new ones for last since they would be similar to the actual LSAT I would write. 

I thought the LGs on the older LSATS were more varied and unpredictable versus the more recent PTs. 

For RC, the later PTs (and the current LSAT) always feature a comparative reading passage. I believe that the change was somewhere in the PT 50s (probably around 54 or so?). If you're drilling RC sections, it might be more helpful to do those instead of working on the earlier ones. 

As for LR, I found the newer ones (70+) to be wordier in their question stems. The same type of logic was tested, it just took a little longer to read, it seemed? I'm not sure if others felt this way, but I started doing PTs and drills in the 50s and 60s, and when I first started drilling LR sections from the 70s+, I found myself doing the LR sections quite a bit slower than I was before.  

Usually the 80's are more indicative of what the future tests will be like, I found that they were anyhow. Oddly enough I found the 50's easier than the 80's, but that just might be me. I would still do the earlier ones first because those will be great practice at writing LSAT's in general, then closer to your write date you can go through the 80's and do and should give you a general understanding of your actual score.

If this is your first time writing, I would always consider your actual score to be less than your PT scores (personally I scored 8 lower than my PT on my first write)

I'm not sure how much it matters if you do them first or later, but I'd definitely recommend not leaving the newest ones as your last batch before the actual LSAT. I only started the 80+'s a few weeks before my LSAT and noticed a definite change from the older LSATs I was practicing, which I had gotten used to at that point. It kind of threw me off my game and I wish in retrospect that I'd started the newer prep tests earlier. I think if you do at least some of the newer LSATs earlier, you have some idea of how things change, and won't let yourself get used to the older style of LSAT.

I also noticed the biggest change was with the logic games, so even if you don't take a whole bunch of newer LSATs at the beginning of your studying, try some of the logic games sections at least so you can see how different they are.

Good luck!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hopeful21 said:

Maybe the best option would be to just mix all the PTs up. That way you get a taste of everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hopeful21 said:

I also noticed the biggest change was with the logic games, so even if you don't take a whole bunch of newer LSATs at the beginning of your studying, try some of the logic games sections at least so you can see how different they are.

Good luck!

Oh interesting.  I'm doing the 7sage curriculum and the PTs go sequentially on my study schedule.  Maybe I'll mix them up as suggested.

Edited by dimsum1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, dimsum1 said:

Oh interesting.  I'm doing the 7sage curriculum and the PTs go sequentially on my study schedule.  Maybe I'll mix them up as suggested.

Just my experience! Other people may have found sequential worked best for them, I just found I’d fallen into a pattern or sense of comfort with the older style PTs and got thrown off by the newer ones. Again, might just have been specific to me but figured I’d share my experience :)

11 hours ago, hopeful21 said:

Just my experience! Other people may have found sequential worked best for them, I just found I’d fallen into a pattern or sense of comfort with the older style PTs and got thrown off by the newer ones. Again, might just have been specific to me but figured I’d share my experience :)

I'm rewriting myself. I think I will mix them up but still intentionally leave 5 or 6 of the 80s to do right at the end. That way I'll be used to them but still get the most similar ones at the end.

• Like 2