FirstGear

Apply to Other Schools?

GPA:

• GPA L2 (Jan. 31, 2021): 3.2
  • GPA L2 (Feb. 2021; after release of grades for most recent semester): 3.3
  • GPA B2: 3.8
  • cGPA: 3.4

My first degree was in Math and Economics, where my GPA was much lower. Since then, I've applied half of that to an Accounting degree, where my GPA has been 3.8.

LSAT: not released yet, but anticipating 157-160. Score is released Feb. 3, 2021. I only studied it for about 2 months, so I am confident my scores can rise with re-write(s).

Schools applied to: U of Alberta, U of Calgary.

Studies remaining: 1 last semester (Feb. - May 2021), where I anticipate a 4.0 GPA.

I'm 27 years old and have been in the workforce, and ran a business, for 7 years.

I'm located in in Edmonton, Alberta and have a spouse, and own property here. Because of this, I've been geographically limited to Alberta, hence my school selection. However, it seems unlikely I will be admitted to a school in Alberta given my L2 GPA; the average GPA for admission for previous years has been 3.8; LSAT score 160. Thus I may be forced to relocate.

What other schools should I be looking at, that are still accepting applications for September 2021 admission? Alternatively, what other options do I have?

Edited by FirstGear

To my knowledge, the only schools with applications still open are TRU, U Sask, Dalhousie and UNB. TRU looks at L2, U Sask I’m not sure, Dalhousie I don’t think your stats would be competitive (but check!) and UNB drops I think your 25% lowest credits so that could be a huge help for you!

They also have access/mature/discretionary categories that could work in your favour if you have significant work experience. I’m not sure how those categories work if you’re still in school (I applied as someone who graduated in 2011). If I were you though I would just hang tight for a week until your score comes back! 

• Like 1

USask is a B2 school that’s close to Alberta and whose applications close on Feb 1st (in two days!). It’s definitely worth a shot for you given that strong B2.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I learned that some schools accept transfer applicants from other law programs. Could this be an option - to study L1 in one school - and transfer into L2 at another? 

1 minute ago, FirstGear said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I learned that some schools accept transfer applicants from other law programs. Could this be an option - to study L1 in one school - and transfer into L2 at another? 

Definitely! As long as you don’t bank on it. If you go to a school, make sure you feel comfortable being there for the full 3 years, because a transfer is not guaranteed.

36 minutes ago, FirstGear said:

GPA:

• GPA L2 (Jan. 31, 2021): 3.2
  • GPA L2 (Feb. 2021; after release of grades for most recent semester): 3.3
  • GPA B2: 3.8
  • cGPA: 3.4

My first degree was in Math and Economics, where my GPA was much lower. Since then, I've applied half of that to an Accounting degree, where my GPA has been 3.8.

LSAT: not released yet, but anticipating 157-160. Score is released Feb. 3, 2021. I only studied it for about 2 months, so I am confident my scores can rise with re-write(s).

Schools applied to: U of Alberta, U of Calgary.

Studies remaining: 1 last semester (Feb. - May 2021), where I anticipate a 4.0 GPA.

I'm 27 years old and have been in the workforce, and ran a business, for 7 years.

I'm located in in Edmonton, Alberta and have a spouse, and own property here. Because of this, I've been geographically limited to Alberta, hence my school selection. However, it seems unlikely I will be admitted to a school in Alberta given my L2 GPA; the average GPA for admission for previous years has been 3.8; LSAT score 160. Thus I may be forced to relocate.

What other schools should I be looking at, that are still accepting applications for September 2021 admission? Alternatively, what other options do I have?

Apply to TRU & Windsor Dual (if you're willing to shell out the money). TRU's application deadline is coming up (sometime in mid February), so send it as soon as you can. 

Edited by Relentless2017

Sask is your best bet for sure. 3.8 B2 + 157 should get you in. It's my understanding that Sask grads do well in recruiting in Alberta, as well (can't cite a source, just a general impression from being on here for a long time). It's also the closest non-Alberta law school to you, with a short flight, long afternoon's drive, or unpredictable overnight train trip (if that's your sort of thing.) ;)

On the off-chance you're not familiar with Saskatoon, it's a lot like a smaller Edmonton and I don't think you'd have much trouble adjusting! It is literally the same river valley, so I guess you could canoe from  U of A to U of S, too. ;)

-GM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GrumpyMountie said:

Sask is your best bet for sure. 3.8 B2 + 157 should get you in. It's my understanding that Sask grads do well in recruiting in Alberta, as well (can't cite a source, just a general impression from being on here for a long time). It's also the closest non-Alberta law school to you, with a short flight, long afternoon's drive, or unpredictable overnight train trip (if that's your sort of thing.) ;)

On the off-chance you're not familiar with Saskatoon, it's a lot like a smaller Edmonton and I don't think you'd have much trouble adjusting! It is literally the same river valley, so I guess you could canoe from  U of A to U of S, too. ;)

-GM

I've worked in the southwestern Saskatchewan area on onwell drilling projects, and have been through Saskatoon as well.

Just applied to U of Sask just now. I'll be asking them for clarification, but: they ask for transcripts to be emailed. Didn't realize any schools even did this - is this an option? If so, is there an official transcript version specifically for it? Or is a non-official fine?

They also request a "Preliminary Statement of Marks". Haven't heard of this before - is this essentially an unofficial transcript ?

Edited by FirstGear

Won't let me edit my original post - but my B3 GPA (my best 3 years) is 3.6.

Edited by FirstGear

1 hour ago, FirstGear said:

I've worked in the southwestern Saskatchewan area on onwell drilling projects, and have been through Saskatoon as well.

Just applied to U of Sask just now. I'll be asking them for clarification, but: they ask for transcripts to be emailed. Didn't realize any schools even did this - is this an option? If so, is there an official transcript version specifically for it? Or is a non-official fine?

They also request a "Preliminary Statement of Marks". Haven't heard of this before - is this essentially an unofficial transcript ?

I believe the preliminary statement of marks is for people still finishing up their degree. Y'know, send in your fall marks in January and your inter marks in April type of thing.

I would have your university directly email them an official transcript.