734bird

Is UVic your first choice?

Like many others I am sure, I am debating between UBC and UVic. I am leaning towards UVic as I feel it'll be a more positive experience (less competitive and more social). I would love to hear some other people opinions on either why they are leaning towards UVic or another law school over UVic?

• Like 1

UVic is my first choice based off of the type of education I want. I'm hoping to go into Indigenous law and obviously UVic is one of, if not the best in the country for that. I'm also obsessed with Victoria and would way rather live there over Vancouver. 

• Like 3

The smaller campus, smaller entering class of 2021, and a campus that's more integrated with its surroundings in terms of the commute are all nice bonuses of going to vic.

Edited by toastedguac
  • Like 1

No. UBC is my first choice for the simple reason that I can save money by living at home and commuting to Campus. Other than that I'd be happy to go to UVIC or UBC in equal measure. 

On 1/28/2021 at 11:30 PM, 734bird said:

I am leaning towards UVic as I feel it'll be a more positive experience (less competitive and more social).

I don't think a preconceived notion of how students at a school will act should be the deciding factor in where you go. Classes vary widely year by year! I left that out of my decision-making, personally, because the attitude of a group of people is not something you can reasonably predict.

I decided to go with UBC because they had more clinics that appealed to me, and a wider range of upper-year courses. Plus, I want to get a job on the mainland somewhere, and going on multiple long ferry rides for interviews sounds like something I want to avoid lol

• Like 4

I was deciding between UVic & UBC as well and UVic is my first choice (and I've accepted my offer) because I like living in Victoria better than Vancouver. I want to live in Victoria for the foreseeable future (probably the rest of my life too but who knows) so I figured it made more sense to go to UVic for this reason. The slightly cheaper tuition is a bonus too.

Edited by astridlaw

48 minutes ago, astridlaw said:

I was deciding between UVic & UBC as well and UVic is my first choice (and I've accepted my offer) because I like living in Victoria better than Vancouver. I want to live in Victoria for the foreseeable future (probably the rest of my life too but who knows) so I figured it made more sense to go to UVic for this reason. The slightly cheaper tuition is a bonus too.

Basically same for me but in reverse haha. Both seem like great schools!

If I didn't have family in Vancouver might have ended up attending UVIC since I've only heard great things about the city. 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:05 PM, Firecracker said:

I don't think a preconceived notion of how students at a school will act should be the deciding factor in where you go. Classes vary widely year by year! I left that out of my decision-making, personally, because the attitude of a group of people is not something you can reasonably predict.

I decided to go with UBC because they had more clinics that appealed to me, and a wider range of upper-year courses. Plus, I want to get a job on the mainland somewhere, and going on multiple long ferry rides for interviews sounds like something I want to avoid lol

I think that's a totally fair statement to say that every year is different! At the same time, I do think that UVic's reputation as a school that promotes collegiality does mean that the students that attend UVic might factor this into their decision process. For me, the deciding factor really is that I believe UVic is supposed to be more collegial (and I don't think I'm the only one). Thus, I want a collegial education, I will go to UVic. I hope many other students in my class are choosing UVic for the same reason. Also (as a current UVic student), the ferry rides aren't too bad, you can get lots of work done on them - and it will only be a couple times in your last year!

26 minutes ago, 734bird said:

I think that's a totally fair statement to say that every year is different! At the same time, I do think that UVic's reputation as a school that promotes collegiality does mean that the students that attend UVic might factor this into their decision process. For me, the deciding factor really is that I believe UVic is supposed to be more collegial (and I don't think I'm the only one). Thus, I want a collegial education, I will go to UVic. I hope many other students in my class are choosing UVic for the same reason. Also (as a current UVic student), the ferry rides aren't too bad, you can get lots of work done on them - and it will only be a couple times in your last year!

Depends what you consider social, I suppose. UBC is probably the more social school - it has a lot more social events, partially due to proximity to the big firms - we had a few firm-sponsored social events a week pre-COVID, plus social events organized by the social committees, like House Boat, Trike Race, semi-formal, Halloween events etc.

UBC is generally quite collegial, aside from the current news. Obviously there's plenty of good reasons to go to UVic but it would be silly to assume UBC isn't very social/collegial based on the actions of a few individuals. 

Edited by Starling
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Byzantine said:

Basically same for me but in reverse haha. Both seem like great schools!

If I didn't have family in Vancouver might have ended up attending UVIC since I've only heard great things about the city. 

This is a big factor! My parents live just outside Victoria and need support from me so that contributes to me wanting to stay here for sure. Victoria is an amazing city if you ever want to move somewhere smaller but still feel like you live in a proper city. The island is just amazing too for many reasons. 

• Like 1

I anyone considering moving to Victoria from out of province? I'm currently in Edmonton AB and the idea of moving west is super appealing to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candleholder3 said:

I anyone considering moving to Victoria from out of province? I'm currently in Edmonton AB and the idea of moving west is super appealing to me. 

Yep, I'm in the same boat with moving from Edmonton. 1st step is the 12 hour drive to get my car and pets over there. 

15 minutes ago, Naj said:

Yep, I'm in the same boat with moving from Edmonton. 1st step is the 12 hour drive to get my car and pets over there. 

Two drivers would be ideal. You have to add on the ferry ride as well 

1 hour ago, Naj said:

51 minutes ago, toastedguac said:

Two drivers would be ideal. You have to add on the ferry ride as well 

Yes! Don't forget the ferry ride. I'm glad to hear that there's other people leaving this frozen land for the island. 

I did the drive back in September and it just got more and more beautiful the further I was from Edmonton. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Candleholder3 said:

Yes! Don't forget the ferry ride. I'm glad to hear that there's other people leaving this frozen land for the island. 

I did the drive back in September and it just got more and more beautiful the further I was from Edmonton. 

Honestly yeah. YEG is home but every time I make that trip down the interior to Vancouver I never want to leave. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Candleholder3 said:

7 hours ago, Naj said:

I'm also considering going to UVic from Edmonton! Did you guys apply this cycle?

13 hours ago, peachesnbees said:

I'm also considering going to UVic from Edmonton! Did you guys apply this cycle?

Yes and I was accepted! I haven't heard anything back from UofA (my other application). Might not have a choice but to go to UVic..

Current student here! I only applied to UVic and UBC, and I was waitlisted for both. I wanted UBC so I could live closer to home, but was only admitted to UVic and I'm SO THANKFUL that's the case. I love some of my UBC law friends, but I couldn't imagine a better experience than UVic for law school!!! 

• Like 4