Have a good 1-2 min narrative for the “why law” or “tell me about yourself” questions. Most of your interviews will start with that and then turn into a natural conversation based on things you’ve said. Aside from crown interviews, they’re mostly all conversational. In general, prep short and effective answers for why x firm, why x area of law, why a big/small firm, etc. Think of some cool anecdotes from some extracurriculars or past jobs in case they come up.

Have some questions prepped for your interviewers. It’s not uncommon for half your interview with a partner or associate to be made up of you asking them questions about their experiences and the firm instead of the other way around. This is probably more true for in firms than it is for OCIs. Try to make any questions you ask authentic. You don’t have to comment on recent cases they have worked on. You can ask them how they picked their practice area, what their favourite things about the firm are, and other questions like that. I find those are most natural and people like to answer them. 

• Like 4

Don’t be surprised if a lot of firms ask about the interest section of your resume. Some interviewers ask more about it than others but questions about your interests consistently come up.

• Like 2

Just be a normal human being, rather than trying to look for a script to be a robot. 

3 hours ago, torontolawstudent123 said:

Hi guys. Nervous for upcoming OCIs, and was wondering if you guys have any advice for me. What kind of questions should I expect? Good ways to prep? Thanks! 

Also: any advice for OCIs with MAG? 

2 hours ago, Starling said:

I don't think you need to over-prep or practice answers to questions. But here is a list of questions the CSO gave us, supplemented with questions my friends and I were asked, just so you have an idea of what the interviews are like. 

This is just for Big Firm OCIs. I don't know anything about gov/crim etc.

Law School Questions

• Why did you attend law school?
  • Why did you choose [Your school]?
  •  Do you think your grades are a good indicator of your potential as a lawyer?  
  • Do you like [your school]?
  • What were your favourite (or least favourite) courses in law school? Why?
  • What experience do you have in [X] law? (i.e. administrative law, poverty law, business law, family law)
  •  What was your most rewarding legal or academic experience?
  • What have you learned from participating in moot court / clinical program / committees?  
  •  What do you like about working on X committee, etc.?
  •  What type of things did you do at [legal clinic/volunteering] etc.?  
  • Can you explain your bad grade(s)?

Resume Questions

• Walk me through your resume. 
  •  How do you feel your prior work experience will help you in your articling/summer job? 
  •  Is there anything you would like to tell us that wasn’t covered in this interview or isn’t on your resume? What accomplishments are you particularly proud of? Why? 
  •  What was your favourite / worst job? Why?
  • What is the weirdest job you have ever had?
  • How would your previous manager describe you? 
  • Why did you leave X job? 
  • What were your responsibilities at Job Y?
  • What did you like best about Job A?

About You Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
  • What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?  
  • Why should we hire you? What qualities do you feel you possess that will help you in your work as a lawyer? What are the qualifications that will make you a successful lawyer? 
  •  How do you deal with stress, tension, and boredom? How do you motivate yourself? 
  •  How do you set priorities for your own time?  
  • Describe your work habits. Do you like working alone or in groups? In what kind of environment are you most comfortable?  
  •  If you could be anything other than a lawyer, what would it be and why?  
  • ·Give me an example of a time you overcame adversity.
  •  What is your biggest accomplishment? 

Commitment/"Resiliency" 

• Where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years?  
  •  What are your goals for the future?  
  • What strengths do you bring to the position and what challenges do you see? 
  • Do you enjoy public speaking?   
  •  What is the hardest thing you have ever gone through?  
  • If your friends, family, or colleagues were to use 3 adjectives to describe you what would they be? Do you agree? 
  • How would you attempt to sort out priorities when faced with competing and incompatible demands from partners? 
  •  How would you handle working for people younger than you (a typical question to a mature student)? 
  • What would you do if a client asked you a question to which you don't know the answer? 
  • I see you went to school in Toronto. Are you planning to stay in Vancouver/Calgary long-term? Do you have ties here? 

Interests/Random 

• So I see from your resume you’re a competitive cupcake baker. Tell me a bit about that.
  • I see you volunteered at Charity Y prior to law school. Can you tell me a bit about your organization and your involvement with it?
  • What do your parents do?
  • Is anyone in your family a lawyer?
  • I see you had a paper published in undergrad. Tell me about that.
  • Have you conducted interviews before? What question gave you the most insightful answers, and please answer this question?
  • I see you completed the Boston Marathon. Tell me about that. 

Why Us? 

• Why are you interested in our firm?
  • Why are you interested in securities/employment/real estates?
  • I see you do not have a background in finance. What makes you interested in M&A? Are you comfortable reading financial statements?
  • Do you have any questions about the firm? (Everyone ALWAYS asks)

Bless your kind soul.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrevorPhilips said:

Bless your kind soul.

Happy to help 🥰

3 hours ago, Starling said:

I don't think you need to over-prep or practice answers to questions. But here is a list of questions the CSO gave us, supplemented with questions my friends and I were asked, just so you have an idea of what the interviews are like. 

This is just for Big Firm OCIs. I don't know anything about gov/crim etc.

Law School Questions

• Why did you attend law school?
  • Why did you choose [Your school]?
  •  Do you think your grades are a good indicator of your potential as a lawyer?  
  • Do you like [your school]?
  • What were your favourite (or least favourite) courses in law school? Why?
  • What experience do you have in [X] law? (i.e. administrative law, poverty law, business law, family law)
  •  What was your most rewarding legal or academic experience?
  • What have you learned from participating in moot court / clinical program / committees?  
  •  What do you like about working on X committee, etc.?
  •  What type of things did you do at [legal clinic/volunteering] etc.?  
  • Can you explain your bad grade(s)?

Resume Questions

• Walk me through your resume. 
  •  How do you feel your prior work experience will help you in your articling/summer job? 
  •  Is there anything you would like to tell us that wasn’t covered in this interview or isn’t on your resume? What accomplishments are you particularly proud of? Why? 
  •  What was your favourite / worst job? Why?
  • What is the weirdest job you have ever had?
  • How would your previous manager describe you? 
  • Why did you leave X job? 
  • What were your responsibilities at Job Y?
  • What did you like best about Job A?

About You Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
  • What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?  
  • Why should we hire you? What qualities do you feel you possess that will help you in your work as a lawyer? What are the qualifications that will make you a successful lawyer? 
  •  How do you deal with stress, tension, and boredom? How do you motivate yourself? 
  •  How do you set priorities for your own time?  
  • Describe your work habits. Do you like working alone or in groups? In what kind of environment are you most comfortable?  
  •  If you could be anything other than a lawyer, what would it be and why?  
  • ·Give me an example of a time you overcame adversity.
  •  What is your biggest accomplishment? 

Commitment/"Resiliency" 

• Where do you see yourself in 5 to 10 years?  
  •  What are your goals for the future?  
  • What strengths do you bring to the position and what challenges do you see? 
  • Do you enjoy public speaking?   
  •  What is the hardest thing you have ever gone through?  
  • If your friends, family, or colleagues were to use 3 adjectives to describe you what would they be? Do you agree? 
  • How would you attempt to sort out priorities when faced with competing and incompatible demands from partners? 
  •  How would you handle working for people younger than you (a typical question to a mature student)? 
  • What would you do if a client asked you a question to which you don't know the answer? 
  • I see you went to school in Toronto. Are you planning to stay in Vancouver/Calgary long-term? Do you have ties here? 

Interests/Random 

• So I see from your resume you’re a competitive cupcake baker. Tell me a bit about that.
  • I see you volunteered at Charity Y prior to law school. Can you tell me a bit about your organization and your involvement with it?
  • What do your parents do?
  • Is anyone in your family a lawyer?
  • I see you had a paper published in undergrad. Tell me about that.
  • Have you conducted interviews before? What question gave you the most insightful answers, and please answer this question?
  • I see you completed the Boston Marathon. Tell me about that. 

Why Us? 

• Why are you interested in our firm?
  • Why are you interested in securities/employment/real estates?
  • I see you do not have a background in finance. What makes you interested in M&A? Are you comfortable reading financial statements?
  • Do you have any questions about the firm? (Everyone ALWAYS asks)

Thank yooou!! Seems pretty straight forward then!