cheesecakes

Article about Incident at Allard in UBC Student Newspaper

4 minutes ago, toastedguac said:

Uvic looking a lot more collegial atm

I can't be the only one feeling bothered by this. Of course I think that it's important to follow the health guidelines, but this whole affair just seems vindictive on the part of the people who went through the effort of compiling the spreadsheet. The article even states that several 1Ls were involved specifically "with the aim of disrupting of 2L recruitment" (so don't even try to claim that this was about concern for public health or whatnot). 

• Like 4

Nanananananaa.... not Batman...

On a more serious note, this demonstrates a staggering lack of judgment along with the poor moral character they are ostensibly opposing. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cheesecakes said:

I can't be the only one feeling bothered by this. Of course I think that it's important to follow the health guidelines, but this whole affair just seems vindictive on the part of the people who went through the effort of compiling the spreadsheet. The article even states that several 1Ls were involved specifically "with the aim of disrupting of 2L recruitment" (so don't even try to claim that this was about concern for public health or whatnot). 

It "seems vindictive" because it is. The feigned self-righteous aspect of it is pretty rich when combined with the underhanded scuminess and opportunism (at least for the 2Ls involved; no idea what would be motivating the 1Ls).

Poor CSO; they should have the privilege of helping start the careers of the future leaders of Canada, instead they are babysitting a bunch of infantile jackasses.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

It "seems vindictive" because it is. The feigned self-righteous aspect of it is pretty rich when combined with the underhanded scuminess and opportunism (at least for the 2Ls involved; no idea what would be motivating the 1Ls).

Poor CSO; they should have the privilege of helping start the careers of the future leaders of Canada, instead they are babysitting a bunch of infantile jackasses.

Lol you're at Allard rn, right? Just to get a general idea of how big of a scale this thing was operating on, did this incident involve only a few "jackasses" or was this like a massive operation going on with half of the 2Ls (and some 1Ls) pettily trying to screw over their peers' careers?

Also, what's the general attitude of people at Allard like towards what happened? I shudder at the possibility that a majority of the class could be okay with this backstabbing behavior (and even defend it)...

Is this considered normal at Allard!?

Edited by cheesecakes

I'm pretty happy to be a 3L with articles lined up and I feel bad for the lower years at Allard right now who had nothing to do with this. It will be very unfortunate if this attracts more attention and in the eyes of recruiters hiring from the UBC candidate pool would look like Russian roulette with shit-disturbers in the barrel...

4 minutes ago, cheesecakes said:

No. I'm a 3L and most of us are shocked and horrified. It's unclear who is involved but the 1Ls and 2Ls I've talked to are also shocked and horrified.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheesecakes said:

Lol you're at Allard rn, right? Just to get a general idea of how big of a scale this thing was operating on, did this incident involve only a few "jackasses" or was this like a massive operation going on with half of the 2Ls (and some 1Ls) pettily trying to screw over their peers' careers?

Also, what's the general attitude of people at Allard like towards what happened? I shudder at the possibility that a majority of the class could be okay with this backstabbing behavior (and even defend it)...

I am at Allard but sorry I really don't know anything more about this than you.

I can speak to the attitude of 3Ls at least (or at least the type of them that would willingly associate with me); every single friend at school I've discussed this with was equal parts amused and shaking their heads at this. Like I said though, we are distanced from it both in terms of involvement and impact (professionally and socially). There are some Allard 2Ls on this forum that I'm sure will chime in here and give a better sense of what it's like on the front lines.

• Like 2

My understanding is that it was initially thought to be 2Ls, but CSO sent an update saying it was actually 1Ls involved / responsible. I'm sorry for whoever ends up being on a team with personalities like these one day. There's nothing wrong with being frustrated by the lack of health order compliance, but trying to sabotage your peers like this is just low. Big yikes.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cheesecakes said:

The pass/fail debacle in spring 2020 got pretty bad at one point between certain students, but I don't think it came close to this blatant undermining of other students. Who could have thought this was a good idea -- I have no idea.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, thebadwife said:

trying to sabotage your peers like this is just low.

It would be pretty ironic if this blew up and got more attention and the person or persons responsible for the spreadsheet ended up being the one(s) named and shamed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Speaking as defence counsel, I can 100% confirm that every student responsible for generating this document will end up as a Crown.

You heard it here first.

Snitches get stiches.

Not to add more fuel to the fire but the Ubyssey Facebook page posted this article and there's a literal prof (he teaches anthropology and sociology) in the comment section expressing his sympathy for the students who made the spreadsheet... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cheesecakes said:

Not to add more fuel to the fire but the Ubyssey Facebook page posted this article and there's a literal prof (he teaches anthropology and sociology) in the comment section expressing his sympathy for the students who made the spreadsheet... 

Well, if he teaches in an entirely unrelated subject area, he MUST have an authoritative view on the matter. I mean, he's a PROF!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cheesecakes said:

There's also a comment from "UBC Hentai Club," which I was happy to be previously unaware of.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

50 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

It would be pretty ironic if this blew up and got more attention and the person or persons responsible for the spreadsheet ended up being the one(s) named and shamed.

Almost wish this would happen to clear the names of the people NOT involved if this impacts the reputation of the Allard community as a whole

It's certainly... interesting to note how UBC profs and faculty members seem to be rallying in support of the snitch coalition. Yikes.

I don't know about them, but when I hear about a group of students obsessively compiling dirt on their classmates and trying to snobbishly take the moral high ground (whilst really doing this to knock out their competition during 2L recruitment), I get a slimy, nasty feeling. How can these guys unironically support mob so-called justice? Lol.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, cheesecakes said:

It's certainly... interesting to note how UBC profs and faculty members seem to be rallying in support of the snitch coalition. Yikes.

I don't know about them, but when I hear about a group of students obsessively compiling dirt on their classmates and trying to snobbishly take the moral high ground (whilst really doing this to knock out their competition during 2L recruitment), I get a slimy, nasty feeling. How can these guys unironically support mob so-called justice? Lol.

yeaaaaa I think there's a difference between expressing your concerns to an appropriate authority about these violations to see if a solution can be found internally versus jumping straight to anonymously gathering information off social media to send to employers in an attempt to screw someone's chances of finding a summer job. The above tweets seem to ignore the problematic nature of the method and underlying motivations of the snitching.

• Like 9