daniellemree

Does U of C take into account being waitlisted previously?

I applied to U of C last year as a fourth year student- my stats were a 3.5 L2 GPA and 158 LSAT. I was waitlisted and then rejected in September. I applied again this year with the same LSAT score but with a GPA of 3.8. From what I've seen in the acceptances thread so far, my LSAT is very much below average this year. Does U of C take into account being previously waitlisted or is it irrelevant?  I am also a U of C grad, don't know if that makes a difference either. 

I don't have an answer for your main question, but I wanted to address this:

2 minutes ago, daniellemree said:

From what I've seen in the acceptances thread so far, my LSAT is very much below average this year.

Acceptance threads on this website are not representative of reality. Only a very small percentage of law applicants even use this website, making the sample size useless. Also, you never know if people are being entirely truthful when sharing their stats.

Also also, of course the first people to be accepted will be the ones with the highest GPA and LSAT. These are the applicants who were effectively auto-admitted because their stats were well above the median. These are not the "average", they're the top percentile. 

Also also also, stop comparing yourself to people on acceptance threads for all the reasons stated above. 

• Like 1

Adding to Canuckfanatic's also, there's a big chunk of applicants who are either on their third year or wrote the Jan LSAT who probably have not even been looked at, at all. So I agree what you see on the accepted threads is hardly representative IMO.

• Like 1

My understanding is Calgary sorts their applicants by stats but not necessarily base their decision on stats only, I'd say the fact you improved your GPA likely will get you at least considered again. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I don't have an answer for your main question, but I wanted to address this:

Acceptance threads on this website are not representative of reality. Only a very small percentage of law applicants even use this website, making the sample size useless. Also, you never know if people are being entirely truthful when sharing their stats.

Also also, of course the first people to be accepted will be the ones with the highest GPA and LSAT. These are the applicants who were effectively auto-admitted because their stats were well above the median. These are not the "average", they're the top percentile. 

Also also also, stop comparing yourself to people on acceptance threads for all the reasons stated above. 

1 minute ago, NeverTooLate said:

Adding to Canuckfanatic's also, there's a big chunk of applicants who are either on their third year or wrote the Jan LSAT who probably have not even been looked at, at all. So I agree what you see on the accepted threads is hardly representative IMO.

Very true. It isn't a good use of my time to be trying to figure out averages when the information here isn't representative of the entire sample at all. U of C is just my top choice so seeing the acceptance thread become so active all of a sudden was intimidating. 

4 minutes ago, daniellemree said:

Very true. It isn't a good use of my time to be trying to figure out averages when the information here isn't representative of the entire sample at all. U of C is just my top choice so seeing the acceptance thread become so active all of a sudden was intimidating. 

I listened to part of an information session as I previously applied I think 5 years ago and was unsuccessful but reapplied this year with a drastically different GPA.. apparently if you have had a file previously they do check to make sure your the same person etc as I believe it gets flagged I am not sure of the exact process but since you showed improvement that is a good thing I've also noticed alot of people just finishing school applying but more experience and time can also be a good factor U of C look at applications holistically so I wouldn't worry too much. Hope this helps... it is still early in the process. 

The outcome of a previous application - whether you received an offer, waitlist, or regrets - is not taken into consideration when assessing a reapplication. We don't even tell assessors what the previous outcome was. Any comparisons made are with the actual content of the applications themselves.

It is still very much still early days, so hang in there! We are working as hard as we can to get all of the applications assessed and decisions sent out by the end of June.

Cheers!

Malina

• Like 2