anc1991

Rejected [McGill 2021]

On 2/19/2021 at 11:41 AM, LolaPillon said:

Just by curiousity haha, what made you not expect to get in ?

I just felt like all my stuff was too average. My ECs were good but nothing spectacular, I had one strong LOR and one that probably wasn't as strong and my GPA wasn't as high as I (or McGill) would have liked. I applied hoping the holistic process would work in my favour but it did not.

1 hour ago, shaner said:

I just felt like all my stuff was too average. My ECs were good but nothing spectacular, I had one strong LOR and one that probably wasn't as strong and my GPA wasn't as high as I (or McGill) would have liked. I applied hoping the holistic process would work in my favour but it did not.

did you write the lsat?

41 minutes ago, nocturnalrelativism said:

did you write the lsat?

Yes I did, I got 165.

Just got the update on Minerva.

LSAT: 166 (average = 163)

GPA: 3.8 (I'm from Alberta)

I had pretty strong ECs in my opinion, but I think my French interview went poorly and that's probably a big reason I didn't get in. Not super bummed because I would've declined either way! Good luck to everyone else waiting for their results!

• Like 3

Got the email just now that my Minerva had been updated.

LSAT: 162

CGPA: 3.76

A little surprised as I had good EC's and strong LORs. 

• Sad 5

39 minutes ago, MrBoogie said:

Got the email just now that my Minerva had been updated.

LSAT: 162

CGPA: 3.76

A little surprised as I had good EC's and strong LORs. 

Sorry to hear that, your stats are competitive! If you don't mind me asking how would you rate your french ?

1 hour ago, m141312 said:

Sorry to hear that, your stats are competitive! If you don't mind me asking how would you rate your french ?

I am bilingual but I bet I could have spoken more about it in my application. I only mentioned it briefly at the end of my PS and it was on my CV.

• Thanks 1

Status changed to « Refused » on Minerva. 

Mature applicant, Québec resident. Native french speaker.No LSAT. No interview. 3.85/4.3. In my opinion, my PS was good (in french). LORs good. Poor ECs (nothing academic) and it would have been hard, maybe impossible, to complete my degree this summer because of COVID-19. Sure that didn't help me.

I'm okay with it. I got in somewhere else and this was a long shot.

Good luck to all still RFR.

• Sad 2

Hi all! I applied to McGill Faculty of Law early fall, as the time passed and we all realized how tough this cycle was, I decided in February to also apply to the Max Bell MPP program at McGill, as I realized it could be better suited for me and more affordable. Anyways, shortly after I applied for the MPP, I was refused to McGill just a few weeks ago. I did not think that it was because of other application, but now I am worried that this decision means I won't have a shot at either program. I had assumed that the admission processes were completely separate. I was wondering is anyone could provide insight on this? Should I be expecting another rejection from the MPP program soon? Thank you!

7 minutes ago, elizabethecd said:

Hi all! I applied to McGill Faculty of Law early fall, as the time passed and we all realized how tough this cycle was, I decided in February to also apply to the Max Bell MPP program at McGill, as I realized it could be better suited for me and more affordable. Anyways, shortly after I applied for the MPP, I was refused to McGill just a few weeks ago. I did not think that it was because of other application, but now I am worried that this decision means I won't have a shot at either program. I had assumed that the admission processes were completely separate. I was wondering is anyone could provide insight on this? Should I be expecting another rejection from the MPP program soon? Thank you!

hey! I also applied to the MPP. I haven’t heard back from either, but since they’re different faculties I highly doubt one decision impacts another. Hope this helps and feel free to dm me!

Got the email today. Mature student, strong ECs (10 years of Canadian Armed Forces experience), great LORs, 3.04 GPA, 173 LSAT. Can't say it doesn't sting, but those are the breaks.

• Sad 5

MPP is not the law faculty. They're different admissions criteria and a rejection from one doesn't mean an auto reject from the other. 

My understanding of the MPP is that it's fairly competitive. It's also 30k, which is much more expensive than the law degree.

Rejected a few days ago. Not very surprising as I wasn’t expecting to get in. 

stats 

international applicant who did undergrad at McGill

LSAT: 170 (97th percentile)

GPA: ~3.45 (I took some courses at a different uni that graded on a 4.3 scale so I’m not sure how Mcgill would calculate my overall GPA)

B2 level french

strong ECs and PS (imo)

honeslty not sure about my rec letters as the one prof who knew me best and was going to write my letter had some personal things going on that made him unable to so I had to panic find another prof 3 days before the application deadline lol

Good luck to everyone

Oh also in my rejection letter they basically said “your application was good but we had applicants who were better” so take my stats into account I guess if you are trying to figure out your chanches?

23 hours ago, Twagz said:

Oh also in my rejection letter they basically said “your application was good but we had applicants who were better” so take my stats into account I guess if you are trying to figure out your chanches?

Yea for me they said they weren’t convinced by my French LOOL. Oh well.

1 hour ago, sadisticsad said:

Yea for me they said they weren’t convinced by my French LOOL. Oh well.

Did you have an interview? 

1 hour ago, legaldreams said:

Did you have an interview? 

I did! To be fair though, it was very stressful and I definitely didn't do great by any means.

22 minutes ago, sadisticsad said:

I did! To be fair though, it was very stressful and I definitely didn't do great by any means.

I'm sorry to hear that!! I'm sure you will end up somewhere great. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you think you did great?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, legaldreams said:

I'm sorry to hear that!! I'm sure you will end up somewhere great. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you think you did great?

No worries!! I’m going to Uvic so it’s all good :). As an Alberta student, I don’t really get much French practice, and I really did not understand 2 of the questions because of the language and they refused to reword the question so I could understand. Honestly it was a bit disheartening because the interviewer was kind of rude and really made me feel extremely stupid. I had a pretty negative experience with it and it really turned me off to the idea of attending. That was just my experience, but I know it’s a great school and I hope you get in!!

• Like 1

Rejected just now (checked my portal and it said Refused) - kind of hurts but I knew it was a super competitive cycle so it is what it is !

CGPA : OLSAS scale 3.76, B2 3.86 (still have 1 semester left and likely to increase)

LSAT : None

ECs: pretty strong IMO (club president, international and public sector work experience, etc.,)

Fluent in French (did undergrad in french and english)

Best of luck to the rest of you, I will be back in 2022 😎

• Like 4
  • Sad 5