anc1991

Rejected [McGill 2021]

3 minutes ago, IlMagnifico said:

Off, that's scarily close to my stats, how was your French?

It’s great. I speak French at work (noted on cv) took bunch of uni French classes. 

Edited by polilegal

4 minutes ago, polilegal said:

It’s great. I speak French at work (noted on cv) took bunch of uni French classes. 

Ooooof, that's quite scary.

GPA was calculated via OLSAS or McGill (i.e. 90% is a 4, vs 85% is a 4)?

Thanks btw, helping me figure out how much I need to put into these masters apps...

37 minutes ago, McGillObama said:

Yes I was referring to a GPA+LSAT approach. It's not necessarily a show of intelligence, but one of commitment. Hard work should pay off. The holistic approach also has unclear criteria. Just my two 

Agree completely. 

I love MTL and I legitimately wanted to attend but at this point I'm indifferent as to whether I get in or not given that the school has an Adcomm that operates as though it can infer enough from a resume and a 2-3 page statement to not only supplement analysis of, but in many cases completely override, years of academic performance and all that goes into LSAT results. 

Edited by bigtruss
removed some personal info
  • Like 1

honestly i feel like i can infer a lot just from this one forum post of yours

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, lolschool said:

honestly i feel like i can infer a lot just from this one forum post of yours

infer what you want mate i reaalllyy don't care 😂

• Like 2

Just got the email, rejected with a 3.58 CGPA and a 165 LSAT. I wasn't expecting to get in but I definitely didn't expect to get rejected this soon!

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, bigtruss said:

Agree completely. 

I love MTL and I legitimately wanted to attend but at this point I'm indifferent as to whether I get in or not given that the school has an Adcomm that operates as though it can infer enough from a resume and a 2-3 page statement to not only supplement analysis of, but in many cases completely override, years of academic performance and all that goes into LSAT results. 

You're applying to the school. You know the criteria. While McGill is holistic, the median gpa and LSAT are both still very competitive. I get that rejection sucks but complaining about the criteria will get you no where.

re: pure numbers vs whole package. How the heck do you think grad school applications go? Job interviews? All of that is gleaned with a cover letter and a short research statement. Add in references from people that know you and there it is.

I can create a new thread if y'all want to continue to ponder whether McGill's system is fair or not.

• Like 7

With regards to those people who think the admission process is unfair due to the holistic admissions process: It's never a bad idea to put in a significant amount of effort in your application materials and to demonstrate your life outside school work. Showing law schools that you aren't dedicating 200% of your life to studying and that you are actively engaged with the community is really, really important. Putting effort into your application materials (ie. personal statement) also shows that you really care about the school and are taking the application process very, very seriously. They want to see who you are as a person, not only what your numbers are. This applies to any other school that puts strong emphasis on ECs/work experience/personal statement. 

Still, despite what I have said above, I am kinda shocked to see that students with those kinds of numbers got rejected off the bat. Getting 170+ on the LSAT while having a stellar GPA is no easy feat and academic commitment is something that is still highly valued. There has to be more to the story. 

Edited by RunItDownMid
  • Like 12

17 minutes ago, artsydork said:

You're applying to the school. You know the criteria. While McGill is holistic, the median gpa and LSAT are both still very competitive. I get that rejection sucks but complaining about the criteria will get you no where.

re: pure numbers vs whole package. How the heck do you think grad school applications go? Job interviews? All of that is gleaned with a cover letter and a short research statement. Add in references from people that know you and there it is.

I can create a new thread if y'all want to continue to ponder whether McGill's system is fair or not.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but for me this has nothing to do with rejection sucking.

The GPA and LSAT medians are competitive relative to other Canadian law schools at large, they are not competitive relative to the top law schools in North America (they're similar to U of Alabama and Arizona State in the US for example). 

The things I take issue with are the degree to which 'soft' factors are weighed relative to stats in McGill's evaluation, and the lack of transparency over that degree to which they matter. For McGill to suggest that good stats are necessary but not sufficient (which doesn't even hold true in some outlier cases) isn't very helpful. 

e.g. U of T will tell you that 2/3 of their evaluation of the merits of your application is judged on the basis of GPA and LSAT with a slight skew towards GPA and the other 1/3 is based on 'soft' factors. McGill gives you nothing similar.

I have a degree from one of the world's top grad schools and have been through some really tough interviews at well known companies, my experiences there never left me feeling like I didn't know where I fell short (which I did numerous times), didn't know where I excelled, and didn't know how to improve for the next go around. 

I appreciate your offer to create a new thread, if others have more to say I think it could be interesting but I'm at peace with this and appreciate the chance to give my two cents, thank you!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RunItDownMid said:

With regards to those people who think the admission process is unfair due to the holistic admissions process: It's never a bad idea to put in a significant amount of effort in your application materials and to demonstrate your life outside school work. Showing law schools that you aren't dedicating 200% of your life to studying and that you are actively engaged with the community is really, really important. Putting effort into your application materials (ie. personal statement) also shows that you really care about the school and are taking the application process very, very seriously. They want to see who you are as a person, not only what your numbers are. This applies to any other school that puts strong emphasis on ECs/work experience/personal statement. 

Still, despite what I have said above, I am kinda shocked to see that students with those kinds of numbers got rejected off the bat. Getting 170+ on the LSAT while having a stellar GPA is no easy feat and academic commitment is something that is still highly valued. There has to be more to the story. 

well said!

7 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Agree with artsydork. 

Yield protection is not a thing at Canadian law schools. To speculate that that is a reason for someone not being admitted is not only silly and unhelpful, it's not factual. 

7 hours ago, artsydork said:

It's not yield protection. McGill routinely has people with high stats accepted. Stop the fake news. McGill has all their admission criteria online. Numbers alone won't get a person in. 

People apply to other schools. McGill doesn't give AF if you've applied elsewhere. It's normal to apply to multiple schools.

Sorry about that, was not aware that yield protection is not practiced in Canada. 

haven't received any emails but its on Minerva. I just checked thinking I was gonna see "Ready for Review" but I was hit with "Refused". it do be what it do be. 3.8/168 

Edited by TangibleShepherd
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 8

20 minutes ago, TangibleShepherd said:

haven't received any emails but its on Minerva. I just checked thinking I was gonna see "Ready for Review" but I was hit with "Refused". it do be what it do be. 3.8/168 

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that... your stats are great so this one is nerve-wracking. You will get in somewhere else great! If you don't mind, could you please elaborate about your French experience and your ECs? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, legaldreams said:

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that... your stats are great so this one is nerve-wracking. You will get in somewhere else great! If you don't mind, could you please elaborate about your French experience and your ECs? 

thanks! My background is in STEM with a lot of hands-on research experience (internships/research courses/presentations). My ECs are mostly public-speaking type things (think debating/model UN), with some other clubs and volunteering thrown in. I'm not fluent in French but I think if I got to the interview stage I'd be able to answer their questions just fine (but I guess we'll never know for sure lol!)

1 minute ago, TangibleShepherd said:

thanks! My background is in STEM with a lot of hands-on research experience (internships/research courses/presentations). My ECs are mostly public-speaking type things (think debating/model UN), with some other clubs and volunteering thrown in. I'm not fluent in French but I think if I got to the interview stage I'd be able to answer their questions just fine (but I guess we'll never know for sure lol!)

thanks for answering :) wow, double sorry to hear that-- your softs seem strong as well. this year is an extra tough year for admissions, i hope everything works out for you!

• Like 2

Refused Today, got email about a final decision, refused in portal. 

163 avg /3.95(OLSAS)

Edited by CarletonChonkers
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CarletonChonkers said:

Refused Today, got email about a final decision, refused in portal. 

163 avg /3.95(OLSAS)

That's an incredible average... 

Did they give you any sense as to why?

17 hours ago, IlMagnifico said:

That's an incredible average... 

Did they give you any sense as to why?

Thank you. No idea to be honest but I'm not disappointed. My ECs are fine I think but nothing exceptional.

Most likely would not have accepted but I'm glad the decision was made for me. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, shaner said:

Just got the email, rejected with a 3.58 CGPA and a 165 LSAT. I wasn't expecting to get in but I definitely didn't expect to get rejected this soon!

Just by curiousity haha, what made you not expect to get in ?