mattk97

Provisional Acceptance Help

Hey everyone!

Was hoping to get some insight on how to go about provisionally accepting an offer without shutting the door on any further opportunities.

I currently have an offer of admission from both Lakehead University and the University of New Brunswick. The offers expire April 1st and March 1st respectively. 

I am still waiting on responses from all other Ontario schools. Would accepting either offer of admission (or both) remove me from consideration for a spot at the remaining schools?

For example if I accept the Lakehead offer in OUAC before April 1 is this a provisional acceptance? And would Ontario schools stop considering me if I accepted the offer at UNB while I wait for other possible offers?

Thank you for your help!

You have until April 1 to accept an offer provisionally in Ontario. If you have other decisions outstanding, there would be no reason to do that now. Wait and see what else comes in in the next two months and then make your decision. It's always best to be thinking about what your ideal decision would be but you don't have to make the actual decision now. As for making a provisional acceptance,  or accepting UNB, no, it won't affect other Ontario school's decisions.  Students seem to worry about this every year but I've never seen any evidence that this actually happens.

You ask about accepting both. Why would you do that? That makes little sense and really is not something that should be done. If by March 1, you still don't have other ON schools' decisions,  and UNB is higher on your list than Lakehead, then you could accept the UNB offer and pay the deposit. You would then have a month to make the decision as to whether to accept Lakehead provisionally and await other ON decisions, if that's your preference. At that time, though, you should cancel your UNB acceptance. 

• Like 2

From what @erinl2 has explained to me before, April 1st is the deadline to tell a school "hey, I might be coming here" so they can get an idea of how many more offers to send out to fill up the class. Any other offers you got from other schools before April 1st become dead at that point, but any offers that come between April 1st and July 1st are still fair game. If you get another offer you like better in that time, you can switch and accept the new offer but the old offer becomes dead. July 1st is the day when you tell the school you accepted "hey, I'm definitely coming here" so they know to prepare for you in the fall. 

Just another question, though - is it possible that if you wait too long to provisionally accept anywhere (ie. too close to the April 1st deadline), that the class will fill to capacity and you'll be shut out despite having an offer? 

• Like 1

Just another question, though - is it possible that if you wait too long to provisionally accept anywhere (ie. too close to the April 1st deadline), that the class will fill to capacity and you'll be shut out despite having an offer?

No. If the deadline to accept an offer is April 1st, you have until that day to accept.

• Like 1

So to confirm, if you have a single offer on April 1st your choices are either to accept that offer and not receive any other potential offers from other schools. 

Or to decline that offer and hope another accepntacne comes through? 

Meaning that April 1st is the day you must decide on a school? 

2 hours ago, SadNWO said:

So to confirm, if you have a single offer on April 1st your choices are either to accept that offer and not receive any other potential offers from other schools. 

For Ontario schools, yes. 

Edited to say that I misunderstood you. Sorry about that. You may provisionally accept that offer but if you have already received other offers from ON schools, the others will then be gone. However, you may wait for any other decisions from ON schools that have not yet come in. On July 1st, your provisional acceptance automatically becomes firm.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

No, if you have a single offer by April 1st you can provisionally accept that offer and indicate that you still wish to be considered by other schools that you haven't heard from yet.

April 1st is the day by which you must decide which offer you wish to provisionally accept. This is an easy decision if you only have one offer before April 1st... perhaps not as much if you have multiple. (note that this is for ON schools only)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SadNWO said:

If you have more than one offer from Ontario schools, then select one offer  and PROVISONALLY ACCEPT that offer. You are still eligible to receive offers from other Ontario schools.

Make sure you do not "firm accept" that offer if you are still waiting for other offers from any Ontario schools.

There are no restrictions on accepting any schools outside Ontario and it will have no impact. you can accept the UNB offer and decline it afterwards. However, you may be asked to make some deposits. 

• Like 1