Sign in to follow this  
krnprykt

Typo in resume

Hi,

I just realized that there is typo in my resume: "under privileged" instead of underprivileged.

How bad is it? Is there anything I should (can) do at this point?

• Like 1

Trying to do something about it is definitely worse than just letting it be. It happens. Try not to dwell on it. They might not even notice.

• Like 1

Every single one of my resumes that I sent out in the articling recruit had my jobs blindingly obviously out of chronological order. If anyone cared about little things like that, I wouldn't have been extended 28 interview offers. There are big errors that matter - I sent an in-house insurance department a cover letter that discussed how I loved insurance law, just not the kind they practice 😆 - but yours isn't one of them. As long as your whole application is attractive, you'll get interviews.

Good luck!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, FortifiedEight said:

Every single one of my resumes that I sent out in the articling recruit had my jobs blindingly obviously out of chronological order. If anyone cared about little things like that, I wouldn't have been extended 28 interview offers. There are big errors that matter - I sent an in-house insurance department a cover letter that discussed how I loved insurance law, just not the kind they practice 😆 - but yours isn't one of them. As long as your whole application is attractive, you'll get interviews.

Good luck!

What is your opinion on submitting a proposed list of upper year courses when it was not specified/mandatory to do so? I noticed that some firms did not ask for them, but I figured it would not hurt to send them in anyways. Now I am second-guessing my decision and doing everything by the book for the other half of my applications. I would love to know your thoughts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twenty said:

What is your opinion on submitting a proposed list of upper year courses when it was not specified/mandatory to do so? I noticed that some firms did not ask for them, but I figured it would not hurt to send them in anyways. Now I am second-guessing my decision and doing everything by the book for the other half of my applications. I would love to know your thoughts. 

Totally won't hurt! They just won't read it if they don't care :) But going forward, don't do it. A few might think that you didn't follow their instructions, and thus maybe you're not an instruction following type of person. That said, generally it shouldn't hurt your chances if you are an otherwise attractive candidate.

Edited by FortifiedEight
  • Like 2

I once received an email from a less-than-pleasant opposing counsel who wrote instead of "best regards," I received "best retards."

I wanted to call to get some clarification, if failing that, some satisfaction. But at the end of the day, I just laughed it off with my clerk.

Your typo is so minor that it is a matter of style in legal writing rather than a serious blunder such as misspelling your client's name or a date.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I imagine recruiters skim resumes in a similar fashion to how one might skim a case brief before coming to class - I highly doubt they will notice something like that, and if they do, it certainly won't be a deciding factor. 😊