Hello Everyone,

I am enrolled in feb 2021 pltc. Just wondering if it is okay to just read the CANs for pltc exams instead of reading the whole pltc materials that is available on lawsociety website. Would that be enough for passing the exams?

Edited by Karma89

Technically possible maybe but why? You risk a humiliating failure, possibly lose your job, and miss out on basic knowledge for practice. Just do your readings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the point of CAN's at all. I heard all about them, then I got the materials and realized that I could just use the table of contents.

• Like 4

So it took you close to two years to find articles, and now you would rather risk failing PLTC than complete two days' worth of readings? 

There are perhaps people who could pass the PLTC exams without doing the readings. But, if there are, I sure as hell wouldn't count on you being one of them. 

Edited by QuincyWagstaff
"two days" is based on how long I actually spent looking at the examinable solicitors materials
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Do the readings. While you'll likely need to refer to your indices from your class session during the exam, you'll also need to know where things are in the materials, as well as rely on what you've retained from reading. Some of the questions are highly specific to the materials and those answers probably won't be found in a CAN.

• Thanks 1

The pass rate for PLTC was 90% in 2015 and has been made more difficult, reducing the pass rate to 75%. This change was done partly due to control the number of new calls each year.

From what I've heard, a large proportion of the 25% who fail are NCA candidates. If you're a NCA candidate, don't take any risks. Don't cut corners.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to read word for word but you should at least skim read the materials so you have a basic idea where to look during the exam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do at least one complete skim of all the materials. As others have said, you don't need to memorize every single paragraph but doing a complete read over will hopefully make you familiar with what sections are located where so you can locate them quickly on exam day (which is critical).

I was given CANs. They were helpful in providing a brief overview of the subjects, but I found I still needed to read the materials to get a more complete picture. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know where I can access up to date CANs for PLTC 2021? Also looking for 2021 PLTC indices if anyone has any up to date ones they would be greatly appreciated??!!

On 1/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Pepita48 said:

Does anyone know where I can access up to date CANs for PLTC 2021? Also looking for 2021 PLTC indices if anyone has any up to date ones they would be greatly appreciated??!!

You would have to get CANs and indices from friends who have done PLTC. They're not commercially available or available online.  

Edited by Starling
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 7:15 PM, canuckfanatic said:

The pass rate for PLTC was 90% in 2015 and has been made more difficult, reducing the pass rate to 75%. This change was done partly due to control the number of new calls each year.

From what I've heard, a large proportion of the 25% who fail are NCA candidates. If you're a NCA candidate, don't take any risks. Don't cut corners.

I agree, but I will also say that I can think of several friends who went to B.C./Ontario schools that did not pass. They all got summer OCI jobs and a few are clerking; they had good grades and are very competent. 

A lot of passing PLTC is following their insane rubrics. One of the assignments has a 2.5 hour long video purely on formatting. 

Edited by Starling

Just now, Starling said:

A lot of passing PLTC is following their insane rubrics. One of the assignments has a 2.5 hour long video purely on formatting. 

I've been told this by more than a few lawyers. Gotta do things exactly as they tell you to do it, even if you won't do it that way in practice. 

1 minute ago, Starling said:

I agree, but I will also say that I can think of several friends who went to B.C./Ontario schools that did not pass. They all got summer OCI jobs and a few are clerking; they had good grades and are very competent. 

On the plus side, PLTC is fair in the sense that they let you re-write the component you failed. Idk how it works if you failed a significant portion of it though.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 10:08 AM, Pepita48 said:

If you don't know anyone personally who has completed PLTC and is willing to share, you might just have to wait til PLTC starts and ask a classmate.

14 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

I've been told this by more than a few lawyers. Gotta do things exactly as they tell you to do it, even if you won't do it that way in practice. 

On the plus side, PLTC is fair in the sense that they let you re-write the component you failed. Idk how it works if you failed a significant portion of it though.

Yeah, you honestly don't need to know much of the law for the assignments. It's mostly about the formatting. 

If you fail 2+ I think you need to write a letter to PLTC explaining why you should be allowed to retake the assignments. I think you need to redo the course if you fail both exams, but I am not certain of that. So it's not the end of the world if you fail something. 

However, it is a bit of a problem if you take PLTC at the end of articles and fail anything, because it delays when you can be called. So I would advise any one reading this to avoid taking PLTC at the end of your articles, if you can. 

Edited by Starling

8 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

If you don't know anyone personally who has completed PLTC and is willing to share, you might just have to wait til PLTC starts and ask a classmate.

At my session in September a WhatsApp chat was set up on day 1 and everyone with indexes shared them with others. 

Also for anyone going into PLTC, there's no substitute for knowing the materials. The exam questions are more or less right from the materials and that's the answers they want. You can't really rely on outside knowledge that much.

I basically just sat down and read the binders cover to cover until there was nothing that I didn't recognize in the table of contents. Did the same thing with the indexes.

PLTC is not a fun time but what would be worse would be having to do it again. 

1 minute ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

I basically just sat down and read the binders cover to cover until there was nothing that I didn't recognize in the table of contents. Did the same thing with the indexes.

Just picked up my course materials today for the Feb session. How much time did you spend reading each day?

23 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Just picked up my course materials today for the Feb session. How much time did you spend reading each day?

During the coursework, very little. Basically just skimmed the readings for class the night before, if that. As it got more to exam time it ramped up. The day before each exam I spent most of the day reading.

• Like 1