Thang

Can I choose between being called to the bar in-person or administartively?

Hi everyone,

I understand that, due to the pandemic, all calls to the bar up until April 2021 are being held administratively.  I want to inquire whether traditionally the choice of call is up to the candidate.  I ask because I am in the following dilemma.

I have the option to start articling in March or later during the year.  Of course, if I have the choice to be called administratively then I will commence my articling as soon as possible.  However, if the choice is not solely mine then there is no rush for me to start my articling since in-person calls typically happen in June and September.

Do any recently appointed lawyers know whether traditionally (pre-pandemic) the call was the free choice of the candidate?  Or if it wasn't, what the requirements were for being administratively called?  I am located in Ontario and I have already emailed the LSO but no reply.  Any advice or information will be helpful in my decision.  Thanks!

You could defer your call if you're within the 3 year period of the licensing cycle and hope that eventually there will be an in-person ceremony. Otherwise, as of right now, the LSO is only doing administrative calls.

you don't need to be called to start articling 

12 hours ago, Thang said:

Do any recently appointed lawyers know whether traditionally (pre-pandemic) the call was the free choice of the candidate?  Or if it wasn't, what the requirements were for being administratively called?  I am located in Ontario and I have already emailed the LSO but no reply.  Any advice or information will be helpful in my decision.  Thanks!

Pre-pandemic, administrative calls weren't really a thing.

Edited by msk2012
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 5:21 AM, Thang said:

Hi everyone,

I understand that, due to the pandemic, all calls to the bar up until April 2021 are being held administratively.  I want to inquire whether traditionally the choice of call is up to the candidate.  I ask because I am in the following dilemma.

I have the option to start articling in March or later during the year.  Of course, if I have the choice to be called administratively then I will commence my articling as soon as possible.  However, if the choice is not solely mine then there is no rush for me to start my articling since in-person calls typically happen in June and September.

Right now at this point, you can only be administratively called. Since you haven't even started articling yet, you don't have to worry about it. The LSO will adjust their schedule in accordance to the current situation. If things get better once you have completed your articling and bar exams, they will eventually move back to in-person call ceremonies.