HumanCalculator

How Civil Schools Vary By French Requirements

I wasn't able to find a ton of concrete information online, but essentially I was wondering how various schools in QC, namely: University of Laval, UQAM, Sherbrooke, UDEM vary in terms of their french requirements and their conditions for having a candidate part of their program with certain levels of French.

For instance, I'm well aware that UDEM requires a TFI score of 785 or C1 on TEF Express prior to admission to be admitted.

I was told that University of Laval may have you write the test even after classes have begun and I read somewhere else that UQAM may admit on the condition that one takes supplemental French classes along with law classes.

Obviously I am a little on edge with my French skills, I've been studying French but I'm worried of losing a year due to not having written the LSAT and potentially being limited by my French. If anyone has knowledge on different schools' French requirements and being admitted, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by HumanCalculator

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered from the school's websites and browsing this forum all of the schools in Quebec (UQAM, UdeS, UDEM) require a C1 level on the TFI exam which you can submit when you apply or once you've gotten your acceptance, except for Laval which requires a C2. Not too sure about Ottawa, they say French knowledge is required for the Civil Law program on their website but I'm not sure how it's measured.

This is what ULaval states for the LLB:

Condition d'admission supplémentaire pour le candidat non francophone

Le candidat qui a fait ses études primaires et secondaires dans une autre langue que le français doit faire la preuve d'un niveau minimal de connaissance de la langue française. À cette fin, il doit passer le Test de connaissance du français tout public avec :

• un résultat égal ou supérieur à 600/699 aux épreuves obligatoires (TCF-TP)
  • ET un résultat égal ou supérieur à 14/20 à l'épreuve d'expression écrite (TCF-TP/EÉ)
  • Like 1

What about Ottawa? I found a page describing the process behind taking their own Language test and how to understand the results, but I haven't found anything discussing a required minimum in order to be admitted to the program. I also read some forum posts here on lawstudents explaining that students may submit their papers in either language and the ability to understand lectures and readings is far more important, but I haven't found any significant information pertaining to absolute minimum requirements on Ottawa's website.