Jump to content
SRSmith

Multiple Applications

Recommended Posts

For BC law schools, does accepting at one university automatically take me out of the application process for other schools in BC? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how it works in BC, but in Ontario you can accept at a school (school A) anytime before June 1st and all your offers still remain open. However, if you decide to accept a different school (school B) before then, you can't then go back later and accept school A if you change your mind. June 1st is when whatever school you've accepted at that point becomes set in stone and you can't change again. 

My guess is that it would be at the very least similar, if not the exact same. The dates might be different though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, navyblue11 said:

I'm not sure how it works in BC, but in Ontario you can accept at a school (school A) anytime before June 1st and all your offers still remain open. However, if you decide to accept a different school (school B) before then, you can't then go back later and accept school A if you change your mind. June 1st is when whatever school you've accepted at that point becomes set in stone and you can't change again. 

My guess is that it would be at the very least similar, if not the exact same. The dates might be different though. 

Clarification on ON procedures. Offers typically are open until April 1. At that point,  or before that point, you can accept an offer provisionally, but if you have received other offers, those offers are now gone. Any outstanding decisions will remain open. You may only have one provisional acceptance. Your provisional acceptance will automatically become firm on July 1, 2021.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Clarification on ON procedures. Offers typically are open until April 1. At that point, or before that point, you can accept an offer provisionally, but if you have received other offers, those offers are now gone. Any outstanding decisions will remain open. You may only have one provisional acceptance. Your provisional acceptance will automatically become firm on July 1, 2021.

Ohhh I see. So the "School A, School B" stuff is for anything before April 1st? 

I always seem to get June and July mixed up, it's the four-letter J's haha 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SRSmith said:

For BC law schools, does accepting at one university automatically take me out of the application process for other schools in BC? 

 

No. Once you've received an offer you'll be given a deadline to accept and pay a deposit. You can withdraw that acceptance at any time and go to a different BC school, but that means forfeiting the deposit that you paid at the first school.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, navyblue11 said:

Ohhh I see. So the "School A, School B" stuff is for anything before April 1st? 

I always seem to get June and July mixed up, it's the four-letter J's haha 😂

No. As I said, if you have offers from school A and school B, and you decide to provisionally accept school A, the offer from school B is now gone. Once you make a provisional acceptance, any other received offers are kaput. However, any outstanding decisions that you have not yet received, are still open. So, for example, if you provisionally accept school A, then get an offer from school C and you prefer school C, you can then switch your provisional acceptance to school C but will have lost any deposit to school A. 

Once you make a firm acceptance, that closes out all other offers and pending decisions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, erinl2 said:

No. As I said, if you have offers from school A and school B, and you decide to provisionally accept school A, the offer from school B is now gone. Once you make a provisional acceptance, any other received offers are kaput. However, any outstanding decisions that you have not yet received, are still open. So, for example, if you provisionally accept school A, then get an offer from school C and you prefer school C, you can then switch your provisional acceptance to school C but will have lost any deposit to school A. 

Once you make a firm acceptance, that closes out all other offers and pending decisions.

Thanks! Looks like I got some inaccurate info ahaha 😂 glad for the clarification!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Recent Posts

    • Your grades are quite good so I would apply broadly and cross my fingers. The only Canadian law school I've seen that accepts a lot of US transfers from bottom tier schools is U of T. But your grades have to be really good. I'm not sure how they will view your B's. Good luck. 
    • yeah it was a mistake. I posted this in law students when I meant to post in articling students and lawyers and I couldn't delete it after it had been posted. I think I mentioned it in this thread or the one that you linked. 
    • There's been a lot of focus here on IQ but one of the things that makes a good lawyer is a heavy measure of EQ and our friend here McGillicutty has demonstrated why many of my former STEM colleagues lack even a smidgen of EQ.
    • The only thing that matters is that you can get funding at a good interest rate. Scotia has the best offerings, but that doesn't mean that you're out of options if they decline you. In my experience, the bank that you have the longest history with is the one that usually helps you out in situations where your credit isn't up to snuff. 
    • I think you are slightly confused maybemaybe, so I can clear this up for you:  2 year applicants are those that are in their second year of their undergrad degree (will have 60-89 completed credits) by the time they enter law school and they are the ones who require exceptional stats (3.7 and 90th percentile); see excerpt from https://apps.admissions.ualberta.ca/programs/la/la020 ("There is no direct entry from high school into the Juris Doctor program (JD). Exceptional students may be admitted to the program after completing two years of university study with a minimum GPA of 3.7 and 90th percentile Law School Admission Test (LSAT) score. All other students must have completed at least the first three years of a degree before being admitted to the JD."). This applies when you apply in your second year of undergrad.  3rd year applicants are those that are in their 3rd year of university and who will have 90 or more credits by the time they enter law school and they are treated the same as those with degrees. Excerpt from same website " All other students must have completed at least the first three years of a degree before being admitted to the JD." This applies when you apply in your third year of undergrad.  Hope this clears everything up! 

×
×
  • Create New...