Sign in to follow this  
law552

Transfer questions

Just finished 1L fall semester and average is around 80% (A-). Looking to transfer to queens, uoft, or osgoode- what are the grade requirements like? Do these schools look heavily upon undergrad grades and LSAT or are law mid-term marks more important to admissions committees? 

Thanks.

Im also looking to transfer, 2 questions if anyone can answer that would be great:

1. What is the process to do this? Do i just get a letter or permission or is the process through olsas? 

2. Im currently doing school online in BC, but I want to come back to the GTA for personal reasons, the closer i can be the better. So is there a limit to how many schools I can apply to because I want to apply to all the ontario schools and whichever is the closest that accepts me is the one i will attend.

ty!

Start by looking at the OLSAS site. The deadline for transfer apps for Ontario schools is May 1.

Each school will have its own assessment process, just as they did for 1L admission, so requirements should be obtained from the schools you're interested in. 

The number of transfer spots will vary year to year, school to school. Some schools will only have a handful of spots, others will have more. Attrition is typically the primary factor for available spots. 

Final grades for 1L are what will be the basis for assessment for most applicants. Osgoode allows for compassionate reasons in their assessment but they won't totally ignore grades. Also, the compassionate reasons would have to be actually serious, and likely verifiable.

You will need LORs from 1L profs for most, if not all, transfer apps.

As far as I know, you can apply to as many as you want. However, I would strongly suggest that you assess your chances at each before wasting time and $ on the apps.

Transfer decisions won't come out til end of June, beginning of July, usually.

This is all information from previous years and students who I have known who have transferred. Whether all, or any, of it will apply in this crazy year, who knows. I would not be at all surprised if transfer apps increase in numbers this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erinl2 said:

Start by looking at the OLSAS site. The deadline for transfer apps for Ontario schools is May 1.

Each school will have its own assessment process, just as they did for 1L admission, so requirements should be obtained from the schools you're interested in. 

The number of transfer spots will vary year to year, school to school. Some schools will only have a handful of spots, others will have more. Attrition is typically the primary factor for available spots. 

Final grades for 1L are what will be the basis for assessment for most applicants. Osgoode allows for compassionate reasons in their assessment but they won't totally ignore grades. Also, the compassionate reasons would have to be actually serious, and likely verifiable.

You will need LORs from 1L profs for most, if not all, transfer apps.

As far as I know, you can apply to as many as you want. However, I would strongly suggest that you assess your chances at each before wasting time and $ on the apps.

Transfer decisions won't come out til end of June, beginning of July, usually.

This is all information from previous years and students who I have known who have transferred. Whether all, or any, of it will apply in this crazy year, who knows. I would not be at all surprised if transfer apps increase in numbers this year.

Thanks, this was really helpful!