sunaina

Can I take the LSAT if my undergrad is not from a University?

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are keeping well! I have my undergraduate degree from BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology) and I recently registered for an LSAC account. 

When trying to enter my undergrad details, I saw that my school was not listed as an option and it made me wonder if I was even qualified to take the test. 

This process is fairly new to me, as I am just getting started so if anyone has any insight, I would really appreciate it! 

Edited by sunaina

No qualification is necessary to take the LSAT, although it's assumed that test-takers have at least two years of undergrad. I'm surprised BCIT wouldn't be on there. What kind of degree do you have? You should probably get in contact with LSAC.

14 minutes ago, Liavas said:

No qualification is necessary to take the LSAT, although it's assumed that test-takers have at least two years of undergrad. I'm surprised BCIT wouldn't be on there. What kind of degree do you have? You should probably get in contact with LSAC.

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. I have my BBA (Bachelors of Business Administration) from BCIT. I was thinking that as well, I will reach out this week.

6 minutes ago, sunaina said:

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. I have my BBA (Bachelors of Business Administration) from BCIT. I was thinking that as well, I will reach out this week.

I'm not sure if you've gotten far enough to narrow down potential law schools, but if you have, it would probably be worth it to contact them. LSAC likely won't have specifics on where your degree is acceptable. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunaina said:

I think you're getting too hung up on the word "university" where law schools say that applicants must have completed X years towards a degree from a university. A number of my law classmates had BBAs from a variety of institutions - a BBA from BCIT is the exact same as a BBA from Vancouver Island University and Kwantlen.

Granted, my opinion on the matter is pretty much irrelevant. If you want absolute certainty, call every school that you want to apply to and ask them if they have any issue with the fact that your 4-year bachelor's degree was conferred by an "Institute of Technology" instead of a "university".

fNgv5Lk.png

• Like 1