idekanymore

Should I even consider law school? (3.16, 3.63)

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, but this my first post! 

So I am a 4th year student in their last semester and I worry if I am even good enough for law school in Canada. I messed up my first year, so my cGPA is currently 3.16, my L2/B2 is 3.63 and B3 is 3.51 according to the OLSAS GPA calculator (https://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/CGPA/Index). I go to a percent based school so cGPA in that format is 76.1 but with a 12 credit drop, it is 81%. I am aiming for only As and A+s this term so hoping my GPA maintains the same or improves by at least a little. 

As for the LSAT, I will be writing it this Summer and am aiming for 165 or more. While I am finishing up my undergrad, I am also doing a legal administrative program to hopefully get a job as soon as I graduate in May as an LAA at a firm. I worked all throughout undergrad as a floor manager at a small retail store (until I got laid off last March) and currently have a position as a teaching assistant. Aside from that I have been a member of the students association of the program I am in for the last two years. 

Based off this info, do you guys think I should even apply for law school? Are there any schools that you recommend that would only look at L2/B2? My transcript shows an upwards trend but I still fear it is not good enough. I will be applying this fall, and will be working as an LAA like I said, and hoping to do more volunteer work then too (currently restricted in doing this because COVID-19)

Looking forward to you replies, thank you! 

It's going to entirely depend on your LSAT. 

I had a slighty higher GPA to you, similar upward trend and a 166 on my last. I got an offer from most of the schools I applied to, and waitlisted at the rest.

So yea, write the LSAT, shoot your shot. Your odds of getting in if you apply are infinitely higher than if you don't.

Write the LSAT and see how it goes. My cGPA and L2 were both similar to yours and I ended up with multiple acceptances to choose from and admittance to one of the most competitive schools in the country.

Disclaimer: I had a 99th percentile LSAT score. By definition, most people are not going to accomplish that.

I say this not to boast but to convey two main points here:

-Absolutely don't count yourself out yet. You don't need to be perfect to get admitted to law school. Write the LSAT and see where you stand.
-You will need to do quite well on the LSAT. For some people that's effortless, for some it will take hard work, and for others it will be impossible.

Good luck!

If your L2 is accurate, you're actually kind of okay and can get away with a score in the mid 160ish. UofA, UCalgary, USask (and others; I can't remember all of them) are all L2 schools. You'll have more difficulty with CGPA schools without a 170+.

Edited by Psychometronic

34 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Write the LSAT and see how it goes. My cGPA and L2 were both similar to yours and I ended up with multiple acceptances to choose from and admittance to one of the most competitive schools in the country.

Disclaimer: I had a 99th percentile LSAT score. By definition, most people are not going to accomplish that.

I say this not to boast but to convey two main points here:

-Absolutely don't count yourself out yet. You don't need to be perfect to get admitted to law school. Write the LSAT and see where you stand.
-You will need to do quite well on the LSAT. For some people that's effortless, for some it will take hard work, and for others it will be impossible.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response! Question about the upward trend – did you mention it when you applied? 

39 minutes ago, lawstudent20202020 said:

It's going to entirely depend on your LSAT. 

I had a slighty higher GPA to you, similar upward trend and a 166 on my last. I got an offer from most of the schools I applied to, and waitlisted at the rest.

So yea, write the LSAT, shoot your shot. Your odds of getting in if you apply are infinitely higher than if you don't.

Thanks for your reply! Did you apply to cGPA schools and L2 schools or just L2? 

1 hour ago, idekanymore said:

I am aiming for only As and A+s this term so hoping my GPA maintains the same or improves by at least a little. 

As for the LSAT, I will be writing it this Summer and am aiming for 165 or more.

If you turn "aiming" into actual grades and LSAT score then yes, I absolutely think you should apply. Hell, you should apply even with a lower LSAT. You have a decent B2 and adding a decent LSAT (I'd say 160+) would give you a shot at a handful of schools, even if not a great shot. 

A number of schools look at your B2/L2 or some variation thereof. A decent LSAT score (160+) should get you in to at least a couple of schools. I got into TRU with a 2.95 cGPA/3.4 L2 and a 164 LSAT.