WesternLaw543

2L Winter (2021) Toronto Recruit PFOs/ITCs

On 2/22/2021 at 4:45 PM, Bummedoutbum2020 said:

Got 2 from OSC. Investor Office and GCO. 

Have you heard back from them? Investor office told me they could give a decision late next week. Did they tell you the same thing?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, dragonslayer said:

Have you heard back from them? Investor office told me they could give a decision late next week. Did they tell you the same thing?

Nothing from investor Office. 

Edited by Bummedoutbum2020

Is the trend of posting on LinkedIn "I am excited to share that I have accepted a summer position with x firm, Id like to thank my friends and family" a new thing this year or have I just never noticed it before?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

Is the trend of posting on LinkedIn "I am excited to share that I have accepted a summer position with x firm, Id like to thank my friends and family" a new thing this year or have I just never noticed it before?

I feel like it’s a new thing this year. I also suspect it has something to do with school being largely remote for the last year or so. People forget how devastated their classmates that didn’t get positions can feel. I know when classes were in person, and I finished recruit, there was almost this unspoken rule that you should keep your excitement under wraps. Whether that was good or bad, I don’t know.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

22 minutes ago, Adapt said:

I feel like it’s a new thing this year. I also suspect it has something to do with school being largely remote for the last year or so. People forget how devastated their classmates that didn’t get positions can feel. I know when classes were in person, and I finished recruit, there was almost this unspoken rule that you should keep your excitement under wraps. Whether that was good or bad, I don’t know.

11 minutes ago, Imprettylostrn said:

Idk, but I hate it. I was fortunate enough to secure summer employment, but I feel like making a post like that is just rubbing it in everyones faces. It just makes people who didn't get a position (or their "dream" role that they worked incredibly hard for) feel terrible. I hope the trend dies an ugly death.

Exactly. It's a double whammy to those who didn't land: not only does it remind them of that fact, but then they have to read that others landed, which is a double blow.

I won't do it and I recommend others don't as well. It's all about humility and gratitude

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, chaboywb said:

It’s new but right on brand. LinkedIn has become markedly worse the last 12-18 months. People are absolutely shameless on there. 

“Shocked to learn...” “Humbled to share...” “This must be some kind of mistake, but...” I have achieved this notable thing that many people find impressive. 

It’s just a humblebrag platform.

Edited by easttowest
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, easttowest said:

It’s new but right on brand. LinkedIn has become markedly worse the last 12-18 months. People are absolutely shameless on there. 

“Shocked to learn...” “Humbled to share...” “This must be some kind of mistake, but...” I have achieved this notable thing that many people find impressive. 

I've seen the middle one ("humbled to share") or some derivative of it - the outside ones, never, thankfully. 

24 minutes ago, easttowest said:

My pet peeve is the "I interviewed a candidate that [had an employment gap/showed up 5 minutes late/had certain red flag on their resume/etc] and discovered that [they were a single mother raising kids/they had to put their career on hold due to terminal cancer/they were caring for their elderly father/etc] and I hired them and I have no regrets and the moral of the story is to look beyond the surface and appreciate great candidates for what they are" posts.

I swear I've seen variations on this bullshit 100 times and it's such self-indulgent crap and what really grosses me out is that the implication is that their new hires are losers and the hiring manager posting is a great person for being charitable to them and it's using the employee as a prop to big up the manager under the guise of supposedly praising the employee. I gag every time I see this virtually identical damn post.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, CleanHands said:

My pet peeve is the "I interviewed a candidate that [had an employment gap/showed up 5 minutes late/had certain red flag on their resume/etc] and discovered that [they were a single mother raising kids/they had to put their career on hold due to terminal cancer/they were caring for their elderly father/etc] and I hired them and I have no regrets and the moral of the story is to look beyond the surface and appreciate great candidates for what they are" posts.

I swear I've seen variations on this bullshit 100 times and it's such self-indulgent crap and what really grosses me out is that the implication is that their new hires are losers and the hiring manager posting is a great person for being charitable to them and it's using the employee as a prop to big up the manager under the guise of supposedly praising the employee. I gag every time I see this virtually identical damn post.

There is nothing on LinkedIn that is not self-promotion. Change my mind (you can’t). Another favourite is the “I made a mistake...” theme, where in the end we learn why they’re so wonderful for having the awareness and humility to share the great lesson they learned. That’s a variation on the one you posted, but it’s a very LinkedIn specific kind of story-telling.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

People actually do this? Gross.

To those wondering: Yes, it’s a convention to be mindful of others on Call Day and our CSO makes it really clear. I’m very sorry  to those who’ve had to deal with this disorienting and demoralizing process during a pandemic. 

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, chaboywb said:

Holy SHIT is it bad out there!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Imprettylostrn said:

Idk, but I hate it. I was fortunate enough to secure summer employment, but I feel like making a post like that is just rubbing it in everyones faces. It just makes people who didn't get a position (or their "dream" role that they worked incredibly hard for) feel terrible. I hope the trend dies an ugly death.

100% agree.

Edited by burr0wn

these linkedin posts are so cringe 

• Like 9

All forms of social media are garbage, partly for the reasons mentioned above. Linkedin's the same as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and the rest, just guised as a "career tool". Having it might be good for visibility but otherwise I'd recommend only using it when you need it - like a plunger.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

people deserve to share things they're happy about too lol we can't cater to the world. everyone who comes into recruit knows there is a chance (maybe even a high chance) that they won't land a job. but hopefully as law students they should know there's a ton of great opportunities outside of the formal recruit. let's not make people feel bad for feeling they've landed the job of their dreams? everyone else will eventually land, too. 

Edited by TorontoLaw17

8 minutes ago, TorontoLaw17 said:

people deserve to share things they're happy about too lol we can't cater to the world. everyone who comes into recruit knows there is a chance (maybe even a high chance) that they won't land a job. but hopefully as law students they should know there's a ton of great opportunities outside of the formal recruit. let's not make people feel bad for feeling they've landed the job of their dreams? everyone else will eventually land, too. 

While I do think people should be happy about landing a job, I think there could be a more appropriate way to share news with others in private. Also rather than posting an “I’m so happy to announce that x, y, z”, ppl could just update their work experience section when they start their summer jobs. Humility is so important, especially in a recruitment process like OCIs that are quite based on luck. (Full disclosure: I’m posting as someone who did secure a job but won’t be humble bragging on LinkedIn lol) 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, easttowest said:

There is nothing on LinkedIn that is not self-promotion. Change my mind (you can’t). Another favourite is the “I made a mistake...” theme, where in the end we learn why they’re so wonderful for having the awareness and humility to share the great lesson they learned. That’s a variation on the one you posted, but it’s a very LinkedIn specific kind of story-telling.

"Within 3 months of operations, I bankrupted my 12th startup. As I discussed filing for yet another chapter 11 at the dinner table, my son said, “Dad, chapter 11 is my favourite chapter in Danny and the Dinosaur.”

Wow.

This interaction really put things into perspective for me, we get so caught up in the ‘little’ things, like chapter 11 bankruptcies, and forget the bigger picture.

Agree?”

Edited by Re7o
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, TorontoLaw17 said:

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I agree with this. Is social awareness not a thing on social media? I mean, if you've received an offer through a very competitive process, you deserve to be happy and to share that with friends and family. However, it would be nice to see students be mindful of their audience when posting about success on a social media platform which we all know includes other students, many of whom did NOT receive offers and are likely feeling down and out. 

• Like 4