WesternLaw543

2L Winter (2021) Toronto Recruit PFOs/ITCs

19 minutes ago, HornOkPlease said:

Do the full-service firms interview candidates on all three days? Like if they interview me on Tuesday and then don't call me on Wednesday, is it game over? 

P.S. - New to this country and to the process. 

Depends on the firm. Some firms only do one interview and you can get a job on Tuesday with that one interview. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HornOkPlease said:

Do the full-service firms interview candidates on all three days? Like if they interview me on Tuesday and then don't call me on Wednesday, is it game over? 

P.S. - New to this country and to the process. 

From my understanding, it depends on the firm, but generally at the end of the day Tuesday (or occasionally earlier in the day depending on when you interview) firms will email you and let you know whether they’d like you to come back for another interview Wednesday. Most firms that don’t want another interview will let you know that night as well (similar to OCI PFOs). Thursday is seen as a more informal interview day, and would likely consist of shorter coffee-chat type calls (normally these would be breakfast receptions/lunches, but different because it’s virtual this year). I hope this is helpful! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnStuartHobbes said:

Depends on the firm. Some firms only do one interview and you can get a job on Tuesday with that one interview. 

I mean you technically can’t get a job on Tuesday because of the rules.

The chances of being hired after a single day of interviews in the OCI process is slim.

Edited by Rashabon
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Smorr53 said:

I received interviewers for Torys and Davies

Anyone hear from BLG or Gowling?

Waiting for BLG as well 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, Smorr53 said:

I received interviewers for Torys and Davies

Anyone hear from BLG or Gowling?

I'm still waiting for Gowling 

• Like 2

Good luck to everyone going into the recruit tomorrow.

These are unprecedented virtual OCIs, after a global pandemic, at a time when there is great uncertainty in the economy. The situation is obviously not one that is not full of upsides for current 2L students. Keep this in mind before you rush to be too hard on yourself. 

Try to stay positive and remember that regardless of the outcome of these OCIs, you will be fine. Throughout the interview process you will meet many people who did not start at the shop they are interviewing you at, and possibly did not start at big national firms at all. I know it may feel like these firms are the be-all and end-all of your life, but you should not let any setbacks discourage you as this is only the beginning and the path of least resistance. You'll be fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, quickcomments said:

Try to stay positive and remember that regardless of the outcome of these OCIs, you will be fine. Throughout the interview process you will meet many people who did not start at the shop they are interviewing you at, and possibly did not start at big national firms at all. I know it may feel like these firms are the be-all and end-all of your life, but you should not let any setbacks discourage you as this is only the beginning and the path of least resistance. You'll be fine.

I'm a few years into practice. This couldn't be more true.

• Like 1

Anyone interview with ZTGH in the past and know if they do 2nd round in firm interviews? Just not really sure what to expect from non-OCI in firms!

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to spread some love and support for everyone going through this grueling process. It’s hectic, stressful, and tiring as hell. You’re going to be meeting a bunch of people over the next few days in an attempt to persuade them your worth while navigating through things like “what type of law interests you” and “where you see yourself in five years” and “firm culture.” All this while doing it in front of a screen for hours.

Remember to breathe, relax, and do whatever rituals you need to release the tension. Stay hydrated. Reach out to upper years, friends, and family who can support you and lend you an ear to rant to. You’ll be at home, so make sure you’re in a comfortable set up. Do a quick workout. Listen to your favourite music. Treat yourself with your favourite foods. Avoid this forum if it’s giving you anxiety. Give yourself some slack.

Some of you will get your top choices, others “meh” choices, and some of you might strike out. For those who get what they’re looking for – congratulations! It’s a big first step into your future career, but remember that it’s only a first step. For those who don’t – take your time to recover, keep your chin up, and then keep at it. This process does not define who you are nor does it determine where you take your career. Though the path to where you want to get might not look quite as straight anymore, there are many roads that will bring you there. And who knows, maybe along the way you stumble upon an opportunity much better than what you initially wanted.

Be sure of yourselves and that confidence will come through in your interviews. You have been preparing for this for the past while. You’re ready. Good luck – I'm rooting for you.

Edited by xdarkwhite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good advice given by @xdarkwhite

The only thing I'd add is a suggestion that you have a look at the following discussion, (ignoring a few silly comments), and the links enclosed therein. It will give you an idea of what some of these jobs that you think you want so desperately, are really like and if they are what you imagine you want.

What is a typical day in your life like? - General Discussion - Lawstudents.ca

Just wondering if anyone who interviewed at McCarthys had their second day interview cancelled (CSO at my school said this is something that may do before tomorrow but not entirely sure)? Also, did they indicate any interest in you or did they have a very strong poker face on? 

Just now, tonythelion98 said:

Has anyone heard back about 2nd interviews from the following: Davies, WeirFoulds, Goodman? 

nothing from Goodmans other than a follow up with my host and a couple responses to my thank you letters. My host did say that they will get back to me tonight regarding next steps so idk if that's a good sign or not

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, tonythelion98 said:

Has anyone heard back about 2nd interviews from the following: Davies, WeirFoulds, Goodman? 

Davies at around 6pm