Scourage

Social Life in Law School

I'm currently studying for the LSAT and I am curious to know how is the social environment, social groups/dynamic preferably at Queens/Western/Osgoode/Ottawa. Any response is appreciated regardless of school, I just wanted to gain insight for future reference. Thanks! 

Ignore social groups until 2L 😂. Western was good in terms of integrating people into small groups and having events (orientation week and bi-weekly bar nights) to attempt to foster something of a "celebratory" culture. I would assume a more pleasant place than an Osgoode or Ottawa, but the prevailing mood is still what you would expect from a law school.

• Like 1

TRU was interesting since 99% of the students aren't from Kamloops. As a result, you get to know your classmates pretty well. There were distinct friend groups but there were regular house parties where everyone/anyone was invited. There's an "unofficial" school trip to Sun Peaks every January and 75% of the students go to ski/snowboard and party. 

Being a relatively small school (~110 students per year, ~330 total) it can feel like high school. The law building is the top 2 floors of the student union building and law students have 24/7 access. When you spend 3 years on the same 2 floors as your classmates you tend to get comfortable with each other.

However, if you don't really want to "get comfortable" and lean more towards getting in, doing your work, and getting out, you can accomplish that as well. Some of my classmates had families and preferred to just go to class and go home with little to no socializing, and that was just fine too.

My closest circle of friends and I would study at different cafes every weekend and play D&D on a semi-regular basis.

Some social traditions at TRU:

O-Week, Softball tournament, 1Ls vs. Upper Years hockey game, golf tournament, Sun Peaks trip, concert fundraiser at the Blue Grotto, curling tournament, intramural sports, ping pong tournament

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canuckfanatic said:

-snip-

As someone who grew up in BC, and has spent the past 10 years living in Ontario away from any real mountains, you had me at Sun Peaks ski trip.

Just now, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

As someone who grew up in BC, and has spent the past 10 years living in Ontario away from any real mountains, you had me at Sun Peaks ski trip.

Sun Peaks is a 30-45 minute drive from TRU (depending how comfortable you are driving up the mountain). Some of my classmates were there every weekend!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

Sun Peaks is a 30-45 minute drive from TRU (depending how comfortable you are driving up the mountain). Some of my classmates were there every weekend!

If I was living in Kamloops I'd probably be doing the same thing, with occasional jaunts further afield to Big White and Silverstar. 

• Like 1

Can't speak to the schools you requested, but UBC felt a bit like a cliquey high school in 1L.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, thebadwife said:

Can't speak to the schools you requested, but UBC felt a bit like a cliquey high school in 1L.  

It doesn't stop at 1L :)

In all seriousness, most people find their friend circle. There is no need to socialize but plenty of opportunities if you want to. COVID made things weird. There are zoom events but I've never felt like it was really socializing. 

Edited by Psychometronic

39 minutes ago, Psychometronic said:

It doesn't stop at 1L :)

Oh joy! I've forgotten about it a bit since Zoom School became a thing. I wonder if the dynamic will change if/when classes are back in person. 

How about Osgoode? I know the rep for York is that it's a commuter campus and not a lot of people really stay around long enough after class to form really solid friend groups, is this the same for the law school? Or am I totally off-base with the whole perception surrounding York and commuter schools 😂

14 minutes ago, navyblue11 said:

How about Osgoode? I know the rep for York is that it's a commuter campus and not a lot of people really stay around long enough after class to form really solid friend groups, is this the same for the law school? Or am I totally off-base with the whole perception surrounding York and commuter schools 😂

Osgoode is a commuter school but there are plenty of people that spend a lot of time in the library or otherwise on campus. You can definitely form a solid friend group, ideally you have a solid study group because it helps a lot in law school. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Psychometronic said:

It doesn't stop at 1L

I don't think there's any social setting in life where cliques aren't formed, can't imagine law school being any different. As long as people are generally chill and collegial cliques shouldn't be a problem IMO

• Like 3

I will try to apply to UBC in 1 year, I like that at UBC  a degree refers to the level and type of study I will complete during university and a program refers to the subject I have chosen to specialize in

I have to make choice about where to apply this year, I have also been thinking maybe it is better to choose online study, at least this pandemic year and later, in case I want, just to switch up to the classical one.

I like law and political sciences, have you heard anything about ALU (Abraham Lincoln University), they have an online law school where all the degrees are available. The only thing I worry about is a good support of administrative, academic, and technical services. and if their online modules can be really interesting to learn and I want professors to be actively engaged with students, I do not want to be aside from alive communication totally with online study

Edited by whereverjustice
linkspam removed

6 minutes ago, LoraQ said:

I like law and political sciences, have you heard anything about ALU (Abraham Lincoln University alu.edu), they have an online law school where all the degrees are available. The only thing I worry about is a good support of administrative, academic, and technical services. and if their online modules can be really interesting to learn and I want professors to be actively engaged with students, I do not want to be aside from alive communication totally with online study

That should be the last thing you should worry about, rather than the "only" thing.

5 minutes ago, LoraQ said:

I have to make choice about where to apply this year, I have also been thinking maybe it is better to choose online study, at least this pandemic year and later, in case I want, just to switch up to the classical one.

I like law and political sciences, have you heard anything about ALU (Abraham Lincoln University alu.edu), they have an online law school where all the degrees are available. The only thing I worry about is a good support of administrative, academic, and technical services. and if their online modules can be really interesting to learn and I want professors to be actively engaged with students, I do not want to be aside from alive communication totally with online study

Never heard of the school. It's also American and won't qualify you to practice in Canada if it's all online. Go check out the NCA and learn how foreign degrees are treated within Canada.

4 minutes ago, LoraQ said:

I like law and politic sciences, have you heard anything about ALU (Abraham Lincoln University alu.edu), they have online law school where all the degreed are available. The only thing I worry about is  a good supporting of administrative, academic and technical services. and if their online modules can be really interesting to learn and I want professors be actively engaged with students, I do not want to be aside of alive communication totally with online study

From a quick google search of ALU you find it's not accredited by the American Bar Association, and their graduates are only allowed to sit in the California bar exam. It seems like in 2012 they had a 13.5% bar pass rate in California.

In no situation should you consider this school. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LoraQ said:

You should try re-posting your question to US and Other Foreign Schools forum section on the site, just so you can get a better idea on what you're asking or looking for.