crepemyrtle

Will summer jobs be online?

If we are offered a job at a firm through the formal OCI recruit or otherwise, will they be online/remote due to the quarantine or in person? Will we be required to travel at all or should I expect to stay at home the whole summer? Thank you. 

I think it’s too early to have a definitive answer, but I would be surprised if it started out in person in Toronto. Maybe there’s a chance of a few weeks closer to the end of the summer being in person or something.

Edited by Notnotadog

9 hours ago, crepemyrtle said:

If we are offered a job at a firm through the formal OCI recruit or otherwise, will they be online/remote due to the quarantine or in person? Will we be required to travel at all or should I expect to stay at home the whole summer? Thank you. 

Depends where you mean. Downtown Toronto? Unlikely. Halifax? More than likely. 

I worked on a remote basis as a summer student in private practice in 2020. For OP and anyone who might be worried about the uncertainties of how that works out, in my experience the technology set up was the easy part, as in the support staff did their jobs well and I rarely had technical difficulties, but unfortunately there is just no perfect substitute for walking by someone's office and poking your head in for a chat about work/non-work stuff. There were one or two lawyers who went out of their way to reach out and set up calls with me just to chat and get to know each other more casually, and it was super special knowing that they intentionally took time out of their day to make a student feel welcomed.

The lawyers who assigned me work were very approachable and encouraged reaching out via texts/calls but I pretty much did not interact with lawyers who were not in the habit of working with students. My group chat with my fellow students was a life line, though, we watched out for one another and helped each other out with lessening the load when some of us were drowning in deadlines or needed an extra hand with specific tasks. That's the other thing with getting work assignments remotely, lawyers wouldn't oversee/overhear what their colleagues are doing in the students' area of the office and they also wouldn't be able to just walk by the students and see how busy/not busy they seem to be. The responsibility is on the student to assess their workload and decide if they need to de-prioritize and re-negotiate certain tasks and deadlines or recommend the lawyer to assign the task to another, less busy student.

• Like 3