Husns

Should I cancel my score?

Just finished taking the LSAT and it did not go well despite finally consistently hitting very high PT scores. I'm not a good test taker, and this whole application process has been hard on me given that this is my third time applying. I already have a 163 on file for this cycle. Should I cancel?

Unless you are applying to one of the Alberta schools that averages LSATs, no.

Edited by VitalGiraffe
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Unless you are applying to one of the Alberta schools that averages LSATs, no.

Im not, but this is my fourth take so..

3 minutes ago, Husns said:

Im not, but this is my fourth take so..

From what I know,  American schools (who are more skeptical of many takes) are generally fine with up to four takes, only past that is it an issue. Here I believe they don't really care, again, except for the few schools who average scores. I was going through some acceptance threads a few months ago and saw a person with like 7 scores get accepted somewhere. Obviously not the norm but it shows that schools care more about what your capable of.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Prospero said:

What's your cGPA and what school are you trying to get into? 

not good, that's why I need a phenomenal LSAT. CGPA is 3.33 but much higher (around 3.65-3.7) when considering UBC's drops and Queen's B2. I was waitlisted at Western and Osgoode last year. I might just keep the score and go back to school in the summer to take a few courses. My problem is that my performance went down in third/fourth year rather than first year so I feel like I need to prove my academic ability some how even if it does not hugely influence my overall GPA. idk though honestly. I don't think I bombed the LSAT but I dont think I got a 165-172 like my PTs.

EDIT: by taking a few courses I mean accept that I likely won't get in this year, target next year's cycle

Edited by Husns

9 minutes ago, Husns said:

not good, that's why I need a phenomenal LSAT. CGPA is 3.33 but much higher (around 3.65-3.7) when considering UBC's drops and Queen's B2. I was waitlisted at Western and Osgoode last year. I might just keep the score and go back to school in the summer to take a few courses. My problem is that my performance went down in third/fourth year rather than first year so I feel like I need to prove my ability in more courses even if it does not hugely influence my overall GPA. idk though honestly. I don't think I bombed the LSAT but I dont think I got a 165-172 like my PTs

EDIT: by taking a few courses I mean accept that I likely won't get in this year, target next year's cycle

Your LSAT is above the mean for Queens and your B2 is either at or slightly below the mean as well. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you got admitted this cycle. 

Where else did you apply?

A 163 LSAT is solid by the way :) 

Edited by Seekingredemption

1 minute ago, Seekingredemption said:

Your LSAT is above the mean for Queens and your B2 is either at or slightly below the mean as well. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you got admitted this cycle. 

Where else did you apply?

A 163 LSAT is solid by the way :) 

Thank you! When I made the post I was freaking out but I feel a little better now. I'm remembering all those PTs I thought I bombed but ended up doing great on. The only bad thing is that I guessed on 2 RC questions because I ran out of time.

I applied to Windsor, Ottawa, Osgoode, Queen's, Western, UBC (doubtful unless I rock LSAT), McGill and U of T (also extremely unlikely lol). 

1 hour ago, Husns said:

Thank you! When I made the post I was freaking out but I feel a little better now. I'm remembering all those PTs I thought I bombed but ended up doing great on. The only bad thing is that I guessed on 2 RC questions because I ran out of time.

I applied to Windsor, Ottawa, Osgoode, Queen's, Western, UBC (doubtful unless I rock LSAT), McGill and U of T (also extremely unlikely lol). 

I bet you’ll get in somewhere! :) 

And the LSAT can be funny like that. I remember thinking I scored about 4 or 5 points lower than I actually did on the real thing! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Husns said:

The only bad thing is that I guessed on 2 RC questions because I ran out of time.

This is a bad reason to cancel a score.

• Like 1

Never cancel your score unless you are absolutely sure you bombed, as in you didn't complete a section or doodled on the paper instead of filling in the scantrons. 

I was so sure that I bombed my third take only to end up with a 164. You really never know how well you did until you get your score back. 

• Like 1

Well.. I scored a 163.. same exact score as last time. Last time I waited for answers from schools, was placed on waitlists, and didnt start restudying until months later which I think was my downfall. After investing time in Loophole and 7SAGE, I have a much better understanding of concepts but need to do more tests to get better at timing/managing nerves. 

My plan right now is to immediately start restudying, take the test again in summer or September 2021, and reapply for my fourth time to law school lol. I might take some extra uni courses to boost my GPA too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Husns said:

Well.. I scored a 163.. same exact score as last time. Last time I waited for answers from schools, was placed on waitlists, and didnt start restudying until months later which I think was my downfall. After investing time in Loophole and 7SAGE, I have a much better understanding of concepts but need to do more tests to get better at timing/managing nerves. 

My plan right now is to immediately start restudying, take the test again in summer or September 2021, and reapply for my fourth time to law school lol. I might take some extra uni courses to boost my GPA too.

Hey Husns, wanted to show some solidarity as a fellow LSAT-writer who got the same score on the Jan test as their previous write. Sending you positive vibes so you get in this cycle rather than having to write this awful test again!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheBanhMiBoy said:

Hey Husns, wanted to show some solidarity as a fellow LSAT-writer who got the same score on the Jan test as their previous write. Sending you positive vibes so you get in this cycle rather than having to write this awful test again!  

Thank you so much! We got this!!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Husns said:

I might take some extra uni courses to boost my GPA too.

I would 100% do this if I were you. Writing the LSAT for the 6th time probably isn't even worth it at this point unless you make a sizeable jump. I know school's take your highest score, but every admissions person I spoke with prior to applying indicated that they pay close attention to the trends in your score and how many times you've written the test. Even with a 165 (3rd try) , I was advised not to write again unless I was confident my score would increase by at least  a few points.

Your stats also aren't bad at all, and I don't think your 163 is what's holding you back. You have a good shot at Queens and Windsor, but if you end up having to reapply next year, taking courses to boost that L20 is probably your best bet, don't invest hundreds of dollars and countless hours of your time on the LSAT if you're not 100% sure you can make a sizeable jump.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leafs2021 said:

I would 100% do this if I were you. Writing the LSAT for the 6th time probably isn't even worth it at this point unless you make a sizeable jump. I know school's take your highest score, but every admissions person I spoke with prior to applying indicated that they pay close attention to the trends in your score and how many times you've written the test. Even with a 165 (3rd try) , I was advised not to write again unless I was confident my score would increase by at least  a few points.

Your stats also aren't bad at all, and I don't think your 163 is what's holding you back. You have a good shot at Queens and Windsor, but if you end up having to reapply next year, taking courses to boost that L20 is probably your best bet, don't invest hundreds of dollars and countless hours of your time on the LSAT if you're not 100% sure you can make a sizeable jump.

My 2 cents.

I totally agree. I wont be retaking unless Im confident that I can score over 170. The thing is I've never studied for more than 2 months for any of my takes (which I know is stupid). I've been stuck in an endless re-application cycle and school/work timing has been off, so I won't do it again unless Im confident after months of work. The problem with additional university courses is that 3-4 additional courses wont substantially raise my CGPA even if I get an A+ in each.

I wanted to give myself a real shot this cycle with the LSAT and unfortunately it didn't materialize.. 

Edited by Husns

1 hour ago, Husns said:

I also scored the same as my last take albeit much lower than you. 

Very disappointing experience. I studied for almost 4 months consistently this time compared to taking it cold last time. Yet somehow ended up with the same score.

Will be having a good cry before I get back to it I guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Husns said:

The problem with additional university courses is that 3-4 additional courses wont substantially raise my CGPA even if I get an A+ in each.

You don't need to raise your cGPA for all schools though. Many will look at L2/B3/B20. If you go down the more courses route it would probably be more worth it to go full time for a semester or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VitalGiraffe said:

You don't need to raise your cGPA for all schools though. Many will look at L2/B3/B20. If you go down the more courses route it would probably be more worth it to go full time for a semester or two.

Correct me if I’m wrong but courses you take after you graduate do not affect your stats. Once you graduate your transcript is sealed and sent to the ministry of education, so courses taken additionally yes will be reviewed favourably ( you’re going back to school, consistent A’s etc), but it won’t be counted towards your cGPA or L2.

Edited by Terracycle
Grammar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terracycle said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but courses you take after you graduate do not affect your stats. Once graduated your transcript is sealed and sent to the ministry of education, so courses taken additionally yes will be reviewed favourably ( you’re going back to school, consistent A’s etc), but it won’t be counted towards your cGPA or L2.

That's a good point, thank you. I will speak with my University's registrar and go from there. I'm not too sure how this works!

• Like 1