Albertaa

1L Summer Student Jobs

On average, what percentage or how many 1L's at UofA end up securing jobs for the 1L summer in Edmonton?

There are far more than 5 - 10 positions available. I personally know at least 20 people who got jobs last year but I know the actual number is higher. Edmonton 1L recruit is bigger than their 2L recruit. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this. After 1L, what should we be doing with out summers if we don't secure law-related work? Volunteering with law clinics? Throughout my undergrad I spent my summers working full-time to save up for the upcoming school year. 

When I went through the 1L recruit, one of the career advisors told me that generally 15-25% of students have their articling lined up after the 1L recruit, based on the stats they gathered. Keep in mind this includes people who already had something lined up before attending law school (generally people who worked in the field beforehand) so it doesn't necessarily reflect how many people got 1L jobs.

The general wisdom I've heard from others is that about 10-15% of the class gets some sort of 1L position, which includes people that go to a different city to work for the summer. As for percentage of people that get positions in Edmonton, it's hard to say because it varies so much year to year. I do know of ~10 from my year that worked in Edmonton, but there were probably more. Lots of people I knew were only interested in Calgary positions because they were originally from there.

With interview offers starting to go out, how many people does each firm typically interview? Thanks! 

On 1/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, Albertaa said:

With interview offers starting to go out, how many people does each firm typically interview? Thanks! 

Depends on the firm but it can be quite a few. Dozens, not several, kind of idea. 

On 27/01/2021 at 2:55 PM, Albertaa said:

Like was already mentioned, it depends a lot on the firm. It will also be hard to predict this year because hiring may or may not have been affected by the pandemic. I know of a handful of people who had their summering deferred to this coming year, so unfortunately there may be fewer positions available (but again, depends a lot on the firm).

As far as numbers go, a couple places I interviewed with had "mixers" with their interviewees totalling between 10-15 people, but bigger firms will interview more and some places only interview a handful.

Basically, the answer to all law school questions is "it depends".

2 minutes ago, tryingmybest said:

Has anyone received interviews from Edmonton firms yet?

Bishop McKenzie sent some out 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tryingmybest said:

Has anyone received interviews from Edmonton firms yet?

The very large majority seem to be in. I've had quite a few Edmonton interviews scheduled now. There is a firm or two that I don't think have sent anything out.

Hope you got a few at the end of the day. If not, there might be a firm or two left. Fingers crossed for you.

A lot less jobs than usual. So dont get down on yourself if you dont get any interviews.

Glad I applied in yyc as well! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegalGal said:

The very large majority seem to be in. I've had quite a few Edmonton interviews scheduled now. There is a firm or two that I don't think have sent anything out.

Hope you got a few at the end of the day. If not, there might be a firm or two left. Fingers crossed for you.

A lot less jobs than usual. So dont get down on yourself if you dont get any interviews.

Glad I applied in yyc as well! :)

Thank you so much for this, I got a couple of Calgary interviews, I just hadn't heard anything from Edmonton yet! Wish you the best of luck in your interviews!!

Has anyone received any rejections from Edmonton firms? I have interviews booked but there are some firms I haven't heard either way from 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recent Posts

• Accepted Feb 24th!! I honestly can't believe it. I checked uozone on a whim and it said admitted. Haven't received an email and olsas isn't updated yet either. GPA: 3.68 as per OLSAS LSAT: 151 (Jan 2019) , 156 (Aug 2020), 154 (Nov 2020), 157 (Jan 2021) Clearly I struggled with the LSAT so I'm really surprised I got in. My ECs were okay in my opinion. Did some volunteering, worked part-time, went on exchange. I emphasized my interest in social justice and Aboriginal law in my ps and I talked about my financial hardship a little even though I didn't apply access. I believe I had strong reference letters from a prof and my manager at work. Good luck to you all!  
    • Even if you don't know what area of law you want to pursue, the fact that Osgoode has the most clinical programs out of any law school in the country, is located in Toronto, has a more diverse student body - proven if you look at class profiles comparing these schools and what I have heard from many peers who attended Western and Queen's, a decent reputation, and lots of alumni working in Toronto were all big selling points for me.  The main reasons I've seen for people who got into all three to turn down Osgoode for Queen's or Western, is if they wanted a smaller class size, the location, or school vibe (party culture), etc. Some people like Western's business-heavy focus. Queen's is also leaning more business-heavy these days. If corporate law is your goal, then you can't go wrong with any of these options. Things get murkier with other practice areas, especially more niche fields like IP or immigration. Tuition costs are fairly similar for all three. Queen's has a higher curve, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference in employment prospects as employers would just compare the transcripts of students at your school.  Osgoode being bigger and older is not necessarily a bad thing because there is a strong alumni network and depending on where you want to work, this can be hugely beneficial in my opinion. Anecdotally, every single place I interviewed at while in law school had a few Osgoode alumni working there and this allowed me to connect with interviewers pretty quickly. That said, Western and Queen's also have many alumni working in Toronto so this isn't a major factor.  Osgoode is the oldest law school in Ontario and was on its own before it joined York University, so most people would not associate York's overall reputation with Osgoode or even Schulich School of Business. At least in the legal field, it has a decent reputation.  I've thought about this question quite a bit over the years and besides the personal reasons I've outlined above, from an academics or careers standpoint, I am not sure there are many reasons to go to Western or Queen's over Osgoode. I'm a big proponent of getting practical legal experience while in law school and Osgoode just has a shit ton of that going for it. That alone is reason enough to pick it. If you're not a top student grades-wise in law school, then even small differences in course selection, clinicals, and reputation can make all the difference in where you end up landing a job. 
    • My brain says "do not post nitpicky politics," but my heart says do it. So here I am. I'm not discounting your personal experience here. But there is no such thing as a postmodern Marxist. Postmodernism is fundamentally incompatible with Marxism. The former rejects grand universal truths, while the latter is based on there being an inherent (economic) truth. 
    • I shall now apply all of the wisdom I have gained from reading this forum twelve hours a day every day since October to settle this issue once and for all. THE ONE TRUE GUIDE TO CHOOSING A LAW SCHOOL: Criterion #1: Go to school in the province where you want to work. This will help you build your network and minimize difficulties of changing jurisdictions where the laws may differ. Criterion #2: Minimize your debt. All Canadian law schools give you the same JD and all differences in outcome are due to individual differences among students. The fact that some schools have stronger or weaker students says nothing about the school itself, so you may as well just get the degree as cheap as possible. Therefore, without further ado, the one true objective ranking of Canadian schools (for English speakers, at least. Don't know enough about the French side of things to comment): If you want to work in BC: 1. UVic 2. UBC 3. TRU If you want to work in Alberta: 1. U of A 2. U of C (might be the better choice if you're dead-set on Calgary). If you want to work in Saskatchewan: U of S If you want to work in Manitoba: U of M If you want to work in Ontario: Anywhere in Ontario but U of T. Lakehead for anywhere north of Sudbury. Only go to Ryerson as a last resort. If you want to work in New Brunswick: UNB. If you want to work in Nova Scotia: Dal. If you want to work in PEI: UNB (see criterion #2). If you want to work in Newfoundland: Wait for Memorial. If you want to work in the North: Haha no you don't. If you want to work in the States: T6 if you can, T7-14 if you must. Otherwise forget it.
    • TRU regularly participates in Vancouver OCIs, Interior BC OCIs, Calgary OCIs, and Edmonton OCIs. TRU is participating in Toronto OCIs for this 2020-21 year because they're being conducted virtually. There is no word yet as to whether TRU will continue to participate in Toronto OCIs in the future. There are TRU grads all over the country, but they're concentrated in Vancouver, Calgary, and Edmonton. Here are some questions for OP to consider: Would you rather live in Kamloops or or Saskatoon for 3 years? USask tuition is ~$15,000/year while TRU is $20,000/year. Is that $5000/year savings significant for you?