zxcvbnm

Chances: for Toronto 1L recruit + Ontario school transfer

I am a BC student looking to transfer to an Ontario school and to participate in the 1L Toronto Summer Recruit.

My 1L midterm grades are: A+, B+, B, B, B- and C+. 

The C+ is a 69% if that matters. 

Any thoughts on my chances for transferring and/or the recruit? 

Edited by zxcvbnm

I think transferring to some schools requires a letter of reference from a law school prof, maybe two. There are some who might be unwilling to write those letters so I would figure that issue out. I don't remember the dates for the Toronto 1L recruit anymore, but I think the IP one happened already. 2L and articling for Toronto have also passed. Hopefully you can maintain those grades and don't have any profs that opt to curve the class low in term 2. 

Why do you want to leave BC? It's the most beautiful and warm province in the country.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I think transferring to some schools requires a letter of reference from a law school prof, maybe two. There are some who might be unwilling to write those letters so I would figure that issue out. I don't remember the dates for the Toronto 1L recruit anymore, but I think the IP one happened already. 2L and articling for Toronto have also passed. Hopefully you can maintain those grades and don't have any profs that opt to curve the class low in term 2. 

Why do you want to leave BC? It's the most beautiful and warm province in the country.

Right, I have looked up the requirements and I was just wondering if my grades good enough to get in for transfer. Keeping in mind that by the time transfer decisions are made, schools will have my final grades as well. 

With respect to the recruit, the 1L summer recruit deadline is Feb 5. 

I love BC and it's been great here but I've got some family issues that I need to attend to. 

Edited by zxcvbnm

I think those grades are likely enough. That said, someone from my year transferred to Osgoode due to family reasons. I'm not sure that they even looked at his grades as the situation was substantially compelling.

Edited by bonkers
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bonkers said:

I think those grades are likely enough. That said, someone from my year transferred to Osgoode due to family reasons. I''m not sure that they even looked at his grades as the situation was substantially compelling.

Thank you. Appreciate your input. 

2 hours ago, zxcvbnm said:

I am a BC student looking to transfer to an Ontario school and to participate in the 1L Toronto Summer Recruit.

My 1L midterm grades are: A+, B+, B, B, B- and C+. 

The C+ is a 69% if that matters. 

Any thoughts on my chances for transferring and/or the recruit? 

Which school(s) do you have in mind? Where are you now?

Edited by Luckycharm

1 hour ago, bonkers said:

I think those grades are likely enough. That said, someone from my year transferred to Osgoode due to family reasons. I'm not sure that they even looked at his grades as the situation was substantially compelling.

For OZ. merit B+ compassionate B-

I transferred to OZ

Edited by Luckycharm
  • Like 2

I don’t think your chances are very good for succeeding in the 1L recruit, but it’s worth a writing a cover letter and fixing up your resume and giving it a try. I know a couple people who have succeeded with just above average grades, though it’s rare. 

Edited by Notnotadog
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 11:20 PM, Luckycharm said:

Which school(s) do you have in mind? Where are you now?

TRU. Goal is Windsor or Osgoode. 

On 1/16/2021 at 11:38 PM, Notnotadog said:

I don’t think your chances are very good for succeeding in the 1L recruit, but it’s worth a writing a cover letter and fixing up your resume and giving it a try. I know a couple people who have succeeded with just above average grades, though it’s rare. 

Do you consider my grades above average? I really have no way to tell as many people do not share their grades & these midterm grades are *unscaled*. 

1 hour ago, zxcvbnm said:

Do you consider my grades above average? I really have no way to tell as many people do not share their grades & these midterm grades are *unscaled*. 

I wouldn't count on it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zxcvbnm said:

Hard to tell if unscaled, but they look quite average to me, maybe a smidge above average. Nothing wrong with that. It’s your first year of law school and you go to school with smart people. It’s just that people that are successful in the 1L recruit tend to be at the top of their class. No one knows what that range is exactly but I’d wager around the top quartile. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zxcvbnm said:

TRU. Goal is Windsor or Osgoode. 

OZ unlikely. Do you have particular reason(s) why you want to transfer to Ontario? 

6 hours ago, Luckycharm said:

OZ unlikely. Do you have particular reason(s) why you want to transfer to Ontario? 

My family is here. There's more to it, but without disclosing too much, that's the reason. I was born/brought up here. 

6 hours ago, Notnotadog said:

Hard to tell if unscaled, but they look quite average to me, maybe a smidge above average. Nothing wrong with that. It’s your first year of law school and you go to school with smart people. It’s just that people that are successful in the 1L recruit tend to be at the top of their class. No one knows what that range is exactly but I’d wager around the top quartile. 

Thank you for your input! Also that I'd be competing with UofT and Osgoode students, correct?

While I was at TRU it was pretty common for students from Ontario to transfer back after 1st year (and also for students from BC to transfer to TRU from an Ontario school). I feel like it was often TRU and Windsor trading students back and forth.

Your midterm grades at TRU aren't official and aren't on your transcript - can you even use those to apply for a transfer? You might have to apply and then wait for your April grades.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canuckfanatic said:

While I was at TRU it was pretty common for students from Ontario to transfer back after 1st year (and also for students from BC to transfer to TRU from an Ontario school). I feel like it was often TRU and Windsor trading students back and forth.

Your midterm grades at TRU aren't official and aren't on your transcript - can you even use those to apply for a transfer? You might have to apply and then wait for your April grades.

Good to hear that it is common! Thank you pointing out the fact that midterm grades are unofficial. I hope I don't mess them up come finals! 

17 minutes ago, zxcvbnm said:

Good to hear that it is common! Thank you pointing out the fact that midterm grades are unofficial. I hope I don't mess them up come finals! 

9/10 times students do better in April than they did in December - that's the nature of TRU's help-not-hurt midterm exams. I had a couple B- and a C+ in December of 1L then in April my lowest grade was a B. Put a bit more effort into your C+ class and you'll be fine.

Edited by canuckfanatic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zxcvbnm said:

My family is here. There's more to it, but without disclosing too much, that's the reason. I was born/brought up here. 

A single mom was accepted  with B- average to re-unite with her kids.

If you have a compelling compassionate circumstances, you chance are better.

https://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/programs/juris-doctor/jd-admissions/upper-year-exchange-applicants/transfer-letter-permission-applicants/

Decisions are generally made in accordance with the following priorities:

1. Up to one-half of the available positions will be awarded to applicants on the basis of the strength of their law school academic records to date. It is therefore critical that we receive an indication of an applicant’s standing relative to the rest of his or her class.
  2. No fewer than one-half of the available spaces will be awarded to applicants who demonstrate compelling, compassionate circumstances that require them to transfer to Osgoode Hall Law School. Academic qualifications are not ignored in this subgroup but rather are used to aid in deciding between candidates who demonstrate comparable compassionate circumstances. Within this subgroup, priority will be given to: persons who must relocate to the Toronto area due to their own medical condition or that of an immediate family member; persons who would be separated from their dependents where separation to date has been extensive and commuting is not a viable option; and persons who demonstrate extreme financial hardship occasioned by study outside of the Toronto area.
  •