MericGertlersTing

Could use some advice!! Osgoode Law (Missed Jan 2021 LSAT)

Hello Everyone!

I understand I was already playing with fire in scheduling my LSAT date so late into the admissions cycle but I was just looking for some advice on this matter.

I had applied to three schools this application cycle (in November 2020) for a September 2021 start. Those schools are York (Osgoode Hall), Queens, and Western in order of preference (first - last). Osgoode Hall requires that applicants write by the January 2021 LSAT at the latest but the latter two require that you write by February. In abiding with their requirements I had enrolled in the Jan 2021 LSAT.

However, a recent unexpected personal emergency has come up and I have been forced to make a last minute rescheduling to the February LSAT seeing as I would no longer be able to physically sit in for my scheduled test time. Osgoode Hall has been my first choice school that I desperately would like to go to.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options might be in this case if anyone can help me out?

Two options I am not sure about:

1) Do you know whether their admissions might be receptive to me explaining my reasoning for why I was forced to write the February 2021 LSAT and not a sooner LSAT? (I know this might be a longshot but I want to do anything I can!).

2) I know that one may apply as an upper year JD transfer applicant under certain circumstances. I feel like I have a good shot at getting into Queens and Western (L2 GPA 3.87, a really strong CV, and an expected LSAT of 165ish (hopefully higher)) so, should I get in, would it be better to A) accept offers from these schools with the intent on transferring or B) just waiting until next admissions cycle and reapply to Osgoode? -- Hopefully this isn't the case as I definitely wouldn't want to waste a year.

Thanks a lot! Really weird questions I know but I needed some advice on the matter :(

It’s worth a try! The worst they can say is no and you’d be no worse off in terms of options than you are now. 

Maybe someone else in this forum has had experience with this problem and can speak to it more, I’m sure this can’t be the first time someone’s needed an extension on the LSAT requirement. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

It's unlikely that a school would extend the LSAT testing date requirement. I've been here on the forum for many years and have never heard of this happening. Applicants are able to write the LSAT multiple times within a five year period prior to applying, so there is ample opportunity to do so. I have heard of the application deadline being extended in certain circumstances but not the LSAT test date. You can inquire but it would be surprising if they agreed, especially given the increased number of applicants this year.

As for transfers, I wouldn't advise someone to ever accept a school with the intention/plan of transferring before they even arrive. Transfer admission is never guaranteed and you never know, year to year, how many spots will become available or how you will perform in 1L.

My advice would be to accept an offer from either Queen's or Western, should you receive one, and plan to be there for three years. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MericGertlersTing said:

Hello Everyone!

I understand I was already playing with fire in scheduling my LSAT date so late into the admissions cycle but I was just looking for some advice on this matter.

I had applied to three schools this application cycle (in November 2020) for a September 2021 start. Those schools are York (Osgoode Hall), Queens, and Western in order of preference (first - last). Osgoode Hall requires that applicants write by the January 2021 LSAT at the latest but the latter two require that you write by February. In abiding with their requirements I had enrolled in the Jan 2021 LSAT.

However, a recent unexpected personal emergency has come up and I have been forced to make a last minute rescheduling to the February LSAT seeing as I would no longer be able to physically sit in for my scheduled test time. Osgoode Hall has been my first choice school that I desperately would like to go to.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options might be in this case if anyone can help me out?

Two options I am not sure about:

1) Do you know whether their admissions might be receptive to me explaining my reasoning for why I was forced to write the February 2021 LSAT and not a sooner LSAT? (I know this might be a longshot but I want to do anything I can!).

2) I know that one may apply as an upper year JD transfer applicant under certain circumstances. I feel like I have a good shot at getting into Queens and Western (L2 GPA 3.87, a really strong CV, and an expected LSAT of 165ish (hopefully higher)) so, should I get in, would it be better to A) accept offers from these schools with the intent on transferring or B) just waiting until next admissions cycle and reapply to Osgoode? -- Hopefully this isn't the case as I definitely wouldn't want to waste a year.

Thanks a lot! Really weird questions I know but I needed some advice on the matter :(

What is your cGPA per OLSAS. OZ is a GPA school

• Like 1

My gut tells me that you need to focus on 2022 admissions. This is in spite of the fact that certain schools may take a Feb LSAT.

Save all of your school statements from the 2021 admissions cycle. Polish and update them for next year. Ask your references to save their reference letters, and ask them to consider submitting them again, or an updated version thereof, for the 2022 cycle.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck getting into law school in Sept 2021 so you do not have to wait, go through the process of re-applying, and spend all that OLSAS application money again.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 6:08 AM, navyblue11 said:

It’s worth a try! The worst they can say is no and you’d be no worse off in terms of options than you are now. 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, erinl2 said:

It's unlikely that a school would extend the LSAT testing date requirement. I've been here on the forum for many years and have never heard of this happening. Applicants are able to write the LSAT multiple times within a five year period prior to applying, so there is ample opportunity to do so. I have heard of the application deadline being extended in certain circumstances but not the LSAT test date. You can inquire but it would be surprising if they agreed, especially given the increased number of applicants this year.

As for transfers, I wouldn't advise someone to ever accept a school with the intention/plan of transferring before they even arrive. Transfer admission is never guaranteed and you never know, year to year, how many spots will become available or how you will perform in 1L.

My advice would be to accept an offer from either Queen's or Western, should you receive one, and plan to be there for three years. 

Thank you both for the advice!

@navyblue11 That was exactly my thinking as its definitely a very unlikely longshot but no greater loss to me compared to my options now. Ill give it a try!

@erinl2 I totally understand what you are saying. Its totally a blunder on my part so I will make sure to just focus on doing well on my LSATs in the hopes of getting into one of the two remaining schools.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, Luckycharm said:

What is your cGPA per OLSAS. OZ is a GPA school

My cGPA is a 3.58 which is not as great and a reason why I've been unsure

I was hoping that my CV and LSAT could help make up for this cGPA

On 1/17/2021 at 9:25 AM, SNAILS said:

My gut tells me that you need to focus on 2022 admissions. This is in spite of the fact that certain schools may take a Feb LSAT.

Save all of your school statements from the 2021 admissions cycle. Polish and update them for next year. Ask your references to save their reference letters, and ask them to consider submitting them again, or an updated version thereof, for the 2022 cycle.

That being said, I wish you the best of luck getting into law school in Sept 2021 so you do not have to wait, go through the process of re-applying, and spend all that OLSAS application money again.

@SNAILS Thank you so much for the advice and wishes!

I honestly had little idea in applying this year that (as I assume from your comment) Feb LSATs give you a drastically lesser chance of getting into law school. I hope that I can score well on this test next month and save it for the next admissions cycle.

Do you know what kind of a chance I may still have for Western and Queens?

I also am applying within the Access Category so I hope this will improve my chances.

Edited by MericGertlersTing

On 1/18/2021 at 2:47 PM, MericGertlersTing said:

@SNAILS Thank you so much for the advice and wishes!

I honestly had little idea in applying this year that (as I assume from your comment) Feb LSATs give you a drastically lesser chance of getting into law school. I hope that I can score well on this test next month and save it for the next admissions cycle.

Do you know what kind of a chance I may still have for Western and Queens?

I also am applying within the Access Category so I hope this will improve my chances.

You indicated an L2 of 3.87 and an expected LSAT of 165 or better. If you manage to get that LSAT, you are very likely to be accepted to both schools. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, but good luck.

Disclaimer: When I say that you will very likely get into Western and Queens, I mean for 2022 because they will probably not look at a Feb LSAT this cycle.

Applying Access might give you an advantage, but you don't really need it with those stats.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, SNAILS said:

You indicated an L2 of 3.87 and an expected LSAT of 165 or better. If you manage to get that LSAT, you are very likely to be accepted to both schools. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, but good luck.

Disclaimer: When I say that you will very likely get into Western and Queens, I mean for 2022 because they will probably not look at a Feb LSAT this cycle.

Applying Access might give you an advantage, but you don't really need it with those stats.

question, why wont they probably look at a feb lsat this cycle?  can u explain

25 minutes ago, REDDSTAR said:

question, why wont they probably look at a feb lsat this cycle?  can u explain

Most schools operate on rolling admissions. Application deadlines closed due quite some time ago and classes are already filling. 

For what's it's worth Osgoode was my first choice, too. After being accepted elsewhere but rejected at Osgoode I thought "hey, maybe I could transfer next year". Within 2 weeks of school starting I'd fallen in love with my classmates, city, and condo and had no interest in transferring. You may have a different experience but something to keep in mind. 

1 hour ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

For what's it's worth Osgoode was my first choice, too. After being accepted elsewhere but rejected at Osgoode I thought "hey, maybe I could transfer next year". Within 2 weeks of school starting I'd fallen in love with my classmates, city, and condo and had no interest in transferring. You may have a different experience but something to keep in mind. 

what school?

3 minutes ago, REDDSTAR said:

what school?

I'm attending Western but I don't think that that's relevant to the point, which is that in your first year you can get comfortable and may very well no longer want to transfer. 

31 minutes ago, LawBlaw2019 said:

I'm attending Western but I don't think that that's relevant to the point, which is that in your first year you can get comfortable and may very well no longer want to transfer. 

please check PM!

On 1/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, LawBlaw2019 said:

Thanks so much for your input I really appreciate it!!! If I do get in to Queens/Western I'll be sure to keep an open mind about my experience theree :)

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, SNAILS said:

Thanks for the advice!

Fingers crossed that I still have a chance for Queens/Western but I will definitely keep in mind the unlikelyhood of my getting in this cycle.

Just an FYI for anyone who happens to read this thread in the future that I did end up getting an extention from the schools for my LSAT due to my medical situation. It's still going to be hard/unlikely to get accepted or even considered this late into the admissions cycle but we shall see 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MericGertlersTing said:

Just an FYI for anyone who happens to read this thread in the future that I did end up getting an extention from the schools for my LSAT due to my medical situation. It's still going to be hard/unlikely to get accepted or even considered this late into the admissions cycle but we shall see 

That's great to hear! Best of luck, and keep us updated :)